First Deer Hunt Plan D16

Bonejour said:
Doesn't the land around El Cap Reservoir belong to the Viejas Reservation?

Yes

Also there's lots of brush that's taller then you good luck glassing strait up

Hey Dan, I know the area well. Lots of hikers and rock climbers up there. Go check it out, a lot of up hill hiking and heavy tick infested brush to hike through just to get away from the tree huggers. And then when you get to close the cattle rancher he calls the sheriff on you. Good times.

I'm fairly new to this.
I scouted a few times and know where I am hunting on Saturday. I saw signs and a forked that presented himself for what would have been an easy kill, it's public land so there will definitely be other hunters.
What's the protocol to be courteous yet still efficient on my own hunt. Plan on hiking in and getting set up in my spot by at least 4:30-5am. Say I pass another hunter or see a light in a distance, is there a good rule of them on how much distance to put between each other?

bodomwarrior13 said:
I'm fairly new to this.
I scouted a few times and know where I am hunting on Saturday. I saw signs and a forked that presented himself for what would have been an easy kill, it's public land so there will definitely be other hunters.
What's the protocol to be courteous yet still efficient on my own hunt. Plan on hiking in and getting set up in my spot by at least 4:30-5am. Say I pass another hunter or see a light in a distance, is there a good rule of them on how much distance to put between each other?

when some one is all ready their it's their spot. be courteous and go to another spot with good distance.
use common sense, bullets travel far, when to many hunters are in the same area it gets dangerous. if you both are walking in, be courteous and ask them where they are going. get a mutual agreement of each others positions. that way you know where not to shoot. for safety reasons. if you accidentally walk upon an other hunter be courteous and leave to an other spot quietly. do wear orange as stated above.
this distance depends on the terrain, and the area. go where you feel you are not in the line of fire. also keep rocks, or a tree behind your back if possible. be safe.

If you go in the field opening day - bring a gun, be courteous to others, and have fun.

I had a guy bust a Turkey Hunt for my Son - on youth opener cause he was scouting for adult opener.

Just my 2 cents

I was on the mountain yesterday. Didn't see anything except for some tracks. Great time though.

I am headed out shortly. Third time out and only a little time left in the season.
It is always difficult for me to risk searching out a new spot vs going to the place I know best.
I am also learning a lot about scouting. It isn't just about finding the deer it is about knowing the best vantage point, the typical wind, traffic patterns on animal trails, least intrusive way in, etc.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu