Gaiters,gaiters & gaiters which one?

Mocha a

Feb 10, 2013
Need some help finding some snake gaiters. After today's hunt in Cleveland and having three really close incounters :-\ with rattlers I'm now in the market for some. So what should I be looking for when getting some. Are there some brand that are good or some I should stay away from?dont really know much about them but I do know I want some.

Lots of things to consider. Plastic is cheap and effective but gets hot. Check out this discussion of the options:
http://www.uplanders.com/snake-protection-guide/

I think there was a recent thread about this... but I would recommend Turtleskin gaiters, I just picked up a pair a couple months back after having a few close calls with the slithery beasts. They're super flexible and you don't really notice them too much except for they get hot, which isn't a big deal when you're talking about snake safety. I've only tried on one of the other brands (forget which one) but it was kinda clunky and strapped on like catchers' shinguards. Didn't seem too comfy to hike miles in compared to the Turtleskins. Plus if you bust brush like I do while chasing bunnies/birds, it beats the briar thorns and whatnot. Worth a look.

This topic came up before.

Yes. They come down and have a little coverage over the top of the foot but most of them are just calf, shin, and ankle protection. Hopefully you have some nicer quality boots made out of leather or some actual snake boots! The cheap hiking boots from Big 5 probably aren't your best option versus a snake bite.

I have some White Water Gaiters. They weren't expensive and I'll tell you that they are HOT!!! They don't breathe and if you're doing a lot of moving around, prepare for soaking wet legs! Rather have sweaty legs than a snake bite though! I hunt as cheap as possible so they do the same job as the expensive ones (in theory), just have to deal with the discomfort of sweaty legs.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Whitewater-Mens-Snakeproof-Gaiters/725400.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

8SteelTown said:
This topic came up before.

Yes. They come down and have a little coverage over the top of the foot but most of them are just calf, shin, and ankle protection. Hopefully you have some nicer quality boots made out of leather or some actual snake boots! The cheap hiking boots from Big 5 probably aren't your best option versus a snake bite.

I have some White Water Gaiters. They weren't expensive and I'll tell you that they are HOT!!! They don't breathe and if you're doing a lot of moving around, prepare for soaking wet legs! Rather have sweaty legs than a snake bite though! I hunt as cheap as possible so they do the same job as the expensive ones (in theory), just have to deal with the discomfort of sweaty legs.

Why not just get a pair of snakeboots .can i get some pros & cons boots vs. gaiters

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Whitewater-Mens-Snakeproof-Gaiters/725400.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd

I bought a pair of calf high boots instead of gaiters to make sure my feet were protected as well. Id rather suffer with a little heat than take the risk of being bit while being miles from my vehicle whetr my phone doesnt work. After the boots have broken in they are ok to wear on longer hikes.

I purchased white snake chaps, works great but are also very hot. but it is better to sweat than get bit. $20-60K for ant-venom.
looking to get gaiters.

Ghost

/\ what he said/\

I don't know how well my boots are for snake bite but I do wear danner 6" pronghorn boots. I don't care about having sweaty legs better then getting a snake bite even if it's just a dry snake bite. It would still hurt to get bitten. I was looking at the foreverlast gaiters, they have lost of good reviews, of course no first hand experience with bites. Does any one own this set of gaiters? http://t.basspro.com/ForEverLast-Snake-Guard-Shields/product/12020205011219/

My daughter just got me a pair of Rattler Brand gaiters for my birthday (Turner's)......Wore them today......Very light and comfortable......Lot better than my snake boots.

Ok fill me in here it appears gaiters are the choice for snake bite
prevention as apposed to snake boots.....does that mean we are
relying on our hunting boots to protect our feet, or is it proven that
most snake bites occur above the ankle, or are we just hoping they
bite the gaiter and not the foot????????? ???

last guy was wearing surfer shoes or whatever you call them, and he got bit in the foot while walking in the stream. died on the spot because of heart failure.

I wore leather boots for years. and yes I was bitten on the boot and the snake did not penetrate thru. that said it was over forty years ago that happened and my boots where very tough. make sure the boots you wear are tough. or snake boots. to be sure.

I got hit while fishing at lake Wohlford in the boot.....I don't think any snake can penetrate the lower portion of any hard boot......2 cents

ps......It was a small rattler.

I've been hit twice with the turtle skins other than making you jumpy for the rest of the day all is good both hit above the ankle.

Turtle skins are waterproof to help with the dew in tall grass

Well after looking at many review and vid I went and ordered these from basspro. http://t.basspro.com/ForEverLast-Snake-Guard-Pro-Leg-Guards/product/1302070546314/

I know the best are turtleskins gaiters, but don't have the $$ for them. I'll just start saving for them for later but for now these will do. Thanks for all the input.

I have a pair of Rocky ProLight 16" snake boots that I have worn for several years. They are extremely comfortable and are not hot at all. They are under $100. If you get some, get them a half size too big and wear two pair of socks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu