Hammer Reloading

Stikbrandon

May 27, 2021
Guys to start I’m so new to reloading it’s not even funny.

To start @KoozeDeer and I developed a load for my 6.5CM that shot 2.9” at 300 yards in real world conditions at 3150 fps pushin the 80gr HHT.

That was a load that was dropped quickly for the three part mini series that will be dropping next week on all platforms for audio versions and video version will drop on Spotify and YouTube.

That load was 42.7 gr or varget with a fed210 primer with a coal of 2.600

That being said I’m going down the rabbit hole and made up a ladder test of 5shot groups of 3 ends each starting at 42gr in .3 increments to 43.2 with a coal of 2.540

Can’t hurt I’ll post results on this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_7461.jpeg
    IMG_7461.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 14
This is the load results at 300 with Chris and my self

Attachments

• IMG_7463.jpeg
    IMG_7463.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 11
A ton. A factory Barnes LRX 127 gr has a C.O.A.L of 2.753 and feeds no problem, so no issue with the little 80 gr I’m messing with at the seating depth I’m running.

This is cool, keep us posted. I want to see some terminal performance on things with hair also. It would be interesting to see what the 80gr does for penetration.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
This is cool, keep us posted. I want to see some terminal performance on things with hair also. It would be interesting to see what the 80gr does for penetration.

The current load we developed will do! But I’m just a guy that wants to see what I can do with what I got.

Gonna be smashin hogs in April, hope to have a good result, from all the guys that run them, Iv been told they work well

Reactions: 180ls1
Did you do multiple charges as a work up or just pick a charge and go ?
I would think you could get get more out of it with that 80 gr. This is for 90 gr. IMG_5337.png

Did you do multiple charges as a work up or just pick a charge and go ?
I would think you could get get more out of it with that 80 gr. This is for 90 gr. View attachment 61400

So the starting point on hammers website is what I’m going off of and will work up from there. There’s no max powder numbers so I’m taking is slow considering I’m just to new at this game.

IMG_7464.jpeg

IMG_9972.pngHodgdon shows a max of 43 as well, this info was listed with 95g bullets. Likely you could run up past that as the 80hht is lighter.

Reactions: Lungpopper
I love the hammers but everyone keeps chasing speed and being super impressed. I get it there fast but chase accuracy first. Speed is the perk. Hard to beat the H4350 in a creed.

Reactions: TRICER
Often numbers have to be interpreted as the specific listing is not available
Oh, one thing that is interesting… as a bullet is seated further out of the case the internal capacity increases, inherently reducing pressure slightly.

I used to shoot the 95 grain GS Custom bullet out of a .260 Rem @ 3350 fps. Penetration was not an issue.

Pictures of a hog I shot in the front quarter (entered in the chest in front of the shoulder) and exited out of the ham by the butt. Full length of the animal. It died!

Screenshot_20240304_134534_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20240304_134537_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Reactions: 180ls1
I don't want to shoot anything that does that much damage to something I intend to eat.
I have hunted with NBK for over thirty years now and have witnessed many scenarios where he has put an animal down. (never seen him lose one). Sometimes you are only given one opportunity and this may have been the case here. I was not witness to this episode but from what I see and reading his discription it appears to me that this was a solid clean kill with a bit of ham loss but not totally destroyed quarter section. Just sayin...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu