Henshaw today

NBK said:
8SteelTown said:
That's what I keep hearing... Starting to save my money now so I can afford all the required apparatus! ;D

It is a black hole you are stepping into my friend! ;D

I BET! Got a spot that I HOPE nobody knows of. Never seen boot prints besides my own and every time I pass it, there are ducks hanging out. It's a solo hunt jump spot for sure!

NBK said:
8SteelTown said:
That's what I keep hearing... Starting to save my money now so I can afford all the required apparatus! ;D

It is a black hole you are stepping into my friend! ;D
Lol
No doubt. I'll have to clean more than just my garage to get permission for that investment! ;D

Sent via Tapatalk

Interesting thread, but heck, I will jump in. I would like to know if someone can please teach me the secret technique of how how to herd ducks to my Blind location while using a boat? I hunted next to Trig on the opener and I can tell you, if any birds were being herded in his direction, then my buddy and I would have shot them. Lake Henshaw is free roam and not an easy place to hunt. You can set up the morning before the hunt and hope that others will honor your spot at shoot time. Sometimes they don't. If you want a more controlled environment then hunt Wister or SJ. I like Henshaw alot. Trig does a lot for the hunting community. He also puts the time in and so do many of the guys who hunt Henshaw and their hard work will often pay off. As for jump shooting ducks over using decoys, I do plenty of both and both techniques are critical skills depending on your hunting location and situation.

On a lighter note, I was jump shooting ducks up in the Bishop area and a little above. Not much to report. Other than the Upper Owens was a -2 when we rolled up at O'Dark Thirty. Did some flyfishing on Saturday afternoon then set up some decoys at Tinnemaha. Nothing but Buffleheads there. Jump shot at a Mallard on Sunday which was the only duck I came across. Chased Quail until closing time and headed for home. Hunting the closer then it is off to SJ for the Junior Duck Hunt.

John

8SteelTown said:
NBK said:
I feel for the man who has never stepped foot into a waterfowl blind. It is a journey all hunters should experience.

Don't go pro all at once. The camo u have will work. Also like I said cracks probably cheaper. But it's a blast. I may get my first duck print camo soon LOL

This isn't duck hunting out here.......when I was younger I hunted all over the south. Duck hunting was foggy, wet, windy, cold, and everything that didn't move had ice. Plus your lab would have an extra 20lbs just to keep warm.......damn I almost miss that stuff. It was all about wood ducks & mallards, those woodies were hard to hit......this was when lead was all you had.

Henshaw is interesting, always loved the lake. But,,,,is it private or public? Public can pay to hunt, but it would appear that the private members do get a little extra privilege. They do get to leave their blinds and dekes from hunt day to hunt day. Kinda takes away from the guy that wants to play by the rules and setup the day before, only to have most of the good spots with blinds and dekes already there. It is what it is... Just like any organization, there are rules, but there's always the exceptions to the rules 8)

sdhunter: There are plenty of spots to hunt at Henshaw, you just need to know where to go. I don't belong to any club, so I have to get out the day before and set up in a spot. I have had no problems getting into ducks. Sort of like Wister, you need to know where to go and when and no one is going to tell you where to go. It is Southern California, this is probably one of the toughest places to be a duck hunter. The ducks we are after are largely, pretty educated by the time they reach us. We have to work hard to get what we can. Aside from some of the bickering that occurs amongst us, we really are a big, dysfunctional family and we need to look out for one another. I will post up a fresh report after I get back from spraying and praying on Saturday.

John

labsrule said:
sdhunter: There are plenty of spots to hunt at Henshaw, you just need to know where to go. I don't belong to any club, so I have to get out the day before and set up in a spot. I have had no problems getting into ducks. Sort of like Wister, you need to know where to go and when and no one is going to tell you where to go. It is Southern California, this is probably one of the toughest places to be a duck hunter. The ducks we are after are largely, pretty educated by the time they reach us. We have to work hard to get what we can. Aside from some of the bickering that occurs amongst us, we really are a big, dysfunctional family and we need to look out for one another. I will post up a fresh report after I get back from spraying and praying on Saturday.

John

John,
I know the lay out of Henshaw pretty good, I've hunted that lake off and on (more off) since the 90's. The point of my post was.....Henshaw is what it is.... There are folks that get to leave their gear out, don't have to work as hard as "Joe Public", and there's nothing that's going to change that...it is what it is.
I miss the days when some guys used to regularly scull Henshaw, that was fun to watch...and as a bonus, it kept the birds from rafting up in the middle all morning.

The scull boat days would have been sweet. I heard about two guys in particular, who used to hunt it in scull boats and they really had it dialed in. Before my time though. Will post up on Sunday.

John

I hunted it in the 1970's and 1980's religiously. The scull boats were definitely an attribute for us shore hunters. In it's day the duck hunting was spectacular and the goose hunting was fair to good. When the potato fields went fallow the hunting went down hill.

Glad to see the ducks are still cooperating...

Man, I could ony imagine how great the hunting was back then when the potato fields were still there. The geese seems to stay when there's more water. I think this is the lowest I have ever seen the lake before. I remember when the water used to go back to the timbers and we put a hurt on mallards and woodies. I hope those days will return when we get more wet years.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu