Hunt, fish, wilderness exploration & preservation of wilderness & wildlife.

Hunter Fishman

Feb 23, 2015
Hey guys, Hunter Fishman here. I've been hunting southern CA for 14 years now & fished here my whole life for nearly every fresh & saltwater fish available to us in our local waters.
I grew up trout fishing stocked trout & since then exploded into a journey of fishing for anything i could. I've caught just about every species of freshwater fish in southern CA except a sturgeon. I bow fish as well, but saltwater bay fishing is where my heart is. I still have a great deal of species to cross off my list of fish to catch & animals to hunt. I'm somewhere around 43 species of fish & 9 species of game animals. Mostly small game, but hunting mule deer with traditional archery is my ultimate passion & I don't get much satisfaction out of hunting the deer that I spend so much time with in my home woods any other way than with the respect of fair chase.
I don't look down on others for gun hunting, it's just not the style that I have wanted to adopt due to the respect that I have gained for these mule deer by going several years without ever having a shot opportunity, hunting my butt off, learning from my mistakes & developing new disciplinary precautions to increase my success.
So far in my hunting career I have chosen to teach myself by learning to hunt on my own with little help from other people. The reward from doing this far exceeds the reward of taking the life of the animal that you pursue. The amount of knowledge that you gain will drive you far closer to success than if you start your hunt each year on opening day or hunting someone else's spots.
Hunt smart, be safe & have fun!

Welcome to SCH...........That's quite the resume.........There's no substitute for time on the water & woods.....Nice to see someone with passion to spend their time doing it....... 8)

Welcome to the SCH Website and forum Hunter Fishman.

Great first post, and I don't look down on others for bow hunting either - it's just not the style that I have wanted to adopt due to the respect that I have gained for big game animals over the past 40 years. ;)

Enjoy the site...

NBK said:
Welcome to the SCH Website and forum Hunter Fishman.

Great first post, and I don't look down on others for bow hunting either - it's just not the style that I have wanted to adopt due to the respect that I have gained for big game animals over the past 40 years. ;)

Enjoy the site...

Yeah, That's my only dilemma is wanting to put him down quickly with little suffering.
I respect that %100!
I just cant see past the feeling I get that I am just target practicing on a live animal.
I'm sure that will change as I get older but as long as I can spot & stalk with archery, you better believe that I will have a bow in hand throughout deer season.

Dont get me wrong, rifle hunting can be challenging but when it comes down to it, I just cant find satisfaction in pulling the trigger unless its with a pistol or maybe a shotgun.
I'm all about closing the distance & challenging myself to achieve goals on a much harder scale. The harder it is, the more satisfaction I get out of it when I accomplish my goal!
I already know I can drop a deer with a rifle. I shoot the crap out of the coyotes & our deer are... a little bit bigger... I guess. LOL!
My thoughts on it is why do it if it doesn't present a challenge or any satisfaction for myself?
Thats why I bow hunt & practice as many shot scenarios as I can replicate, all year long.
accurate Shot placement is huge & I have disciplined myself to pass if it doesn't feel right.
I unfortunately learned the hard way & shot a deer that couldn't see me but knew I was there & he ducked the string on me. :-[ :-[ :-[
Never again will I take & shot that I'm not %100 about. Its not worth the nightmares that haunt you for the rest of your life. I nearly stopped hunting all together because I was so disgusted with myself, but my passion for hunting is too strong & It grew even stronger because of this & I told myself that If I am to continue to hunt, It would be all or nothing!
I love everything about hunting except the kill. Allot of things have to be right for me to let one fly.
I want to be able to say that I shot a trophy southern CA mule deer, In one of the hardest zones to hunt, with traditional archery equipment, by means of spot & stalk or "still hunting" & closing the distance to 8-15 yards!
There's not many southern CA hunters that can say that!
I would like to meet those that can say that, because until you have done what they have & that I am trying to do, nobody will ever understand the amount of knowledge that you gain from this style of hunting because of the amount of discipline & extremely hard work it takes to be successful.

That's it, I am selling my .260 and taking up something more challenging like racquetball.

What the heck was I thinking?

NBK said:
That's it, I am selling my .260 and taking up something more challenging like racquetball.

What the heck was I thinking?

Does it come with the scope? I have a bad ass racquetball racket, maybe we could make a trade.

Lungpopper said:
Your just one dimensional if you don't use a bow and a gun. :p

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my bow for cheap. To challenge myself more, I'm going hands on with my hunting....literally. No more weapons, just my bare hands.

LP, that's a "One up" on you and your blowgun. I scoff at blowgun hunting. No challenge in that! :mad:

Breacher said:
Lungpopper said:
Your just one dimensional if you don't use a bow and a gun. :p

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my bow for cheap. To challenge myself more, I'm going hands on with my hunting....literally. No more weapons, just my bare hands.

LP, that's a "One up" on you and your blowgun. I scoff at blowgun hunting. No challenge in that! :mad:

Breacher don't try to one up me. You'll just wear yourself out.

If your a bow hunter or hunter period your going to loose game........it's part of life and one to grow on

Love the passion of the young but soon they all see the light

Real men use knifes for the hunt! Grab the back leg of a wild boar while one dog keeps him busy then flip him over and cut his balls off then let him go......that's how you do it on the islands!
In a year or two catch him again but this time just slip the knife into his arm pit and give a twist.....bbq for the entire clan!

MJB said:
If your a bow hunter or hunter period your going to loose game........it's part of life and one to grow on

Love the passion of the young but soon they all see the light

Real men use knifes for the hunt! Grab the back leg of a wild boar while one dog keeps him busy then flip him over and cut his balls off then let him go......that's how you do it on the islands!
In a year or two catch him again but this time just slip the knife into his arm pit and give a twist.....bbq for the entire clan!
But don't forget: if you don't get a pic, it never happened. ;)

I once killed a racoon with a rock and a shovel. You will be surprised the things you are capable of when there is trash spread all over your driveway.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu