Hunter vs land owner?

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Heard Frank (Heavy) Martinez land owner up near Eagle Peak Rd. was arrested for a confrontation with a hunter.....Anyone hear anything about this or just mountain talk?

Reactions: JosueMoney
Heard Frank (Heavy) Martinez land owner up near Eagle Peak Rd. was arrested for a confrontation with a hunter.....Anyone hear anything about this or just mountain talk?
My cousin and I had a confrontation with him a few months back. He is an asshole. We where in public property, he claimed it was his. He told us if we didn’t leave he would have a citizens arrest on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cousin and I had a confrontation with him a few months back. He is an asshole. We where in public property, he claimed it was his. He told us if we didn’t leave he would have a citizens arrest on us.

hmmm... citizen's arrest on hunters with guns. Probably not the smartest idea....

Reactions: Juan
Hi all, I can say with 110% certainty this is not mountain talk and is a real story. Here is a link to the press release website from the Julian Sheriff sub-station. http://apps.sdsheriff.net/press/default.aspx

I encourage anyone who has had problems in the past with property damage, theft, or confrontations in the Eagle Peak area (or specifically with this individual) to contact Deputy Rembold (listed in the press release). It is encouraging to know the Sheriff department is taking events like this seriously and protecting the rights of the public to safely access public lands by taking steps to investigate and hopefully prevent violent confrontations. This situation only ended in a busted lip and bloody nose...this time.

Hopefully this incident will cause us all to think carefully about how to react in a similar situation and shows the importance of knowing where you are at all times and having the maps, GPS, or OnXHunt resources to back yourself up.

Attachments

• PressRelease.pdf
    140.7 KB · Views: 31
When my cousin and I had that confrontation with this guy, he claimed that all the property in red was owned by him.

Please consider contacting the Sheriff deputy and sharing your experience.

Reactions: Juan
Just read the UT article.. glad there was some justice there. The GPS breadcrumbs is a good tip too. Awhile back a warden was talking with me about some trespassing complaints in the Julian area and so he started staking out the area and stopping suspicious hunters, and added that breadcrumbing your track is good backup for us if there's any investigation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here is a picture of the Martinez Gate within CNF:

That area is crazy on opening weekend. I know one land owner there who disconnects their electric gate for D16 opening weekend (leaves it swinging open) because otherwise someone will break it.

Attachments

• 22A72DBA-CD1D-4C62-A896-FF726AB1BC92.jpeg
    22A72DBA-CD1D-4C62-A896-FF726AB1BC92.jpeg
    589.3 KB · Views: 54
Here is a picture of the Martinez Gate within CNF:

That area is crazy on opening weekend. I know one land owner there who disconnects their electric gate for D16 opening weekend (leaves it swinging open) because otherwise someone will break it.

Yup, that’s it. Is that his property line?

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Yup, that’s it. Is that his property line?

His property line is more than a 1/4 mile (closer to 1/2 mile) beyond the gate. But just going to the gate is dangerous (picture was taken before I knew about the danger and I haven’t been back since.)

Reactions: Dawnandusk

Correct me if I am wrong, but his property line begins where the red marker is at right?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu