I purchased my first ever hunting license today.

D

Deleted

I'm very excited. I'm still not quite sure about my first hunt yet. Going to try to get out and scout as much as I can until the time comes. Still reading away here and anywhere else I can learn. Taking a deer hunting class this Saturday too. Just had to share my excitement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Welcome Brian. Consider small game this July if you want to get your family into it. Rabbits are easy to hunt, plentiful and easy to cook, and they taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Deleted
Welcome Brian. Consider small game this July if you want to get your family into it. Rabbits are easy to hunt, plentiful and easy to cook, and they taste good.

I just spent some time reading up on rabbits today as a matter of fact. Kids are a bit young yet at 4 and not quite 2, but my daughter already wants to eat an elk, so there's hope.

Reactions: Bonejour
Rabbits are fun, steel shot required now in CA. Season doesn't open until July your kids will get there soon. This little 410 lays the smack down on bunnies but it's a single shot and kicks like a mule.
IMG_0456.JPG

Rabbits are fun, steel shot required now in CA. Season doesn't open until July your kids will get there soon. This little 410 lays the smack down on bunnies but it's a single shot and kicks like a mule.
View attachment 30049

They look like some happy campers.
I've been reading a bit on the rabbits, and haven't decided weather I should buy a .22 or use a shotgun. I've got a 20 gauge at home, but am looking at a new shotgun for bird hunting this fall anyhow. Right now all I've got is my compound bow, and the 20 gauge, so I'll be making at least a few purchases over the next few months. Deer rifle, shotgun, and/or a .22. Any recommendations?

I'm new as well and would be interested in rabbit.. but have no clue where to start though... Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm new as well and would be interested in rabbit.. but have no clue where to start though... Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the delay. I missed your question till today. This will be a phenomenal year for small game including rabbit, so it's a great way to get started. You can find them anywhere in San Diego County. Look around sources of water and thick cover, like wild roses, sage, etc.
There are some great threads on the "small game forum" on everything from where to find them to preferred method of take (SG vs air rifle vs rimfire), to how to clean them and cook them. Just go to the small game forum, and type "rabbit" into the search window. You'll find 24 threads that are worth reading. Then come back with more questions if you have any.

Reactions: Moves and Deleted
They look like some happy campers.
I've been reading a bit on the rabbits, and haven't decided weather I should buy a .22 or use a shotgun. I've got a 20 gauge at home, but am looking at a new shotgun for bird hunting this fall anyhow. Right now all I've got is my compound bow, and the 20 gauge, so I'll be making at least a few purchases over the next few months. Deer rifle, shotgun, and/or a .22. Any recommendations?
I would recommend investing in a nice 12 gauge semi-auto for its versatility, in case you do get hooked on hunting and want to expand into upland birds, turkey or waterfowl. For rabbits, I end up using a shotgun quite a bit because the areas I hunt are thick, making for few shot opportunities with the rimfire. More open areas I'll bring my .22 (Marlin 60) or my .17HMR (Savage 93R17) to snipe the bunnies along the edges of brushland. Either way, its fun and often successful hunting.
2b43d1ef2df88061e8379ec74f90829a.jpg
3fe31a3f347d0ceffc54bc33b5238fb5.jpg

I would recommend investing in a nice 12 gauge semi-auto for its versatility, in case you do get hooked on hunting and want to expand into upland birds, turkey or waterfowl. For rabbits, I end up using a shotgun quite a bit because the areas I hunt are thick, making for few shot opportunities with the rimfire. More open areas I'll bring my .22 (Marlin 60) or my .17HMR (Savage 93R17) to snipe the bunnies along the edges of brushland. Either way, its fun and often successful hunting.
2b43d1ef2df88061e8379ec74f90829a.jpg
3fe31a3f347d0ceffc54bc33b5238fb5.jpg
I'm thinking that I've narrowed it down to the Savage .17HMR with the bull barrel, a Benelli Supernova, and a Savage 111 in .270. Going to buy the .270 down the road a bit as I applied for an Archery deer hunt this year. Gulps the budget a bit to push that off too.

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the delay. I missed your question till today. This will be a phenomenal year for small game including rabbit, so it's a great way to get started. You can find them anywhere in San Diego County. Look around sources of water and thick cover, like wild roses, sage, etc.
There are some great threads on the "small game forum" on everything from where to find them to preferred method of take (SG vs air rifle vs rimfire), to how to clean them and cook them. Just go to the small game forum, and type "rabbit" into the search window. You'll find 24 threads that are worth reading. Then come back with more questions if you have any.

I've been reading a lot more around here and other sources. I shoot you any questions I come up with for sure. Going to be in San Diego with the family for a week in August. Might have to make a hunt of it.

Reactions: Bonejour
I'm thinking that I've narrowed it down to the Savage .17HMR with the bull barrel, a Benelli Supernova, and a Savage 111 in .270. Going to buy the .270 down the road a bit as I applied for an Archery deer hunt this year. Gulps the budget a bit to push that off too.

Brian,

I owned the Savage 93 .17 HMR with a bull barrel.....I sold it and bought the same gun without the bull barrel.....Still super accurate and much easier to carry around.

Also, if you have the opportunity, try shooting the Nova 1st.....They're can kind of bulky and there's a lot of reasonably priced autos out there these days.

2 cents

Last edited:
6074eb4f6b500300a2c8bfc9628b7453.jpg

X2. I have the bull barrel model and love it, although the regular barrel version shoots just fine too and will shed some weight. As sprig said, for the price of a Nova there are some good options on autos like the Stoeger M3000, or for a couple hundred bucks more you can get into a Beretta A300, Franchi Affinity, or Remington V3.

6074eb4f6b500300a2c8bfc9628b7453.jpg

X2. I have the bull barrel model and love it, although the regular barrel version shoots just fine too and will shed some weight. As sprig said, for the price of a Nova there are some good options on autos like the Stoeger M3000, or for a couple hundred bucks more you can get into a Beretta A300, Franchi Affinity, or Remington V3.
I'm looking at that exact one at Bass Pro. I like a little more weight out front. I feel a little more stable, especially in wind. Same goes for my bow.

Any recommendations on an auto for under a grand?

I'm looking at that exact one at Bass Pro. I like a little more weight out front. I feel a little more stable, especially in wind. Same goes for my bow.

Any recommendations on an auto for under a grand?

All the shotguns I mentioned are under a grand. I shoot a Franchi Affinity and love it.. retails for about $700-800. Also, with the SBE3 out now, there may be deals on used SBE2's around.

Brian,

I owned the Savage 93 .17 HMR with a bull barrel.....I sold it and bought the same gun without the bull barrel.....Still super accurate and much easier to carry around.

Also, if you have the opportunity, try shooting the Nova 1st.....They're can of bulky and there's a lot of reasonably priced autos out there these days.

2 cents

Know of anywhere to test drive shotguns?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu