Is this a Bufflehead? By awful score so far..

benCa

Nov 15, 2021
I'm a newb here, and to hunting, many of you guys have been shamefully helpful, and I do appreciate it.

I've been duck hunting 4 times in my life, got 1 duck last year, a female teal and she was really small (at Henshaw) and some mystery duck which I think is a young Bufflehead (see pic below, and am I right?)

I went to Wister 3 weeks ago or so. I learned a lot, which I stress, because I left with mostly mosquito bugs and some sleep deprivation. But a friend (which I made for that trip) has a place in Arizona and an awesome bass boat. Hunting on a river was something else. Comparing it to Wister, by scenery, comfort, and a lack of bugs would be like comparing a Motal 6 toThe Four Seasons. The only problem is that ducks don't seem to be in the same population density as Wister - or perhaps just generally more spread out. Who knows, I'm not there yet, I'm just happy to, finally get 1 duck. This 1 duck likely cost about 1500 bucks.

Aside from helping my confirm this is a Buffle, if you have any advice for pitching a duck boat to a wife, let me know! Need a good way to spin thatCC34EC04-A799-401A-9EBF-E1E6048ADD9C_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot it and then had to strangle it when it came back to life.

going to eat it of course.. but out of the 3-4 waterfowl cookbooks I have.. there is zero mention of bufflehead. Nothing to do with strangling the poor thing, everything to do with this bourbon and these books.

Buffy....... Hot skillet, some butter, 1min 30 seconds each side hit it with some Garlicsalt.

You want it rare.

Reactions: benCa
Tenderize, dip in egg, dip in italian breadcrumbs, throw in the pan, and you’ve got one of the tastiest meals out there, no matter what others say! A limit of buffles would be a great day for me! Fast fliers and able to soak up the steel as you saw.

No shortage of mosquitos on the river when they're out, you just hit it on a colder day. Lots of ducks out there too, just need a better location/scout.

Ohhh and don't ask just go get it. This won't be your forever boat, just one of many. Boats are like wives, takes 3 or 4 to get it right
This strikes me as wise before my time. I do live by the adage "ask for forgiveness and never permission" A married man who doesn't know that lesson married a dude or just got married.

I want a duck boat I can also do some salt water fishing, it looks possible, all it takes is a lot of money and some proper expectations. But I would rather have a quiver of boats depending on that days mood.

I think the advanced move is to buy your wife a separate house a few miles away, then you also get more boat storage.

Regarding the question on “ what kind of duck is this ?”
If you don’t know what kind of duck it is, you shouldn’t shoot it or at it !
For one it’s not ethical, secondly Mr. Green Jeans isn’t going to care that you don’t know the rules if you shoot something that is illegal!

For one it’s not ethical, secondly Mr. Green Jeans isn’t going to care that you don’t know the rules if you shoot something that is illegal!
Would never have pulled the trigger if I didn't know it was legal. Indeed, if I already had a duck, I would haven't have pulled the trigger unless it was a confirmed mallard or canvasback.

I'm new to hunting, but, I'm not an idiot contrary to whatever my wife told you.

@benCa pretty much a non starter to mix duck hunting with saltwater fishing. To hard to hide a big boat. To get birds to decoy you need to brush up your boat pretty much tip to tail. If you got cash get a prodrive flat bottom boat with a surface drive. If you are just the average guy get a beat up Jon boat. Stick a 15 to 25 hp outboard and go Hunt

You don't really think a new hunter should be able to correctly identify every duck in the air, right? If you haven't hit the mallard hen or pintail limit what is the harm in shooting a duck you can't 100% identify in the air?

I've been on guided hunts where guides who have guided for decades misidentify ducks in the air once in a while.

Reactions: HATCHET1 and benCa
@benCa pretty much a non starter to mix duck hunting with saltwater fishing. To hard to hide a big boat. To get birds to decoy you need to brush up your boat pretty much tip to tail. If you got cash get a prodrive flat bottom boat with a surface drive. If you are just the average guy get a beat up Jon boat. Stick a 15 to 25 hp outboard and go Hunt
Hiya, thanks for the input here and this is the conclusion I'm coming to.. Basically, my duck boat can be a freshwater boat, but salt water seems to be something different. I have a hobie tandem sail/kayak which I love.. still... nice to stretch an expensive boat out to as many pastimes as I can..

The route you suggested is affordable enough that I don't have to factor in the divorce costs, making it an even bigger bargain ;-P

But, I do like to live a little, so I might go a little bigger, really diggin the Lowe Roughneck series...

Reactions: ilovesprig
You don't really think a new hunter should be able to correctly identify every duck in the air, right? If you haven't hit the mallard hen or pintail limit what is the harm in shooting a duck you can't 100% identify in the air?

I've been on guided hunts where guides who have guided for decades misidentify ducks in the air once in a while.
For the record.. we weren't familiar with Buffleheads, and we lost 2 other chances to shoot worrying about species. 2 actually swam right into our decoys, and we still held off. Note that Buffleheads are NOT listed in AZ or CA regulations! And on the river, this, and a millions coots, where all we saw.

(coots must taste awful, as the possession limit in AZ is 75!)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu