July 1st is fast approaching

8SteelTown

Ok... first upland game of the new season... who's going out for cotton-tail? I've got 2 weekends planned out in July so far. Going to try a few new recipes.

SurfNHuntSD said:
I forget it opens in July. I usually just go after em while I'm chasing quail in the fall. Any problems with eating summertime bunnies or are those just myths?

I've seen worm infestations only a few times. Some people are squeamish about them but as long as you cook them to a temp to kill bacteria, you're fine (IMHO). It doesn't really get too cold where I hunt besides a few weeks of overnights late in the winter so it is what it is. Just don't go throwing them in your bird bags without checking for fleas first. Almost took home a bunch of fleas last year... momma would've been unhappy with the newborn baby in the house!

I use to hunt them in the early season until a couple of years ago. My boys shot a couple and when I wen to skin them, I found these :

botfly.jpg

I wait until it's cold now.

I have made my daugher skin a few, you kill it you clean it! But that would totaly freak her out.

Right around the corner. Give me a call if you want a tag along. I'll scout up in our areas and see if they're out up there too. I've seen a few so far.

July 1st is a tradition in out family. It's how all new hunters old and young start as far as I'm concerned. I've got my 11 and 12 yr olds as well as my 35 yr old step son and Nephew in his 20s this year all starting out. At least my littl ones have been hunting with me and have years of outdoor experience. My step son and nephew are city boys but I'm slowing teaching them the ways of the woods.

I'm ready to go! I've got my eyes on dozens of rabbits...I don't think my neighbors, CVPD , or DFG would be happy with me hunting in my front yard though! I guess I'll go out east. Anybody in south or east SD want to go?

BamaDJ said:
I'm ready to go! I've got my eyes on dozens of rabbits...I don't think my neighbors, CVPD , or DFG would be happy with me hunting in my front yard though! I guess I'll go out east. Anybody in south or east SD want to go?
I'm game... but I didn't see many bunnies this spring while turkey hunting so I gotta think of some new spots.

I can't wait till the opener of rabbit season I'm also gonna use it to scout for deer I saw a monster 4x4 two years ago on the opener that was the biggest deer I've ever seen in San Diego dead or alive itsalways a ton of fun I've hunted them on the opener for the last 3 years and have always been able to kill a limit but never do because we don't like to shoot more than we can eat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it that I see so many bunnies when I'm not hunting? But when I go out looking for them I never see me?

Baldkrash said:
Why is it that I see so many bunnies when I'm not hunting? But when I go out looking for them I never see me?

That's always the case: Went for coyote once and had 100 crows circling and dive bombing my decoy at 10-20 feet... didn't want to scare away the dogs (missed opportunity). Went for turkey and had a coyote at 50 yards at day break... didn't want to scare away the turkey (missed opportunity). Went for quail and had cottontail all over the place but the big quail covey hadn't made any noise yet so I didn't know where they were and didn't want to scare them off before they moved to the watering hole (missed opportunity). You always find what you're not hunting when you are hunting different game. That's why I like the golden weeks where EVERYTHING is legal! Hops Drops / Flies Dies.

Needless to say, I've never gotten a crow, a turkey, or a coyote. From now on, opportunity presents itself, game is going down and i'll deal with my original quarry later.

You guys ever gut your bunnies by the squeeze and slide method? http://youtu.be/0V6f-EX0-7w Just found out about this in the off season and can't wait to try it! Gonna be some gut piles for sure!!

I'm just saying

http://youtu.be/8kadQxHmk90

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu