Leg Surgery. Who's had it? Could use advice.

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
I fully detached my hamstring and will need surgery. I've had surgery before on my arm, but not my legs. I feel like I have a good healing protocol down but what are the things I should know for legs? I will be using a brace and crutches for 6 week and go from there. The advice I am seeking is more around the house, sleeping and day to day stuff that I should do ahead of time.

Thanks in advance.

popped ham.jpg

Damn Adam...I know it looked ugly...Now, 6 weeks...Hopefully you'll be ready to go my Sept 1st.................. :blush:

Sure hope you take it to that turkey next year...Some payback comin...Damn

Reactions: ilovesprig
Get a good recliner and a cold therapy machine. I tore my knee cap off and spent months hobbling around.

The ice machine is the bomb, with that electro muscle spaz thing! Learn to one leg it and let your mind go wild.

Reactions: 180ls1
These are the cold therapymachinesim talking about. . And they make different pads for different areas you want to treat. No messy ice bags that you need to refill and it can stay strapped to your leg and you just use the quick disconnect to unhook the hoses when you get up. Make sure to get an insulated one too so they stay cold longer and don't sweat all over

Polar Active Ice 3.0 Cold Therapy Ice Machine System w/Programmable Timer, Shoulder Pad & Compression Wrap for Targeted Coverage, Lightweight 9qt Cooler, Quiet Pump, Cryotherapy Pain Relief Treatment https://a.co/d/gTLewUB

These are the cold therapymachinesim talking about. . And they make different pads for different areas you want to treat. No messy ice bags that you need to refill and it can stay strapped to your leg and you just use the quick disconnect to unhook the hoses when you get up. Make sure to get an insulated one too so they stay cold longer and don't sweat all over

Polar Active Ice 3.0 Cold Therapy Ice Machine System w/Programmable Timer, Shoulder Pad & Compression Wrap for Targeted Coverage, Lightweight 9qt Cooler, Quiet Pump, Cryotherapy Pain Relief Treatment https://a.co/d/gTLewUB

Any advice for around the house or just day to day stuff? My wife can take care of a lot and I can work from home.

I snapped my Achilles in 2014 and it sucked. The break was in early March I was back to work in 4 months and had a bull tag that fall. Listen to your doctor to a T and don’t over do it. Listen to you physical therapist and listen to a T and don’t over do it. When they turn you loose train like hell but listen to your body. Ice baths are the gayest trend in the firehouse right now but I was talked into it and it’s the real deal felt great the next morning. I also stabbed myself in the leg and cut half my quad tendon on a deer hunt. That sucked also but healed a little easier rhan the achillies.

Then there's that broken ankle I had in December at Wister...Ugly swollen, black & blue...Kept my waders on while hunting with Otto, drove home, iced it, and wrapped some kind of tape around it...Finished out the season...5 months later, I barely feel it........ :joy:

Rest as much as possible, ice it with the cold therapy, elevate with a recliner

My first hip replacement was in May 2012. By September 2012 I was in Southern Sierra's hunting and fishing.

Be sure to do your PT and do at home as well. Used a toilet seat riser as well, which may be usefull for your injury. Avoid throw type rugs.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
I just has oral surgery a couple hours ago that shit is no joke. Hurts way more they any others I've had.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu