Long Range Project 6.5 SAUM

Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

NBK said:
Received the rifle back from Darrel Holland. The radial brake looks awesome! Now only a few more steps. I will be bedding the rifle next. I am using Marine Tex. I am going to do the bedding myself (actually El Matavenados is going to help me). Then it will only need paint and to be scoped. Depending on our Cerakote schedule, I may shoot the gun before paint.

Sooooo - I think I am literally just a few weeks away from the range!
Let's get out there and shoot, brother! I'll bring my earplugs!
Lol

RSAUM.jpg Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Here is a quick snapshot of the RSAUM with the new Darrell Holland radial brake. Getting more stoked!

note to self, do not lay prone and shoot next to NBK with that omg big brake the SCH CUP this spring.

20151030_213602 copy.jpg 20151030_230426 copy.jpg Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Rifle has been bedded into the stock. Curing now. More pictures tomorrow as well as play by play regarding the bedding process.

20151103_213623.jpg 20151103_213644.jpg Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Ok...running out of time so I am skipping the Cerakote for a few weeks. Tonight was spent installing the Jewel trigger, mounting the scope base, lapping the rings and carefully mounting the scope.

I went with a Bighorn picatinny rail, Seekins Precision rings and a Bushnell Elite LRHS scope

The gun is heading to the range tomorrow to run a few round through it and see how it shoots. Then it goes hunting at the beginning of next week. And when I return, it gets stripped back down and Cerakoted then reassembled.

I will report back the initial results from the first range session tomorrow evening. Nine months in the making...

TheRig.jpg 5shot.136.jpg Worst.jpg Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Drewski2324 said:
Its beautiful! Is the camo paint job from the factory? Is the cerakote to cover the camo?

Camo is McMillan factory molded. And I might just paint over it. Not sure if I like it or not.

Just returned from the range a few minutes ago after shooting the new rig for the first time. I ran 30 rounds through it. Or 6 different 5 round loads. The best 5 shot load measured .136" and the worst measured .604". Below is the best and the worst.

Best Load was:

Berger 140 Grain VLD's
60 grains H1000
Federal 215M primer
Nosler Brass
Brass OAL 2.016"
Necks turned .015"
COAL based on Ogive 2.225"

I am pleased to say the least - the rig shoots.

Did u shoot that group with the gun sitting in the sled its pictured on or off bags.

That is an incredible group. Bet it felt great building that thing from scratch loading your own rounds and then producing that kind of a group your first night at the range.

Last stage of the project. The gun has been dismantled and is in for Cerakote (Fine Firearms). Nine months later and it will actually be done. Will post picture when complete.

Is that a three shot group in the best picture?!

Cerakote.jpg Re: Long Range Project 6.5 RSAUM 4S

Pictured below is the end of the build. The barreled action cooking in the Fine Firearms Cerakote oven. The green rifle on the left is my 6.5 RSAUM and Lungpopper's 6.5x284 is on the right (JP does an amazing job with the Cerakote). Can't wait to get it reassembled and back on the test bench.

I am sure lungpopper will post something about his new build as well.

you doing the cerakote by yourself ?

baboltin said:
you doing the cerakote by yourself ?

No, all Cerakote work is being done by JP (owner of Fine Firearms). His work is impeccable...

Everything we are doing is coordinated though the shop. So if you want a gun built or painted Fine Firearms is your one stop long range shop! :)

I wonder what they would charge to cerokote a handgun for my wife and I

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu