never been duck hunting

RedRiderF26

Jun 23, 2014
i wanna go like NOW!! Are the ducks that are listed under the daily bag limit the only ducks im permited to take?

:Seven ducks per day, which includes no more than two hen mallards (or Mexican-like ducks in the Colorado River Zone), two pintail, two canvasback, two redheads and three scaup (which may only be taken during the 86-day scaup season).

Also are the ducks only permited to my shot in flight? Can I use duck calls? I know I need steel shot and all the proper validations.

RRF26,

Welcome to SCH.......Go to Turner's, Big 5, DFW office, Wal-Mart, or wherever they have the waterfowl regulations booklet.....READ THEM THOROURHLY.....It will save you lots of money.....Also get a bird ID book.

I also suggest you read KNOW YOUR DUCKS here on SCH and as many of the pinned threats as possible.....Hunting ducks without a mentor is really tough.....Apply for reservations through the DFW website and if you get drawn, announce on here you got a number (San Jacinto & Wister).....You'll find lots of new waterfowling friends..... ;)

the ducks listed are their limits only, you can take seven total, lets say you get 7 mallards, only 2 of them can be a hen, you can only take 2 pintail, 2 cans, 2 redhead and 3 scaup. another example, if you shoot 2 redhead you can then take 5 other ducks.

As an avid duck hunter shooting a duck on the water isn't too sportsman like. I see people do it and I head the other direction. its about the hunt not the kill. shoot em in the air, get to know your distance, a 50 yard shot is max you want to shoot with steel #4s or #2's.( I personally use 3" black cloud), on a clear day 100 yards looks close, don't shoot. we call this sky busting and it ruins the hunt for others, get some decoys, a dozen or so. throw them out, I usually hunt over my decoys at 10 to 20 yards, use a call but practice first. a bad call will send them the other way. google duck call videos. listen and practice. the majority of us can identify a duck at 100 yards+, its a huge fine shooting a bird over limit, know what your shooting at, watch videos on duck identification. have fun

i just applied for a reservation at san jac... I live in hemet so its just a 20 minute drive for me. Im gonna go with my bro who has also never gone. What choke would you guys recommend I use?

Use modified for everything till you learn what to do, even then modified is almost always the answer.

My 2 cents, go with somebody who has a clue first. Otherwise, you will learn the hard (and costly way). I have had to do that myself, it is pretty hard to find someone willing to show you the ropes. Hunting is a skill learned over time, and not something that is given away lightly. Don't be afraid to ask any questions on regs or anything like that, especially on here. There are lots of guys who will help. Also, like mentioned above if you pull a good res you are much more likely to get people who want to go with and they may know the best areas at the time. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I will worn u that duck hunting is like crack once u have a taste u cant stop. Start with some decoys and a shotgun and go do it. Its extremely fun when u get it right. I love wacking big green heads. If your san diego county then the saltin sea is the place to go just be very carefull ob the sea. It has killed a few guys and dogs so watch your step. Good luck and have fun.

I shoot full choke for ducks every season and my choke tubes and barrels are just fine. Ive never once had any issues neither has any one of my hunting buddys that use full chokes.

bloodlover said:
I shoot full choke for ducks every season and my choke tubes and barrels are just fine. Ive never once had any issues neither has any one of my hunting buddys that use full chokes.

Then you guys are the 1st......... :-[

That's why full chokes pretty much state on them.......Lead shot only........... ;)

disclaimer... always shoot following the manufactures recommendation for choke use. if you do not know call the maker of your gun or choke tube and ask them!

I only shoot a couple ducks a year so take this for what it is, just my opinion and that's all.

The idea behind chokes is to give you a desired pattern at the range you will be shooting. A open choke like improved cylinder (IC) or skeet will fan out quick leaving you with bird size gaps at longer range. Inversely a full choke will give you a tight pattern that will make it harder to hit up close but retain pattern density at a longer range.

If you shoot a duck at 15 yards with a full choke and steel shot its going to be dead! it might also be missing a large part of its body! The same duck would be just as dead if shot with a IC and steel. Now take that out to 40 yards and your duck shot with a full and steel is dead but your IC and steel might have found a gap in your pattern and is now running fast out to the sea to hide from you.

its all about compromise, shoot the tightest choke you can reasonably kill birds with at the limit of your range and up close. To tight and you will miss a lot up close, to loose and you will miss or worse cripple a lot far out.

why do i shoot Mod with steel? for me it gives reasonable range with a pattern that can still hit crossing teal at 15 yards if need be. its a bit tight up close but i would rather not cripple a bird at 35 yards so i keep the pattern tight. If i miss no big deal there will be 100 other willing ducks to come by. Even at mod choke you can chew up a bird that is feet down and close but i can live with that.

this is something that every scatter gunner has to figure out with their gun. For every guy that swears that his xtra full super mod ic with cooling fins is the bomb choke and everyone is doing it wrong there is a guy shooting a open choke and killing just as many birds. Go pattern your gun and report back what you find. then put your mod choke in and leave it. : )

lol @ bloodlover do you hunt with steeltown i hear he likes to sky bust too........... brb gota make popcorn

Bill,

This isn't a killing a bird issue......All chokes were made to spec for lead......If you mic a choke that says full steel......You'll probably find out it's a modified choke (lead)......Every publication about steel says that the restriction can not be tight with the unforgiving steel......I know of at least 2 guys that shot BB thru a full choke and both their barrels were bulged to a the point where they're never getting that tube out of a $1,500.00 SBE.....Even my modified chokes are extremely tight in my SBE's from shooting BBB.

DO NOT SHOOT STEEL THRU FULL CHOKED GUNS (especially older guns)......Extra full would be even worse.

NBK......What are your thoughts?

I agree 100% sprig. Not to mention there is just zero reason to.

RedRiderF26 - sent you a PM but not sure it went through as I'm not seeing it in my messages. Let me know if you didn't get it and I'll resend.

Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone reading this :eek:

Anyway, for what it's worth, I shoot an IC choke for all my waterfowl hunting.

sdhunter said:
Felt like I was in the Twilight Zone reading this :eek:

Anyway, for what it's worth, I shoot an IC choke for all my waterfowl hunting.

As sdhunter said I use a factory IC for all waterfowl which is 90% geese. I also use 3 inch 2s 90% time occasionally using 3.5inch 2s

Pattern different shells thru your gun, shoot what patterns the best, don't listen to all the hype!

I use full choke because i believe it gives me less cripples. I use kent steel shot shoots fantastic through my shotgun. 3 inch or 3.5 inch shells all shoot great put no strain at all on my shotgun. My extra full shoot just as well. It will definatly put ducks down. Shoot them high or low it works great.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu