never been duck hunting

From Gun Tech..........Not that it's going to change your mind.........I've patterned a ton of steel and modified or IC have always patterned best.

.https://youtu.be/d3MqLp473Oc

Most cripples come from poor shooting or shooting too high, any duck inside of 30yds should be killed clean with steel 20 ga loads

Focus in on getting birds close instead of shooting high

I shoot a few ducks and use IC nearly all the time. I also don't think you could go wrong using the mod tube for everything as others have said. Most factory full choke tubes say "not for use with steel shot" so using extra full as in an aftermarket turkey choke seems crazy to me. If it works for you great but to suggest that to new hunters is irresponsible.

Theres quite a few choke manufacturers that make full chokes for steel. Plus if a hunter believes in a full choke gives him less cripples then it does. It doesnt mean hes shooting at birds at extended ranges or skybusting thats what i prefer to use and works extremely well. I didnt know recommending a choke tube was irrisponsable either, thats a knew one to me. I guess we should all use the exact. Same equipment as each other so no one can learn there own way. Man i wish i knew as much as u guys it would be awsome to be that ignorant. To the poster shoot what ever gives u confidence because that matters way more then what the duck commander crew on this forum can tell u.

bloodlover said:
Extra full is always the answer. For ducks

I guess I've been doing all wrong for a long time!

To the OP, you really need to pattern your gun and try different shot gun shells and different factory chokes before you invest in aftermarket chokes. Don't throw a bunch of money at this sport until you figure out what is best for you

I shoot a 870 pump, my back up gun is a 870 pump, I shoot the factory IC choke that came with it and the large majority of shells I shoot are Winchester HV 12 ga 1 & 1/8th oz 2s, 1550 fps. I don't buy into all the hype of expensive shells, I shoot what I have confidence in as should you. I'm assume that you're concentrating on ducks so steel 2s should be just fine. I rarely shoot ducks unless I'm forced to, I shoot geese 30 to 40 days a season and 12 ga 2s stack them up just fine, just ask the 300 plus geese I shot last year. Below is just a few of last seasons pics, on these two hunts one in Canada I had 20 geese on just over 30 shells, the other from Sacramento where I had 14 snows and 1 blue on 20 shells, IC choke 3" 2's

Attachments

• 2013SNOWS1.jpg
    2013SNOWS1.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 25
  • snows_blue.jpg
    snows_blue.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 25
BL,

Nobodies trying to be the duck commander, but I can tell you Jeff (mud pigeon), Stefan (Kid Creole), and myself have probably hunted ducks & geese longer than you've been alive. And many of us have found out the hard way what's good and bad.....We're just trying to save someone some heartache when they find their barrel bulged.

I'll say it one more time for anyone new to waterfowling......Do NOT shoot steel out of a lead full choked gun.

ps.....If you're shooting a steel full as stated on the choke tube, then that's an entirely different thing.....Again, it will probably be a standard lead mod or IC.

pss.....What gun are you shooting? And what does your choke tube say?

regardless of the opinions, great advice from every one. for one who does not duck hunt. very informative. 8)

I read some of the new barrels are built to take steel shot but don't quote me and for God sake always verify for
your self's.

see the images from bulge
https://www.google.com/search?q=barrel+bulge+from+shooting+steel&biw=1280&bih=953&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCInl7oi3h8kCFQTVYwodGoENaA

and this
http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/duck/hunting-methods/non-toxic-shot/possible-effects-to-guns

edit : an other

http://www.chuckhawks.com/steel_shot_barrel_damage.htm

Listen to these guys they no it all ill besure to bow next time. You think because u shot a few geese u know more then the rest. I mainly shoot geese unless i have to shoot ducks what a joke. I think we need to dedicate a forum to the new so cal duck commanders.

bloodlover said:
Listen to these guys they no it all ill besure to bow next time. You think because u shot a few geese u know more then the rest. I mainly shoot geese unless i have to shoot ducks what a joke. I think we need to dedicate a forum to the new so cal duck commanders.

The statement I made about shooting ducks is an inside joke among a few old time friends on this board. Guys that know me know, know geese are my passion. And yeh I have shot a few geese, maybe several 1000.

redrider, I just picked up two truck loads of used duck decoys, they are dirty and need to be cleaned, some might need to be painted, if you need a few doz to get started PM me, I'll swap you a can of diet coke for a decoy ha ha

But some might say I don't know what I'm doing, the pic below is why you really don't need full chokes for ducks or in this case geese, I guess I just got lucky landing 500 of them in the decoys and just letting them walk around

Attachments

• 20_30_yds.jpg
    20_30_yds.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 26
https://support.remington.com/General_Information/Can_I_use_steel_shot_in_my_shotgun_barrel%3F

full choke must state safe for steel shot. other wise no, sorry bloodlover. from the remy site
any thing prior to 1963 no go, or full choke and does not say safe for steel shot. :'(
which is my Winchester model 50 is no go, but my mossy 500 is a go :-*

Ghost

I vote BLOODLOVER here by a noob untill proven otherwise.....

Shooting steel threw an EXTRA FULL LEAD CHOKE is a noob mistake and can cause damage to your gun or worse!

Don't want to beat a dead horse, but this warning is taken right from the back of my Carlson's choke tubes that are specifically rated for steel... "Do not shoot steel shot larger than BB or any steel load faster than 1550 FPS through the Full or Extra Full Constrictions." If you do not know the rating of your full chokes do not shoot steel shot through them (especially larger BB's sizes). You risk irreversibly damaging your guns. It's not that hard to visualize... you have have a chunk of metal flying down the end of your barrel at very high speeds. The smaller the hole at the end, the more force it takes to push through. If that metal is softer than your choke/barrel (lead) the shot constricts. If that metal is harder than your choke/barrel (steel) your barrel losses the battle. Tighter constrictions, faster moving loads, and softer metals in your barrel/choke make the problem worse.

Bloodlover don't get butt hurt because you got called out on shooting full choke guns with steel shot. What did you expect to happen?

To all the new guys, there is a vast amount of knowledge on this site. Many of he members not only give advice here but actively do it out in the real world. A lot of us know each other in the real world so don't let our inside jokes put you off, join in and be a part of the fun! Trust me we all do dumb stuff chasing ducks.

I wasnt called out on anything i shoot the kicks high flyer and carlson extra full all the time thats all i shoot they are rated for steel shot all day long. Just not bb shot. To many no it all old men on here that think there always right.

I find it very hilarious that somebody thinks they no more about my shotgun set up then i do. Thats like claiming they no more about u then u do.

bloodlover said:
To many no it all old men on here that think there always right.
You really haven't spent much time on this forum if you think that the group of guys on here is a group of know it all old men. I've seen know it alls on other forums. These so called old men have a lot of experience and are great hunters but they may make blunt statements but the thing is they truly want others to learn from there own mistakes. We all at one point may have taken offense at something someone has said but you just have to cowboy up and move on it ain't worth wasting your time arguing over. If you pay attention you can learn a lot from these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodlover said:
I wasnt called out on anything i shoot the kicks high flyer and carlson extra full all the time thats all i shoot they are rated for steel shot all day long. Just not bb shot. To many no it all old men on here that think there always right.

Once again a noob mistake, you can't assume we all know your not a noob when you post noob responses .... You should have mention that you were shooting a steel shot choke. You would not have got the response's you got.

Iv been a duck hunter for a few years now, I believe Iv killed many ducks in the few years Iv been smashing them. I can tell you this, I am a noob. These KNOW IT ALL's, take there words and use them, there not jumping on you over your choice in choke, they were giving you information on the danger of shooting steel threw a choke ment to shoot lead. You made it seem you were shooting a stock out of the box full choke that came with your gun.

Welcome to the fourm bloodlover

your kicks full for a remington is a .710 diameter, the extra full is a .702 that makes them a MOD and Improved MOD.( had a hard time finding the data) I cant find the data on the Carlson. Can you mic them for us just out of curiosity.

The confusion created by manufactures that call their chokes full or xfull when they are not is kinda annoying. some makers call them midrange, extended, and full Wister.

i am not old by the way, just wore out.

link to one of the choke makers ( hevi shot) that lists the chokes correctly and safely with dimensions.
http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/hevi-choke-waterfowl/

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu