never been duck hunting

Assuming that the post about using 3 inch in a 2 3/4 barrel isn't a joke, Aeon's post and illustration is good info. The bottom line for a 2 3/4 shooting a 3 inch is that the 3 inch will fit in the chamber because the shell is closed. Take a fired 2 3/4 shell and measure it. It will measure out at 3 inches. The chamber is big enough for the shell to open up which means the chamber is actually about 3 inches in a 2 3/4 inch barrel. When 3 inch is fired in a 2 3/4 inch barrel the shell opens up to 3 1/4 inches, (and not all the way as it is designed to do), into the forcing cone and, as Aeon's post stated, causes a pressure spike because the shell won't open as it is designed to. You might get away with it for a while but you are running the risk of a catastrophic failure, as Aeon noted, right next to your face.

But, as I always say, pay your money, take your chances.

More times than not, it will blow the plastic end of a 3" shell off......The other problem is jamming......The exit on the receiver is designed for a 2 3/4" shells, not a 3".

ps.....I was always under the impression that the 1100 Magnum was capable of shooting 3" shells......Hence, the magnum designation.

So if my Remi 870 shoots 2 3/4 and 3, i shouldn't be shooting 3's. Even says on Remingon's site that it shoots 3" shells. Seems sketchy for them to advertise it if it were unsafe. Not debating it. Just wondering if I'm playing roulette.

Jesse,

On the Remington barrel (if original) of your gun, it will state 2 3/4" AND 3" only......What you can't shoot would be 3 1/2"shells.....Just about all newer 870's accept 3" shells.....The Rem 870 Express Super Mag accepts all 3 1/2" length of shells.

Fowl Play said:
Blaster, a 1100 mag should take 3" shells? Is the barrel off a different gun?
Not sure about where the barrel is from, but it is definitely for the gun. It was my grandpa's and may have been on there for dove, I will have to see if I have another barrel. It just never crossed my mind.

For the rest of the posters, let me try to make this less confusing. The gun is designed to shoot up to a 3 inch shell. The barrel is stamped 2 3/4 and is designed to shoot only 2 3/4 shells but it fits on to the same gun. Hence, the gun will chamber and shoot 3 inch, but it is not supposed to with the 2 3/4 barrel on there. I believe it is Aeons previous post which explains why.
8 steeltown, if your barrel says it can shoot 3's and your gun can shoot 3's, then you can shoot 3s. No one is saying otherwise, they are talking about shooting 3's from a 2 3/4 barrel.

Fowl Play said:
MasterBlaster66T said:
No, I get it. The 12 is larger. I am missing what your saying about the chamber though. It is made for threes, but the barrel does not appear to be. It would be great to go to the range though, cus it does sound a little sketchy still to me. I'm not exactly sure what trolling is.

sent using a JEDI MIND TRICK from MARS

Could you post up a picture of your gun. Also a picture of the markings that say 2 3/4"

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1447993664647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1447993664647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
You can actually have that barrel reamed out to take 3 inch shells.....Many years ago, I had Duncan's do it for me on an 870 barrel.....Just make sure the barrel isn't a full choke...... ;)

ps.....The choke can be modified as well.

That appears to be a standard 1100.......Normally 2 3/4" shells only......Does it say Magnum on the other side?

b1706429c29d2290481cce3783cc5968.jpg
barrel

Thanks for the ream advice. Look at the first picture, it says magnum on the receiver.

sent using the FORCE with a JEDI MIND TRICK

Sorry about that......Yes, it does (upside down... :-[)......You just need a 3" barrel.....Should be readily available on a very common gun.

ilovesprig said:
Sorry about that......Yes, it does (upside down... :-[)......You just need a 3" barrel.....Should be readily available on a very common gun.
No prob, thanks sprig. I actually just got a versamax and can't wait to try it out! Still waiting on a barrel though.

RedRider must think we all sit in the duck blind all day and argue about chokes !

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu