New Laws

MrBamboo

Nov 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hey, I am wondering with the new laws in our state regarding ammo and reloading components, is anyone stocking up on reloading components or ammo before the new law in 2019 takes effect?

I am not aware of new laws regarding components starting in 2019? I know that in 2019 lead will be completely outlawed in the state for hunting and public land shooting. If you are asking if I am stocking up on lead the answer is definitely no.

A lot of laws regarding ammo and guns started January 1,2018 Can you be more specific as to what new law is concerning you?

The New Law .

Take a look https://www.oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/15-0098 (Firearms)_0.pdf

Section 16150 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

(b) As used in subdivision (a) of Section 30305 and in Section 30306, "ammunition" includes, but is not limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. "Ammunition" does not include blanks.

Section 30306 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
(a) Any person, corporation, er firm, or other business enterprise who supplies, delivers, sells, or gives possession or control of, any ammunition to any person who he or she knows or using reasonable care should know is prohibited from owning, possessing, or having under custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded ammunition pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 30305, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
No, this does not mean components to ammo. Though it seems you wont be able to fire a speed loader, magazine or autoloader from you firearm with a deadly consequence.:)

Reactions: D_unit760
The bottom line is you can buy ammo from any FFL licensed store that carries ammo.....Bass Pro Shop had plenty of turkey loads....Turner's even had TSS here in San Diego Co.

Thanks for the replies, in the wording I put above, a bullet is considered "Ammo", and a cartridge is also considered "Ammo", so if you can reload without buying any bullets then good luck.

I had to file my FFL's with out of state companies in order to purchase just bullets.

My take is to get the FFL and walk away from it all.

Thanks for the replies, in the wording I put above, a bullet is considered "Ammo", and a cartridge is also considered "Ammo", so if you can reload without buying any bullets then good luck.

I had to file my FFL's with out of state companies in order to purchase just bullets.

My take is to get the FFL and walk away from it all.

From what I was told during my application process. Was If I use my FFL for personal use only & not as a dealer, My FFL would be revoked.

From what I was told during my application process. Was If I use my FFL for personal use only & not as a dealer, My FFL would be revoked.

Yes, you are right. Please correct me if I am wrong, with dealer FFL you are limited, but you can still transfer from your "store" to your personal collection using a form 4473. However, as a collector or other "Personal" FFL, you meet the State requirements (under this new law) and are not disobeying your Fed FFL license.

I am not aware of new laws regarding components starting in 2019? I know that in 2019 lead will be completely outlawed in the state for hunting and public land shooting.

https://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/2017/03/23/when-and-where-is-nonlead-ammunition-required/
Question:
When we go out target shooting, are we required to shoot only nonlead ammo? (Anonymous)

Answer: No. You are not required to use nonlead ammunition when target shooting. Use of lead projectiles for target shooting is legal unless CDFW or another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer. California’s prohibition on the use of lead projectiles only applies while taking wildlife. For more information and details, please check our nonlead ammunition website.

This is from march 2017. Truduct, can you please refer me to the site where it states we are required non-lead ammo for public land shooting. This is the 1st I've head of this. I've tried looking up BLM target shooting and no info on lead-free ammo for target shooting.

ah here is a question I have not seen out there First a lot of vets come home and have "PTSD" under the new laws can a vet with "PTSD" still buy a firearm and ammo ???

To stay in the topic... I have a question.
The article I will share talks about firearms that are concealed and carried for personal protection. What if a handgun is being open carried?

What about target shooting or firearms for personal protection?
The regulations do not require use of nonlead ammunition when target shooting. Use of lead projectiles for target shooting is legal unless CDFW or another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer. The regulations do not prohibit the possession of concealable firearms containing lead ammunition, provided the firearm is possessed for personal protection and is not used to take or assist in the take of wildlife. With the exception of ammunition for concealable firearms possessed for personal protection, hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition.”

I think it is more the regs of the land you are on, open or concealed. BLM and NF let the DFG set the regs for their land. Private land You can carry lead, and target shoot lead, just cant shoot animals with it.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I wish the Feds would manage and regulate their own lands. 45% of California is Federal Land, they should take back control of it and create their own management regulations for it. One can dream.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Would be kickass if Trump... to piss-off NEwsuince, would take control of those Federal lands and open em up to hunting and allowing lead ammo... just to fuck with him! Would be soo epic to watch his libtard annuerism burst!

Would be kickass if Trump... to piss-off NEwsuince, would take control of those Federal lands and open em up to hunting and allowing lead ammo... just to fuck with him! Would be soo epic to watch his libtard annuerism burst!
The last thing we want is the federal Government involved in managing game. CA might have some bum laws but other states don’t and as sportsman we definitely don’t want the feds involved in game management.

Reactions: Cali Ridge Runner
I think something is about to happen with the BLM lands, he already started moving all the BLM jobs out of Washington and out west. The lands could either go back to the states (which they would all become like Anza-Borrego, off limits to everything) is what Newsome would do with it, or pull the states ability to manage it. With the current people in Sacramento I would take the feds over sacramento. Feds would be less regulation, Ca would be over regulation. IMO

The last thing we want is the federal Government involved in managing game. CA might have some bum laws but other states don’t and as sportsman we definitely don’t want the feds involved in game management.

Don't they already manage waterfowl and dove in California?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu