NM Archery Elk live blog!

This morning was almost perfect. Spotted 3 cows and a bull at first light. Moved to where i thought they would be snd nothing. I give a couple cow calls and the bull responded, but was on a hill off the property im hunting. I move away continuously calling and he comes all the way back down and hangs up about 40 yards too short. He hung out there for about 15 minutes, but wouldn't close. So cool to get one that close. Back at it this afternoon....

This morning met with landowner before dark and he was gonna head out with me to do some calling. Heard 2 bugles right away and syerted towards one. On the way we jumped a spike that went about 200 yards away. He responded to calls and worked his way back a little, so i put on. a stalk, but got busted in a opening. No more bugles after that, so sat on some water for a while. I caught movement to my right, but it was turkeys. Time for nap and back this pm.

View attachment awwshit.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestion, Get close to the bull by whatever means you can accomplish without his knowledge and have someone get way behind you and have them call the bull so that the bull will have to get past you to encounter the calling bull or cow that they want. The wind direction will be critical and decisive in that kind of scenario.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
It thunderstormed hard last night, so I was a little worried about this morning. Got there really early and hiked for about an hour to set up on the side the elk have been exiting in morning. Heard a bull, but again he was off the property by about 100 yards. These bulls are wearing me out! Back this pm

wister i squished your video down so its not so big :)

Good LUCK man get it done!

No bueno this afternoon, no elk seen or heard. I have tomorrow and then Tuesday morning to get it done.

Good luck and keep the faith that it will happen.
One year in Colorado after 6 tough days of hunting elk, I was thinking it was over. Walking back to camp to start packing up. As I was walking back I killed an elk 40 yards from the tent.
Don’t give up till you’re driving home.

Reactions: Wister Junkie
It was quiet this morning. Was sitting for a while and had 2 cows and 2 calves step out about 120 yards away. I just watched them as they walked away, didn't really care to go after a cow with a calf.

WOW, last night and this morning were 2 of the best hunting experiences I've ever had. Last night it was all quiet until 10 minutes before sundown. I let out a few bugles, and in minutes I was surrounded by 5 screaming bulls. Had 2 cows and a spike in shooting range, but held out for a bull. Only when it was too dark did i get within 40 yards a a shooter! I backed out slowly and headed out.
This morning I sneak in to same area and hear a couple good bugles to the south, but then quiet. I slow walk that direction and finally see 2 cows feeding about 50 yards away, i see there is about 20 cows together. I think about taking one since my time is almost up, but bull fever takes over and I wait. About 5 minutes later a nice 6x6 steps out and is running around the cows, Im downwind , but the group scurries away for some reason without me getting a shot at the bull. Closest I had him was 91 yards. Great experience, back this pm.

Epic!!!!!! It's on now get it done

On the way out this afternoon and there were big thunderstorms, luckily it was dry when I arrived. Only heard 1 bull way far away and enjoyed the scenery. Last morning tomorrow, crunch time!20190910_194226.jpg20190910_194226.jpg20190910_192750.jpg20190910_192750.jpg20190910_190402.jpg20190910_172443.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu