NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up 2019

Steve how long have you been involved with the turkey tune-up? I only ask because we are close to the same age and I attended two events in the mid 80's. One year was real memorable because the heavy spring rains had the road in kind of iffy, lots of mud and boulders. I ended up parking just off the road and walking into the event.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Enjoyed it tremendously today. Arrived late in order to bring my son after his sports practice. Now he is excited to get his hunting license and into the Turkey Tune Up youth draw next year.
I got lucky and was picked #25 today. @SurfNHuntSD as hunting partner and we selected Brown's Cove on April 6th.
Great talking to Robert (@SDLIVIN). Sorry I missed others. Will arrive earlier next time.

Last edited:
Enjoyed it tremendously today. Arrived late in order to bring my son after his sports practice. Now he is excited to get his hunting license and into the Turkey Tune Up youth draw next year.
I got lucky and was picked #25 today. @SurfNHuntSD as hunting partner and we selected Brown's Cove on April 6th.
Congratulations fellas. Go get them end of March. I am stuck on public lol.

Great talking to Robert (@SDLIVIN). Sorry I missed others. Will arrive earlier next time.

We hunted browns cove last year but did not see any turkeys. It was still a great hunt. If you need any tips let me know.

Needed to update this as i know how to get in there just not very good at finding turkeys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I attended the event.
Lots of good prices, the opportunity to win a hunt and even shooting your shotgun if you wanted to. Good fun.

I talked to the DFW guys for a minute about tags and such, and the clarify a couple of things for me.

I met up with a few fellows that drove all the way from Long beach. We were all hoping one of us would win..but no luck. I was very jealous of the guy who won the bow!

It was great getting to see some of you guys this morning. @ilovesprig you forgot to call my name again.
Great event Steve. We are lucky to have a guy like you on our side advocating for hunting and conservation.

Thanks Drew....It's a labor of love....In fact, thank you all for supporting this event....Had a lot of great volunteers this year (lots of SCH'ers)….Thank you all so much.

It was long, but satisfying day....349 paid folks were in the draw for the hunting spots....Close to 400 overall....I'd like to give a huge shout out to Willow Creek Archery for donating the bow, RDL Tactical for getting me a killer deal on the Mossberg 935 magnum, and Big Horn Ranch for the pig hunt....Turner's Outdoors supports us....Please support them....A special thanks to Adam Prouty (Gen Murofushi) and Flydown Custom Calls (Josh Kettl) for doing the call demonstrations....You boys can call (both SCH'ers)....Thank you VFW Ramona Post....Food and drink is always a welcome addition to the event....Thank you Maile & Matt from City lakes....You're a pleasure to work with and just being on our side (hunters)….Could not pull off this event without you.

Thank you to warden McCain and Rasse….Thought they did a great job answering questions....Biologist Jeff Wells from CNF manned his booth by himself....Very pro hunting and I know he wants the best for all of us.

Lastly, it was great meeting and seeing so many new hunters, old friends, and SCH'ers today....Lee (Longbowhunter1) wish you could've made it earlier....It was great meeting you, none the less.

Till next year....And good luck to all this turkey season.

Steve

Last edited:
Sorry I missed some of you. Sunrise hwy and 79 was closed to through traffic. Had to go around to the 67 through Ramona. Well got there to late.

Too bad I didn’t see you Lee!!
My son and I were helping at the shotgun range all morning. That was fun.
It was great to see how many kids were shooting their 20 ga for the first time!!
Overall it was a fantastic event.
I got to meet a few more SCHers there.
I cant wait until 3/30!!

Reactions: longbowhunter2

Good seeing you and your boy, Dan. Congrats and good luck to you and Jason on your hunt!

Great event, enjoyed it. Perfect weather.
Wife and I spent some time at the archery range.
Couple middle school kids (girl/boy) came by and practiced as well for a bit. Those kids were lethal with their arrow placements!

-Robert

I had no clue @The Deer Guy was making calls.

Josh, you should see a order come over this week. Would love to support your business. Hopefully a CO gobbler will get fooled this spring.

And Nick....His calls sound great....The kid knows turkey hunting and what it takes to get them in close....His mouth calls are easy to use too.

He can also make custom pot calls to your liking as far feathers in the inside, a special memento, or statement you would like as a gift.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu