NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up 2019

Great event! Forgot my license in my vest at home so I had to drive to the big 5 in Ramona and met some NWTF guys in line buying copies. Good meeting Peter who got lucky on the raffle (congrats!). Regret not meeting more of you guys out there but thanks to all the Volunteers. I thought SD county was all dry and dusty. Really beautiful drive down especially when it's all green right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great event! Forgot my license in my vest at home so I had to drive to the big 5 in Ramona and met some NWTF guys in line buying copies. Good meeting Peter who got lucky on the raffle (congrats!). Regret not meeting more of you guys out there but thanks to all the Volunteers. I thought SD county was all dry and dusty. Really beautiful drive down especially when it's all green right now.
HOW MANY YARDS ON THAT SHOT???

I tried to pick up some hevi shot, at gun stores all cleaned out have to go to Walmart see they have some.
Mag1 let's see some pics of your shot pattern.
I like to see more from sch gunners

Reactions: MAG 1
I tried to pick up some hevi shot, at gun stores all cleaned out have to go to Walmart see they have some.
Mag1 let's see some pics of your shot pattern.
I like to see more from sch gunners
believe me I wanted to , but the shot just didn't seem like it was any good. I never worried about pattern till I started TURKEY hunting. Upland game I do just fine. This TURKEY thing is a whole different ball game.:confused:

Reactions: longbowhunter2
looks like 10yds hahaha. this was actually 2 shots at 25yrds. First shot was low into the body and second (aiming at the head covered most of the neck. 12ga steel #7. Learning lots about hunting still lots more to learn.

OK....So, they were basically dove loads....With steel 7's, your killing range isn't a whole lot further than that....That's the kind of pattern you want with one TSS turkey load at 40 yds.

These shots were with 3" Hevi-13's 6's at 50 yds....Pretty dead turkey....Benelli M-2 with a Primos Jellyhead choke tube.

ps....Going up tomorrow to try some new TSS loads....Results to follow.

@issue_1 what gun/choke/load out of curiosity? Sorry you had to run to Big 5.. we had quite a few guys at the gate that also didn't have licenses.. heard it made a bit of a powwow at Big 5 lol.
Benelli Nova / improved Cylinder / Winchester 1200 v 7 shot 1 1/8 oz.
Recently found out that that any tighter with steel is bad for your barrel/choke at least according to Benelliusa.com

OK....So, they were basically dove loads....With steel 7's, your killing range isn't a whole lot further than that....That's the kind of pattern you want with one TSS turkey load at 40 yds.

These shots were with 3" Hevi-13's 6's at 50 yds....Pretty dead turkey....Benelli M-2 with a Primos Jellyhead choke tube.

ps....Going up tomorrow to try some new TSS loads....Results to follow.

.View attachment 38398View attachment 38399View attachment 38400View attachment 38401
I can see the huge difference there. I will research some turkey chokes and load combos. Thanks again for the good info!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu