Question for Kuiu users

Kellendv

Dec 26, 2013
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on…. life gets in the way.

Anyway, I'm looking for a light weight shirt for hunting that I won't shred to pieces. Personally I love hunting when it's in the 40's or 50's, but those days seem to be more and more rare. I hunt the backcountry with a pack and a lot of the places I go require some bushwhacking, climbing etc to get to. I tend to get pretty hot, which I know is somewhat unavoidable. I don't mind spending money on good gear that works. I don't want to buy an expensive shirt that I shred in one season.

So, I was looking at the Tiburon zip T and the Teton long sleeve. I would like to hear from those of you that own those pieces how they hold up to San Diego backcountry (scrub oak, manzanita, endless sage etc etc). The Tiburon looks like its a lighter weight material designed for hot days and the fact that it has a zip chest is great.

Suggestions for other products are welcome also! Thanks for your time.

Kellen

I have the Teton short sleeve and have worn it all season. It's not perfect but I like it. I have the tiburon pants and they didn't hold up as well as I was hoping, maybe a different story for their tiburon shirts.. I'd just get em both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Tiberon pants and shirt. They snag pretty easily. I have the Teton pants, they are not as cool as the Tiberon but they are tough and hold up well. I also have the Peloton 130 short sleeve shirt and very happy with it.

TaftHunter said:
I have the Teton short sleeve and have worn it all season. It's not perfect but I like it. I have the tiburon pants and they didn't hold up as well as I was hoping, maybe a different story for their tiburon shirts.. I'd just get em both

Thanks for your honesty. Pants definitely take more of a beating than shirts, but that is good intel. You say the teton shirt is not perfect…. what do you not like about it? Is it to heavy (warm)?

Lungpopper said:
I have the Tiberon pants and shirt. They snag pretty easily. I have the Teton pants, they are not as cool as the Tiberon but they are tough and hold up well. I also have the Peloton 130 short sleeve shirt and very happy with it.

Again, thanks for your honesty. Do you wear the peloton as a standalone when you're hiking or only as a base layer?

I am a big Kuiu fan and have a lot of their gear. What most folks don't understand is that Jason Hairston has designed an intricate system. While a single article of Kuiu gear or clothing works well, if used as a system the Kuiu program is spectacular. If I were to say anything negative it would be that the Tiburon gear is fragile, but in warm weather there may be nothing better. Next on my list is the attack pants. Probably their best seller. It is in between the Tiburon and the Chinook.

I have the following gear and couldn't be happier. The zip-off merino wool bottoms are the shiznit yo! I think overall their Merino wool is top notch and the best I have ever worn.

Chinook Jacket
Chinook Pants
Guide Pants
Guide Vest
Super Down Jacket
Guide Gloves
Ultra Merino Guide 145 Beanie
Ultra Merino 145 Neck Gator
ULTRA Tiburon Zip-T
ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-T
ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-Off Bottom
ICON Pro 1850 Pack system
KUIU Bino Harness
KUIU Pack Gun Holder

Kellendv said:
TaftHunter said:

Thanks for your honesty. Pants definitely take more of a beating than shirts, but that is good intel. You say the teton shirt is not perfect…. what do you not like about it? Is it to heavy (warm)?

It is a little on the heavy side for the early season, but still better then most other brands I have worn.. Just make sure to order a size larger then what you normally wear. I ordered a large and it was like a medium, then I ordered an XL and it was like a large..

Kellendv said:
Lungpopper said:

Again, thanks for your honesty. Do you wear the peloton as a standalone when you're hiking or only as a base layer?

As a standalone.

For warm weather hunts, I wear the ultra 125 merino shirt as a stand alone. I also wore the tiburon zip tee for sun protection. I agree that the tiburon pants are not as durable as others, but when it is 85+ out, you will love the air flow!
Since upper body normally does not take the same beating as lower body, I would not hesitate recommending the tiburon zip tee.

From the Stika side of the house.....
I've been using the Sitka timberline pants with the best results the waterproof reinforced knees, butt & inside ankles is priceless cutting thru the brush. They are thicker material and are a little warmer but not bad. I'd also recomend the turtleskin gators for protection from the brush & rattlers........As for shirts I find less snags with their core lightweight crew then if it gets cold I put on the zip-T line

I haven't tried the Kuiu stuff.......drank the Sitka cool aid a long time ago

I usually buy the cheapest gear that will meet my requirements. The number 1 killer of my gear is barbed wire. The number 2 killer is age/use/washing. Therefore, if a $4 synthetic long-sleeved camo shirt from WalMart meets my needs, I buy 4 of them. If I find camo BDUs online for under $20/pair, I buy 2-3 pair, and they last me more than 5 years, typically. I can rip a $20 pair of pants just as easily as a $95 pair of pants, or a $100 set of rain gear as easily as a $300 set. So for me, it doesn't make sense to spend top dollar on what I consider consumables. The key for me is, does it meet my needs?

My Sitka gear bought in 2005 is still going strong.......fit, function & durability are the reasons too buy the good stuff once you try it it's hard to go with anything else......and both have a great warranty

MJB said:
fit, function & durability are the reasons too buy the good stuff

This is my perspective as well. I don't seek out the item with the highest price tag, I seek out the one that will perform the task I need it to to my standards. All hunting gear is consumable, but I do have a standard in that I expect it to last a few seasons at least. Over years of hunting, fishing, climbing, backpacking, etc etc I have found that the difference between a "high end" piece of gear and a budget one is the quality of construction and materials. In my experience budget gear often suffers catastrophic failure unexpectedly, vs gradual and expected wear over the life of the product that you may or may not be able to repair depending on what it is.

Reminds me of the time my buddie's P.O.S. hiking shoes had both soles delaminate several miles from the trailhead on a volcano in Nicaragua. Bad times. Thank god for duct tape.

First year with kuiu. Prior to this I did the jeans and flannels but would have to change out on long hikes because they would get soaked. Kuiu solved that problem for me. Durability is fair. Especially my tiburon set. I instantly knew I could shred the fuck out of them if I tried. So I bought a pair of garden pruners and clip my way through the nasty stuff (much more efficient than a machete). Mainly I will go the path of least resistance just like the deer I'm after. Hunting elk in New Mexico in September with the tiburon system was great until cargo pocket lower seem just decided to blow out when it was only carrying a phone in it for 10 days. The gaiters have saved a lot of damage to my lower half of my legs/pants aswell. Pretty satisfied with their products overall but they can indeed improve in my opinion. I have the merino tops, chinook set, super down vest, ultra 6000 pack, icon pro 1850, load sling, bow carrier, Bino harness, gloves, bow cover and a Tiburon hat. The gear makes sense in my head. But I have holes, wear marks, blood on most of these items. It would have been much cheaper for me to go with Sitka but I opted for the kuiu theory.

Sorry if I took this off topic.

tired of stripping down boots off to shed the thermals, Kuiu has the ULTRA Merino 210 Zip-Off Bottoms, 4 days 30% off, mine are on the way!

MJB said:
My Sitka gear bought in 2005 is still going strong.......fit, function & durability are the reasons too buy the good stuff once you try it it's hard to go with anything else......and both have a great warranty

Lots of truth to MJB'S post. I used to be like El Matavenados. Once you try it you're hooked. Bought 5 more pieces today.

Lungpopper said:
MJB said:

Lots of truth to MJB'S post. I used to be like El Matavenados. Once you try it you're hooked. Bought 5 more pieces today.

What did you get today?

Lungpopper said:
MJB said:

I got 11 I have a problem I think

TaftHunter said:
Lungpopper said:
MJB said:

I got 11 I have a problem I think

You're not married so you don't have to worry. You can get away with it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu