Rabbit season starts Wednesday

Do you have to touch the liver to get it or is it contact with any internal? I did the gut squeeze method last year and was able to see the liver before touching anything. Helps to cool the meat off too... Much harder to do with Jack Rabbits, but pretty cool to do with cottons if you've never done it and aren't squeamish.

MJB said:
Steve, did you get checked after drinking from that cattle drinker?

Mark,

If your talking about the one in Montana.....No..... Figured it was good coming out of a pipe, high on the mountain......I know within a day, I had serious runs...... :eek:

I guess I should probably carry water with me too........ ;)

Plan on getting out in a couple weeks for rabbit. Found 1500 rounds of 22lr and just picked up a new 10/22 that needs breaking in. :)

ilovesprig said:
Maybe I will wear gloves............. :-\

Good read by Steve Rinella........http://www.outsideonline.com/1994346/little-things-kill-you
Oh dang! That's quite an impressive resume of infections. I always thought Lyme was pretty scary since I've heard some of the effects can become chronic or irreversible. And I'm surprised he didn't catch anything from that episode he ate the yote.

SD Mike said:
Plan on getting out in a couple weeks for rabbit. Found 1500 rounds of 22lr and just picked up a new 10/22 that needs breaking in. :)

Man Mike......You're having a good week............ ;D

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 29
8SteelTown said:
Do you have to touch the liver to get it or is it contact with any internal? I did the gut squeeze method last year and was able to see the liver before touching anything.
Steel, you do not have to touch the liver to contract the disease. This CDC link gives a great overview on a single page:
http://www.cdc.gov/Tularemia/

Do we need non toxic .22 rounds for rabbits this year? I'm having a hard time finding any.

Baldkrash said:
Do we need non toxic .22 rounds for rabbits this year? I'm having a hard time finding any.
Only on CDFW properties for now. From CDFW website:
"Beginning on July 1, 2015, certified nonlead rimfire ammunition will be required to take any wildlife species (game and nongame) on CDFW properties. The statewide requirement for use of nonlead rimfire when taking wildlife will go into effect on July 1, 2019."

SoCal Hunter said:
Hope I can within the next few weeks. Need to find a place to hunt. The wildlife area 5 minutes from my house is closed from February to the end of August. :'(

You in Riverside County? Sounds like a spot I know by where they fly hot air balloons.

Where at in so cal do you guys like to hunt at ? Just moved here from missouri

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:
Hope I can within the next few weeks. Need to find a place to hunt. The wildlife area 5 minutes from my house is closed from February to the end of August. :'(

You in Riverside County? Sounds like a spot I know by where they fly hot air balloons.
SurfNHuntSD said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

I think he's talking about another one in SDC...
I'm talking about French Valley Wildlife Area. it is east of Temecula

SoCal Hunter said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

SurfNHuntSD said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

Yeah thought might be. Glad you read the papers at the check in station. Went through there the other day and came up to some guys hunting coyote. I haven't seen a bunch of cottons around us. Lots of jacks though.

8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

SurfNHuntSD said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

Yeah thought might be. Glad you read the papers at the check in station. Went through there the other day and came up to some guys hunting coyote. I haven't seen a bunch of cottons around us. Lots of jacks though.
Are you from Temecula also?

SoCal Hunter said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

SurfNHuntSD said:
8SteelTown said:
SoCal Hunter said:

Are you from Temecula also?

Menifee / Elsinore

MJB said:
Well where's the dead bunnies????

Here's a little action from this morning................ ;)

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    767.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    706.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    627.1 KB · Views: 33

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu