Recovered Barnes TTSX Today!!!!!!!

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
My relationship with these bullets are a kind of love hate relationship for reasons I am ashamed of...... With that said today after my shoot out on BLM i was cleaning up my targets and trash and i happened to realize a bullet on the ground.... NO WAY its my barnes bullets I'm trying to shoot up....... I have to say that after seeing the way they opened i am thinking about giving them another try this season......... ::) :-\

These are three bullets recovered from eight i shot today
I shoot a weatherby in 6.5 Creedmoor more pics available upon request.

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
To attach images just click on "additional options" then choose file.

Aeon said:
To attach images just click on "additional options" then choose file.

Sweet thanks I was having a little trouble with size of attachments...... but got it all sorted out now i believe

I love ttsx barnes. They shoot well for me and after a few recoveries from game I was sold. Plus the blue tips are super cool looking

GSPman said:
I love ttsx barnes. They shoot well for me and after a few recoveries from game I was sold. Plus the blue tips are super cool looking

I might be wrong but i just feel that the blacktail deer are just to light and to thin for these bullets...... i think these would be amazing on hogs and larger bodied deer and other game.....

GSPman how were your blood trails and what game have you taken with the ttsx?

Awesome bullets. Accurate and predictable. It has been my go to bullet for 26 years. All bullets fail, the "X" bullet fails the least...

The bullets below were all dug out of dead animals.

Attachments

• 6barnes6.5.jpg
    6barnes6.5.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 5barnes6.5.jpg
    5barnes6.5.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 4barnes6.5.jpg
    4barnes6.5.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 3barnes.30.jpg
    3barnes.30.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2barnes.30.jpg
    2barnes.30.jpg
    879.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1barnes.30.jpg
    1barnes.30.jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 55
When you say that black tail deer are too light and too thin for these bullets do you mean that .243 would be better (smaller caliber) or that .270 would be better (larger diameter)?
I'm jus preping for next season and this caught me as being very interesting.

DanSanDiego said:
When you say that black tail deer are too light and too thin for these bullets do you mean that .243 would be better (smaller caliber) or that .270 would be better (larger diameter)?
I'm jus preping for next season and this caught me as being very interesting.

I am by no means an expert and don't have much experience but from the research i have done it seems that game that is heavier or has a thicker hide will apply more force to the bullet wen the bullet hits the game initiating bullet expansion. The faster the bullet is moving the more force it experiences when it comes in contact with its intended target. Also i have found that its pretty important to match game weight and density (for say) to bullet weight and velocity. Here is a link with some really good information on all calibers many bullets, velocities, game weight to bullet comparisons and even pics and explanations of most bullets on game check it out!!!!!

http://www.ballisticstudies.com

let me know what you honk, find your caliber look for bullet and read... good way to pass time in class or at work i assume lol :)

I guess we all have our ideas of what works or doesn't work as far as bullets and caliber are concerned. So I have to go by my experience with the 338 win mag and the Barnes TTSX bullet. I've used it for just about all of my rifle hunting for the last 7 years.
So far this set up has put down 4- javelina, 1- pronghorn antelope, 2- white-tailed deer, 4- local bucks, 5- elk. Most people would say this is a great combination for the elk. I can tell you as the animals get smaller they went down even faster. So from experience the Barnes TTSX works like its supposed to and yes it works on thin skinned game..

Lungpopper said:
I guess we all have our ideas of what works or doesn't work as far as bullets and caliber are concerned. So I have to go by my experience with the 338 win mag and the Barnes TTSX bullet. I've used it for just about all of my rifle hunting for the last 7 years.
So far this set up has put down 4- javelina, 1- pronghorn antelope, 2- white-tailed deer, 4- local bucks, 5- elk. Most people would say this is a great combination for the elk. I can tell you as the animals get smaller they went down even faster. So from experience the Barnes TTSX works like its supposed to and yes it works on thin skinned game..

I agree 100%. I have shot antelope up through elk and the "X" works spectacular.

And I'm on the other side of the fence.........I have seen more animals lost with copper than any other bullet. Been shooting it since 2006 when Tejon mandate copper only

Copper was designed for African big game to hit bone and keep going. I like a bullet to stay in the animal and breakup hence the lead picture below.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
I was told by barnes when I first started reloading copper bullets that due to weight retention you can use a step down in bullet weight or even caliber from what you would use in lead. From what I have seen this holds true. If you use a smaller bullet it will not pass through the animal but open up and stay in. If love to see some ballistic gel tests on this. I do know that I use to use 55g lead on bobcats but when I switched to barnes I can use a faster 36g copper and it makes a smaller whole and stops the animal in it tracks with no exit. A 55g copper will pass through.

MJB said:
Copper was designed for African big game to hit bone and keep going.

Monolithic solids were designed for heavy African game. The Barnes "X" was designed to be used in North America and marketed in North American as a do all bullet. And it works well in Africa too - on plains game.

The Barnes "TTSX" opens up more violently than most lead core bullets and yes it does penetrate better for sure. Longer wound channel generally means more distruction.

One thing is for sure, it doesn't matter what bullet is used. You still need to make a good shot.

Below is a picture of the latest Barnes manual. Looks like the target market is a deer...

Just saying -

Attachments

• BM.jpg
    BM.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 41
I really like the idea behind Barnes bullets and the rotation speed with those gnarly pedals besides from the looks of it all CA might be lead free by 2019 so I know I'm going to have to turn to these eventually....... I hope the new manual has some 6.5 creedmoor loads as my main concern !!!!!!

Do you Barnes users take shoulder shots on your game or aim at the pump house (break the bones and Pop lungs or shoot for the vitals)?

Im going to give these bullets a try for sure they look fricken devastating. I've seen pictures of their expansion in adds for em but never from a real life shooting situation. Does anyone know the cost for a box of .243 100 grain bullets?

I am loading some ttsx tonight in 168 grain 30-06. I need it for a hog hunt next month. I am probably going to switch to it full time in my 30-06. Figure I might as well get use to it with the lead ban just down the road.

Last week I just bought my first ammo for the new Savage Axis 243. I went with the Federal Fusion 95 grain. Seeing this thread I would have instead purchased the Barnes. But with plenty of time between now and next November (deer season) I've got time to try out the Barnes after the Fusions.

DanSanDiego said:
Last week I just bought my first ammo for the new Savage Axis 243. I went with the Federal Fusion 95 grain. Seeing this thread I would have instead purchased the Barnes. But with plenty of time between now and next November (deer season) I've got time to try out the Barnes after the Fusions.

BTW my budy has taken four D16 bucks with his 243, and one D12 bucks I recall they all went down within sight.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu