Retriever Training

GDCruz

Mar 2, 2013
Hi guys im looking for somebody or someplace i can take my lab to for training.I intend to use him for waterfowl at the end of the year if all goes well. I live in Chino Hills about 5 minutes from prado park and have been looking online but cant find much. I dont want to board my dog or anything like that i want someone who can teach me to train my dog i guess. Any advice would be helpful thanks!

http://www.gundogsupply.com/fowl-dogs-1-dvd.html

I can not say enough good things about this training video. If you follow this dvd and do not skip steps you will have a dog that listens and follows basic OB. You can do this your self with out much fuss. It just takes time every day to work your dog and not 2 hours a day either. 15 min a day can work wonders.

I have taken my dogs a few times over the years to prado to work them. Its a good place to work a dog.

how old is your pup?

thanks ill look into the video! And hes not much of a pup anymore hes 3 haha. But he understands basic commands and is really good about watching me when we go to prado to point him in the direction of hidden toys in the water.

3 years is ok but you have to start over...

It's going to sound stupid but start over at square one just like he was a puppy. Don't skip steps, It's for both of you. Part of following the program is you learn how to teach your pup how do things with each step building off of each other.

If you can train him yourself, I say go for it. I only wish I lived within 5 minutes of Prado. If you choose this route, then I recommend the following:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/retriever-training-basics-dvd-with-danny-farmer-and-judy-aycock.html

It's well produced, and the best $40 I ever spent on a training video.

If you decide to put him with a pro, the dog will likely board with the trainer. However, the trainers I know welcome their customers to come train with them.

Steve Stephens trains at Prado regularly, as does Bill Quinn, and at least one other pro (don't remember his name).

Also, check out the Inland Valley Retriever Club's website, and consider membership. They have a training day at Prado every month, and the aforementioned pros are members.

Good luck with your dog!

Ok i don't mind starting over my dog luckily isn't hard headed and listens to me. Plus i think you're right I need to learn how to train my dog from scratch. Especially since if i succeed in this my girlfriend is going to get a dog over the summer and wants to train it for water fowl i think.

Matavenados
Thanks for the advice on the video I'll look into that one also! And ya i have lived in Chino hills for about 10 years and barely found out about prado dog park and the archery range about 2 months ago!!! But as far as boarding goes id rather not. But im actually going to sign up for the inland valley retrievers club after i work with my dog for a while so i don't make a fool of myself haha.

Three years is old to start training a gun dog, we have had quite a bit experience with this as we see many folks that cant let go or don't have time to start them when they are young (six months is when you should start) The first thing I would do is put a wing clip live bird in front of your dog and see what kind of a reaction you get if they dog has only a short interest in the bird and wanders off to see what else is around call him a pet and find another dog, Prey drive is what makes a good hunting dog not just training I'll say it again prey drive is what makes a good hunting dog not just training. We have a two year old silver lab that we are working on right now that the owner brought to us for evaluation and its looking like we can get him through it as he has a strong desire to chase birds. We'd be glad to meet with you and give a evaluation free of charge. If the dog has potential we can work with you on lessons that you can take home and do with your dog.

My buddy just got a female black lab pup. She's about 3 months old. He's already in the process of obedience training. He was looking into advanced training. I informed him on the 2 DVD's from this post. In the event he wants to send the dog to a trainer, can you give me recommendations. What's the going rate (if anyone can speak to specifics)? When I did some research online, it seemed like some of these clubs were a DIY once a month setup instead of a room and board training.

You can have your dog trained by a pro. $600 to $800/month is the norm. They will board your dog. It is the only way for them to train effectively. Realize the trainer will have to build a strong bond with the dog.

I can't give recommendations on anyone local, but I do know there are a lot of local trainers who are great.

My dog has been in Georgia for 4 months and comes home tomorrow. This was his first time away. He had most of his obedience and basic retrieving skills down when I sent him. He turned 1 in Feb.

A lot of guys that train with the club still send their dogs to a pro at some stage in the dogs life. Not all, but a lot do.

Think of your dog as an athlete. Training with a pro is boot camp. It is your job after to keep up with their regimen.

The clubs may meet once a month, but that is just when we all get together. Everyone still trains on their own regularly. Small training groups form with dogs in certain stages as well.

Inland Valley Retriever Club is a great club for beginners. I know, I'm a beginner, and train with them. If you live near prado there is also no reason you couldn't train your dog yourself with the help of DVDs and people that train there regularly. Great facility close to home, but training takes help so expect to make some friends.

nicapopolis said:
You can have your dog trained by a pro. $600 to $800/month is the norm. They will board your dog. It is the only way for them to train effectively. Realize the trainer will have to build a strong bond with the dog.

I can't give recommendations on anyone local, but I do know there are a lot of local trainers who are great.

My dog has been in Georgia for 4 months and comes home tomorrow. This was his first time away. He had most of his obedience and basic retrieving skills down when I sent him. He turned 1 in Feb.

A lot of guys that train with the club still send their dogs to a pro at some stage in the dogs life. Not all, but a lot do.

Think of your dog as an athlete. Training with a pro is boot camp. It is your job after to keep up with their regimen.

The clubs may meet once a month, but that is just when we all get together. Everyone still trains on their own regularly. Small training groups form with dogs in certain stages as well.

Inland Valley Retriever Club is a great club for beginners. I know, I'm a beginner, and train with them. If you live near prado there is also no reason you couldn't train your dog yourself with the help of DVDs and people that train there regularly. Great facility close to home, but training takes help so expect to make some friends.

Thanks Nicapopolis. I'll relay the information.

Wow! I bought a Humphrey's Llew. At 12 weeks he was pointing pigeons. A month later I was shooting them and he would point and pick 'em up. No $600 to $800 a month to anyone.

Now at 3 years old he finds 'em. Cuts off running pheasants and if he is being onry, gets on them in such a way that I can't shoot 'em but have to whack them when they fly directly at me. No gunshot necessary.

Glad I don't have one of those fancy dogs. Can't afford those.

TonyS said:
Wow! I bought a Humphrey's Llew. At 12 weeks he was pointing pigeons. A month later I was shooting them and he would point and pick 'em up. No $600 to $800 a month to anyone.

Now at 3 years old he finds 'em. Cuts off running pheasants and if he is being onry, gets on them in such a way that I can't shoot 'em but have to whack them when they fly directly at me. No gunshot necessary.

Sounds like you have an awesome dog Tony! Never even heard of a Humphrey's Llew. Hope his dog turns out to be a "natural" as well! I'm tired of jumping in lakes, ponds, and streams to retrieve my own shots!! Not kidding

What's a Humphrey's Llewellyn?

TonyS said:

Tony... that is not uncommon to have a dog that is great "out of the box", but I assume he didn't get there without your help.

My guess is the best part is he hunting how you like to hunt! Which is awesome!

I 100% had the plans to train my dog on my own. Then life happens. We welcomed our first child into the world this January. The decision to send him away was an easy one for me. I knew the dog wasn't going to get the time from me that he needed with a new human around.

My son just turned 3 months and my dog had 4 months of solid training. The budget and timing worked this time around. It may not at a different stage in my life.

$2400 was well worth it for me. I want my dog to hunt well for 10+ years. Spread that out over time... you get the point.

I don't get that 10 year reason.....every year you need to refresh your dog or just hunt.....after a few days they remember.

Now for field trials that's another can of worms.......my buddy would train so much when it came time for the event the dog was board and didn't do so well. Then the next time he did moderate training and the dog did great.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu