Retriever Training

MJB said:
I don't get that 10 year reason.....every year you need to refresh your dog or just hunt.....after a few days they remember.

Now for field trials that's another can of worms.......my buddy would train so much when it came time for the event the dog was board and didn't do so well. Then the next time he did moderate training and the dog did great.
The 10 year comment was just a way for some people to look at training as an investment to the future of the dog.

I will have a spring and summer full of training with me. Hunting during the season and the same routine after the season.

8SteelTown said:
TonyS said:
Wow! I bought a Humphrey's Llew. At 12 weeks he was pointing pigeons. A month later I was shooting them and he would point and pick 'em up. No $600 to $800 a month to anyone.

Now at 3 years old he finds 'em. Cuts off running pheasants and if he is being onry, gets on them in such a way that I can't shoot 'em but have to whack them when they fly directly at me. No gunshot necessary.

Glad I don't have one of those fancy dogs. Can't afford those.

Sounds like you have an awesome dog Tony! Never even heard of a Humphrey's Llew. Hope his dog turns out to be a "natural" as well! I'm tired of jumping in lakes, ponds, and streams to retrieve my own shots!! Not kidding

Unless you hunt with me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.7 KB · Views: 32
nicapopolis said:
You can have your dog trained by a pro. $600 to $800/month is the norm. They will board your dog. It is the only way for them to train effectively. Realize the trainer will have to build a strong bond with the dog.

I can't give recommendations on anyone local, but I do know there are a lot of local trainers who are great.

My dog has been in Georgia for 4 months and comes home tomorrow. This was his first time away. He had most of his obedience and basic retrieving skills down when I sent him. He turned 1 in Feb.

A lot of guys that train with the club still send their dogs to a pro at some stage in the dogs life. Not all, but a lot do.

Think of your dog as an athlete. Training with a pro is boot camp. It is your job after to keep up with their regimen.

The clubs may meet once a month, but that is just when we all get together. Everyone still trains on their own regularly. Small training groups form with dogs in certain stages as well.

Inland Valley Retriever Club is a great club for beginners. I know, I'm a beginner, and train with them. If you live near prado there is also no reason you couldn't train your dog yourself with the help of DVDs and people that train there regularly. Great facility close to home, but training takes help so expect to make some friends.

I'd like to work my dog with other guys with dogs but sometimes I feel like I'd get judged, my dogs a mut that hunts. She good, I just don't want to look like a jack A$& , since she was trained by me and I'm no trainer.

stikbrandon said:
nicapopolis said:
You can have your dog trained by a pro. $600 to $800/month is the norm. They will board your dog. It is the only way for them to train effectively. Realize the trainer will have to build a strong bond with the dog.

I can't give recommendations on anyone local, but I do know there are a lot of local trainers who are great.

My dog has been in Georgia for 4 months and comes home tomorrow. This was his first time away. He had most of his obedience and basic retrieving skills down when I sent him. He turned 1 in Feb.

A lot of guys that train with the club still send their dogs to a pro at some stage in the dogs life. Not all, but a lot do.

Think of your dog as an athlete. Training with a pro is boot camp. It is your job after to keep up with their regimen.

The clubs may meet once a month, but that is just when we all get together. Everyone still trains on their own regularly. Small training groups form with dogs in certain stages as well.

Inland Valley Retriever Club is a great club for beginners. I know, I'm a beginner, and train with them. If you live near prado there is also no reason you couldn't train your dog yourself with the help of DVDs and people that train there regularly. Great facility close to home, but training takes help so expect to make some friends.

I'd like to work my dog with other guys with dogs but sometimes I feel like I'd get judged, my dogs a mut that hunts. She good, I just don't want to look like a jack A$& , since she was trained by me and I'm no trainer.
Guys that would judge you for the dog you have are probably guys you don't want to train with anyways.

Like what was said before don't worry about what other people say.......hell mine are terriers they all think it's a lap dog until they see them hunt then it's what kinda dog?

When I was growing up I had a pure breed Doberman that was a quail hunting machine she loved runners and would bring them back alive.

Brandon are you the one with the bull mastif mix?

X3. Your dog hunts. Period. I think it's awesome what you and she can do together.

Bonejour said:
X3. Your dog hunts. Period. I think it's awesome what you and she can do together.

I've seen first hand the hunting instincts Cali has. I've seen her point, retrieve, and flush like your normal trained hunting dogs. Seems like she's doing it for fun! Really cool to see.

MJB said:
Like what was said before don't worry about what other people say.......hell mine are terriers they all think it's a lap dog until they see them hunt then it's what kinda dog?

When I was growing up I had a pure breed Doberman that was a quail hunting machine she loved runners and would bring them back alive.

Brandon are you the one with the bull mastif mix?

No, she's a lab mix. I think she's lab pointer, Iv heard from other guys that she's lab/vizsla to lab/pitbull, I need to get her tested.

Either way she's great. I'd love to run here with other well trained dogs both for her sake and mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
nicapopolis said:
ilovesprig said:
Brandon,

It's not in the looks.......It's what's in the heart........ ;)
I agree Steve. Other times they are just plain "pretty"...

8f0daab60dcc552564bdf130913dc833.jpg

Nick,

He is a pretty boy!..........Can't wait to see him in action.......... ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu