Rifle

Multichris4000 said:
Nicholas909 said:
Hey topher I own a couple different savages and a few Ruger Americans. The Rugers are tack driver's from my experience. For the price you can't bet them. The Rugers also have a beefier bolt. If you look at your local gun shops you can find them cheaper than bass pro. I haven't spent more than $300.00 on mine. Just wondering why do you want a 30-06?

ok thanks. Because you can put different weight bullets in just one gun when you have a 30-06.
Man, that's the truth. Versatile and hard-hitting rifle

Ruger american is nice and so is marlin xl-7. Redfield glass and you're in.

I recently bought a Ruger American in .308 from John at Fine Firearms for just under $400. It's a really sweet rifle for the money and it shoots sub-MOA right out of the box. Trigger is better than good. Great value. It comes in 30-06 also if that's what you want. I don't think you can do better in the $400 range. Barnes factory ammo shoots 1" groups. My handloads are printing just over 1/2" at 100 yards.

I would go with the Tika 7mm Mag with a 3x9 leupold scope just ask my good friends at Fine Firearms.

Multichris4000 said:
Nicholas909 said:
Just wondering why do you want a 30-06?

ok thanks. Because you can put different weight bullets in just one gun when you have a 30-06.

This is the exact reasoning I used when I bought my first rifle- a Ruger M77 MkII in 30-06. I wanted one rifle that would "do it all". And it's true, you can load anything from 100 grains up to 220. One thing to remember, though, is that there is a substantial amount of recoil, so if you're sensitive to such things (as I am!), then you need to choose a cartridge/rifle combination that will be easier on you. The Ruger American is light, so if I were to purchase one, I would carefully consider what I intended to hunt with it. If deer-sized game is what you're after, consider the .243. If you are going after Moose with a 30-06 and a 220 grain bullet, be prepared to be whalloped by a light rifle. If you're immune to recoil and the flinching it can produce, then the American is a nice rifle for the price. If you get the American in .308, the recoil will be less, but put a 180 grain slug in it, and it will still kick you pretty good. My brother owns a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308, which is also very light. He put a LimbSaver pad on it, which brings it back down to manageable recoil. I still flinch if I don't focus hard on my form, though.

I'm no longer a fan of picking one rifle to do it all. I now like to think hard about what I want to do with the rifle, and pick a gun that will do it well. Because let's face it: shooting rabbits with a .30-06, while fun, is expensive and a waste of game. ;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu