Rifle

Multichris4000 said:
Nicholas909 said:
Hey topher I own a couple different savages and a few Ruger Americans. The Rugers are tack driver's from my experience. For the price you can't bet them. The Rugers also have a beefier bolt. If you look at your local gun shops you can find them cheaper than bass pro. I haven't spent more than $300.00 on mine. Just wondering why do you want a 30-06?

ok thanks. Because you can put different weight bullets in just one gun when you have a 30-06.
Man, that's the truth. Versatile and hard-hitting rifle

I recently bought a Ruger American in .308 from John at Fine Firearms for just under $400. It's a really sweet rifle for the money and it shoots sub-MOA right out of the box. Trigger is better than good. Great value. It comes in 30-06 also if that's what you want. I don't think you can do better in the $400 range. Barnes factory ammo shoots 1" groups. My handloads are printing just over 1/2" at 100 yards.

I would go with the Tika 7mm Mag with a 3x9 leupold scope just ask my good friends at Fine Firearms.

Multichris4000 said:
Nicholas909 said:
Just wondering why do you want a 30-06?

ok thanks. Because you can put different weight bullets in just one gun when you have a 30-06.

This is the exact reasoning I used when I bought my first rifle- a Ruger M77 MkII in 30-06. I wanted one rifle that would "do it all". And it's true, you can load anything from 100 grains up to 220. One thing to remember, though, is that there is a substantial amount of recoil, so if you're sensitive to such things (as I am!), then you need to choose a cartridge/rifle combination that will be easier on you. The Ruger American is light, so if I were to purchase one, I would carefully consider what I intended to hunt with it. If deer-sized game is what you're after, consider the .243. If you are going after Moose with a 30-06 and a 220 grain bullet, be prepared to be whalloped by a light rifle. If you're immune to recoil and the flinching it can produce, then the American is a nice rifle for the price. If you get the American in .308, the recoil will be less, but put a 180 grain slug in it, and it will still kick you pretty good. My brother owns a Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308, which is also very light. He put a LimbSaver pad on it, which brings it back down to manageable recoil. I still flinch if I don't focus hard on my form, though.

I'm no longer a fan of picking one rifle to do it all. I now like to think hard about what I want to do with the rifle, and pick a gun that will do it well. Because let's face it: shooting rabbits with a .30-06, while fun, is expensive and a waste of game. ;D

Back