Season opener!!

G

Goyaałé

Good luck to everyone. I hope you all fill your tags. I have put in a lot of work this year. I feel like harvest or no harvest the season is already a successful one. I have hiked miles and miles. Trained hard. Shot thousands of arrows at the range. I pushed myself to the limit and then some. I have made huge strides. I am happy and proud of how far I've come. I've had help from a few people. As far as knowledge. What to look for when to look for it. For that I am Forever greatful. Good luck to you all.

Not true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Eh pretty dang close.

I’d bet a Mcc membership that if you hunted the mcc property’s as much as I hunt public land to fill my tag you would have an opportunity at a MCC club legal deer, now what you do with that opportunity is on you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Goyaałé
Brandon,

I'm not going squabble about how much better MCC is than public....It is better (As is most managed private lands)....A couple of things about MCC deer.....One is the buck has to have at least 3 points on one side, no does, rifle only on the inside of VID, and no deer hunting in Mesa Grande....The country is big and I can only think of about 5 bucks taken with bows in the 10 years I've been a member....No different than any other property.....Rifle hunting you see a lot of bucks during the rut, but again, they have to have a 3rd point.

Guys that get good bucks on MCC work for them.....Just like anywhere else.

MCC is very hard for many to justify the cost. The $3,000 could be spent on too many other things at this point of my life. From fishing trips, to out of state hunting trips, and family vacations, I have too many demands to commit that kind of money to MCC.

For someone that has the money AND the time to take advantage of it, I am sure it is money well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

may get blasted for this,
But I have to agree.
Big game hunting is becoming
The wealthy man sport.
These days it is getting tough just to make ends meet.
When I started out I had a cheap $150 rifle with $20 peep sight.
Ammo was cheap. Kmart boots which where all leather. Lasted me approximately 20 years. Kmart $60 10 x50 binos, buck knive which I still have, this 47 years ago.
I was privilege to have been around
When this was a conservative state.
And it was normal to hang the hunting rifle in the back of the cab of my truck. Hunters were not evil people. But we're well liked.
Best
Longbow

may get blasted for this,
But I have to agree.
Big game hunting is becoming
The wealthy man sport.
These days it is getting tough just to make ends meet.
When I started out I had a cheap $150 rifle with $20 peep sight.
Ammo was cheap. Kmart boots which where all leather. Lasted me approximately 20 years. Kmart $60 10 x50 binos, buck knive which I still have, this 47 years ago.
I was privilege to have been around
When this was a conservative state.
And it was normal to hang the hunting rifle in the back of the cab of my truck. Hunters were not evil people. But we're well liked.
Best
Longbow

I very much agree with you. I’m too young to remember those good days but I grew up in Colorado and enjoyed hunting there.

Wyoming just raised tag prices , elk cost over $700 for NR, not to mention the $50 preference points before a tag is obtainable. I consider myself blessed that I am able to even consider doing this.

Anyways, I’m sure someday I will look back and say how great it was when I was young! Which means it will only get worse....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this thought in my mine and I am going to back pedal just a bit.
Now a days the quality of products.
Is not what it use to be.
The low end hunting products is in my mind( I being in the mfg business for 45 years) is junk.
And what I consider hard core hunters on this forum are correct.
Buy the best quality one can afford.
And my apologies to @Goyaałé for hijacking his thread , my intention is not to offend our other fellow hunters. But only give what I can.
So go buy that good quality rifle and scope or that quality compound bow.
Because we don't get to many chance at that biggest buck or bull.
And one has to make it count.
Now let's go hunting.
Best to all
Longbow

I disagree that big game hunting is a rich mans sport. If you are hunting in CA it is relatively inexpensive. Pick up a used rifle or even a complete new rifle set up for less than $500 get a tag and go hunting.
With that said it can get real expensive like any hobby my pack and gear are worth thousand of dollars every time I enter the field. But honestly all you need is a center fire rifle, some water, and you can kill a deer or pig in CA.
As for out of state yes it is expensive but that’s just something you need to prioritize if you want to do it. The tags are expensive but that is the price we pay to have the best game management and greatest public lands in the world.

Live is about choices. If one eats out every day for lunch well that 50 bucks a week, add that up...... if you smoke or drink add that up! I go with out and live like a tight ass all year so that I can afford to go out of state every year and buy all the gear i need (not want by the way, NEED). when I do need something I typically will buy what I want.

I drive a reliable commuter car 32 miles one way to work every day that gets 36 mpg that has been payed off for 5 years and a 2001 f150 that’s gets me any where I need to go in the mountains, I don’t need a 60k truck that is 150 bucks a week to drive to work, or a 35k cars to drive to work, so once again
Life is about choices.

One more thing, F kids!!!!! Fastest way to garentee you will work you whole life and die with debt!

Live is about choices. If one eats out every day for lunch well that 50 bucks a week, add that up...... if you smoke or drink add that up! I go with out and live like a tight ass all year so that I can afford to go out of state every year and buy all the gear i need (not want by the way, NEED). when I do need something I typically will buy what I want.

I drive a reliable commuter car 32 miles one way to work every day that gets 36 mpg that has been payed off for 5 years and a 2001 f150 that’s gets me any where I need to go in the mountains, I don’t need a 60k truck that is 150 bucks a week to drive to work, or a 35k cars to drive to work, so once again
Life is about choices.

One more thing, F kids!!!!! Fastest way to garentee you will work you whole life and die with debt!

Agree that life is about choices but completely disagree about your statement about kids. Like you said brilliantly earlier, life is about choices. So you can make plenty of money to buy all the toys/gear you want or need with a house, cars you like and have kids. You just need to make the right choices.

Agree that life is about choices but completely disagree about your statement about kids. Like you said brilliantly earlier, life is about choices. So you can make plenty of money to buy all the toys/gear you want or need with a house, cars you like and have kids. You just need to make the right choices.

Apsolutly I could, but like you quoting me “ life is about choices” and kids are not in my future.

Original post:

Good luck to everyone. I hope you all fill your tags. I have put in a lot of work this year. I feel like harvest or no harvest the season is already a successful one. I have hiked miles and miles. Trained hard. Shot thousands of arrows at the range. I pushed myself to the limit and then some. I have made huge strides. I am happy and proud of how far I've come. I've had help from a few people. As far as knowledge. What to look for when to look for it. For that I am Forever greatful. Good luck to you all.

I think we got a little off track here. Good luck to all,

I have this thought in my mine and I am going to back pedal just a bit.
Now a days the quality of products.
Is not what it use to be.
The low end hunting products is in my mind( I being in the mfg business for 45 years) is junk.
And what I consider hard core hunters on this forum are correct.
Buy the best quality one can afford.
And my apologies to @Goyaałé for hijacking his thread , my intention is not to offend our other fellow hunters. But only give what I can.
So go buy that good quality rifle and scope or that quality compound bow.
Because we don't get to many chance at that biggest buck or bull.
And one has to make it count.
Now let's go hunting.
Best to all
Longbow
No worries my Native Brother. I completely understand what you are trying to say. I'm a simple Man. The shoes on my kids feet matter more than mine. I feel like corporate America have capitalized on hunting. Well inshould say everything. Jajajjajajja!!! I feel like there isn't one thing you can buy that will make you a better hunter... Sure you can pay for a guide, a fancy bow, fancy oprics, but none of that makes an individual a better hunter.... Only experience will make you a better hunter. Anyways. Good luck to all. I like the hard work. To me it's what its all about. The harvest is the icing. The hunt is the cake....

Well better late than never, started practicing at with the compound bow. I was using my recurve with low draw wieght to work on my form and stamina. At my old home I could only get out to 30 yards. At my new place I can easily go hundred yards.
But started at 30 yards and was nailing it easily. So I stated practicing at 60 yards and surprised my self.
Using my portable shot blocker Target 16"x16" made good hits, that was a morale booster.
Ol man does ok still.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu