Second Year on D16

mr_breakfast_

Aug 23, 2022
First off, I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my post last year--I came away with enough knowledge and encouragement to at least get started.

I did a LOT of scouting on OnX and came up with a good deal of prospective hunting grounds that looked accessible. But, I found out that looks can be deceiving--several of the access roads I had planned to use ended up being gated. Moreover, a couple of my other prospects were inaccessible purely due to road conditions--my vehicle just wasn't quite up for the task. I drive a stock Subaru Outback (white with a black wolf head sticker on the back), so if you see me out there, just know that I'm not a liberal--I just needed something that was a bit more "family friendly".

At any rate, I did come across 2 spots that were accessible AND within a reasonable distance of my house. I knew that I'd only really have one full, good day to hunt so I focused on scouting the one that (to me) felt like it was most likely to have some deer. I was able to get out a few times and scout, but I never really saw anything that made me think there was going to be any deer in there. Regardless, I'd already put in the time scouting so I committed to the hunt.

It was mid-November by the time I had an opportunity to get out there and I wanted to make the most of it so I left the house around 3:30 am and arrived in the dark about an hour later. My initial plan was to hike to a glassing spot before first light, but after nearly falling off a cliff in the dark, I resigned myself to hiking up the road a ways and searching for a less treacherous crossing. Further up, I came across what I thought would be a perfect spot for a deer: a nice shady draw filled with oak trees and a small creek running through. I'd come up so noisily that I was sure there was no chance of anything still being there, but I thought that I could at least examine the are for some sign. I didn't see anything. No tracks, beds, poop, nothing.

I eventually made my way to the glassing spot I'd identified, but it was so windy that I couldn't even hold my binos still enough to see anything. Even if I had seen anything, I really doubt that I could have held steady enough to get a clean shot off. Also, by this point I was wiped out! Everything had taken longer than I had planned, my shins were beat to hell from pushing through the brush, and I was just plain tired. I found a spot that was a bit more sheltered from the wind and stuck around glassing for a couple of hours. I saw a couple of trucks driving along the road and stopping in spots to glass. Eventually, I decided to pack it up and head back to my car. The journey back also ended up taking a lot longer than I had expected. Along the way, I destroyed my shins even more, slipped on a rock and fell waist-deep in a scummy pond, put a scratch in the buttstock of my Remington 700 BDL .243, and discovered that I was coming down with the flu (luckily I'd packed some biodegradable toilet paper).

I don't remember ever being so happy to see anything as I was when I rounded the bend and saw my car. I was beat up, exhausted, and soaking wet. I didn't see a single deer, but I did learn quite a bit.

I'm looking forward to doing it again this year! I'm going to try and do a couple of day hunts, but I've got a definite 3-day hunt planned this year. I'm keeping my expectations reasonable and I think that as long as I get to spend some time away from civilization and cell service, I can call that a success.

Good luck to all the D16 hunters this season!

I guess I could've read the title......... :confused:

There's a lot of much easier places to hunt....Send me a PM

When you saw the trucks stoping ..and glassing from truck..is when I would have changed tactics..just sayin..I'm a quick learner..

When you saw the trucks stoping ..and glassing from truck..is when I would have changed tactics..just sayin..I'm a quick learner..
Yeah...I suppose I should have done that. I was kinda hoping that they'd scare something up my way. Definite learning experience. Gonna try and do less bad each year and hopefully it'll pay off down the line.

Yeah...I suppose I should have done that. I was kinda hoping that they'd scare something up my way. Definite learning experience. Gonna try and do less bad each year and hopefully it'll pay off down the line.

It will.

Often times killing a critter seems impossible, until its not. Even for the most experienced of us. You have to just keep the faith and keep doing what you think is right. The amount of animals I have killed when it looked like all hope was lost is staggering.

Last edited:
If you enjoy new challenges and being outdoors keep grinding. My interest has only grown over the past 10 years trying to teach myself mule deer hunting. I went from only hunting a couple of half-days during rifle season, to now scouting 10-15 days before season, hunted 6 days during archery, and have 10 days planned for rifle. Get out there as much as you can and stay as long as you can each day. Good luck!

Hunting is always a challenge, particularly here in the 16. It takes years for some to figure it out. Keep grinding and do not be discouraged when you see others killing bucks. Stay the course, keep learning as much as you can. And with a little luck you will get your hands of a pair of 16 antlers!

Last edited:
I love the bantering on this 16 thread, and mr_breakfast, join the club. I have battled 16 for a while now, learning each time I go out and have the shin scars to prove it. I will be doing some scouting next week as the weather turns away from this heat. My mom always said I was a plodder, never giving up until I succeed, some day I will get a deer out of that area, stay safe.

Reactions: mr_breakfast_

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu