Second Year on D16

Update: went out scouting today and ended up actually seeing some muley does along with a coyote and three separate flocks of turkeys.

All on private land, unfortunately, but at least it's proof of life nearby where I'm planning on hunting.

Until today, I don't think I'd ever seen a deer in Southern California. I was starting to think they didn't exist.

I've been hunting the 16 for four years now. The only buck I've ever shot was on private land that I got access to. I've only seen one legal buck on public lands and that was the week before opener of 2019. It's a tough zone for sure. The amount of cats we're getting is only making things worse

I hear you, i hope that the amount of hiking i will suffer through might some day pay off. I love just getting out and soloing, peaceful

Here is my update. Thirty six hours in the 16, two does' and that is it! Thirteen miles of scouting, endless glassing, this place is tough. At least I had some great views.

D16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: YETI and ilovesprig
Here is my update. Thirty six hours in the 16, two does' and that is it! Thirteen miles of scouting, endless glassing, this place is tough. At least I had some great views.
Piece of advice. Don't post pics that actually hold shooter Bucks. And, you saw deer. That is a win.

John

Reactions: Brian marable
I did not see any bucks, I just thought this was a nice picture on my drive.

Stay on or close to the roads ...those guys do well from what I've been told .

Reactions: d16ridgehiker
find whitethorn, manzanitas, with berries and acorns. Water within a mile. Find the does find the bucks. They are rutting.

Attachments

• IMG_2510.png
    IMG_2510.png
    860.4 KB · Views: 25
Stay on or close to the roads ...those guys do well from what I've been told .
I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious. I know the road hunters up in D14 tend to do pretty well, but I've never heard that about 16.

I can't tell if you're being serious or facetious. I know the road hunters up in D14 tend to do pretty well, but I've never heard that about 16.

He's serious...Although, I might add that his roads are a little less traveled.................... ;)

Reactions: Lungpopper
I'm gonna miss the D16 opener--out of town for a wedding, but I'm going to hit it the following weekend.

Went for a final scouting trip today and didn't see a darn thing. Did see a couple lads heading in to set up for the opening tomorrow.

Best of luck to all the D16 hunters this weekend! Hope you all fill your tags and scare the rest of em right into where I'm going to be hunting.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu