This weekend's hunt will be an interesting test

MJB

Besides being 1-27° we have a cow hunt and we have a good range of calibers and bullets. One is shooting the 340wby using 225gr lead.
One is using 6.8 Western using 175gr lead.
Another is using the 06 with 168ttsx.
I'll be using 06 180gr SST

So who do you think will have the most blood shot meat?
I feel the 06's will have the least.

I don't want to get out of the truck......I'm such a wimp when it's below freezing.......Ugh!

Besides being 1-27° we have a cow hunt and we have a good range of calibers and bullets. One is shooting the 340wby using 225gr lead.

I don't want to get out of the truck......I'm such a wimp when it's below freezing.......Ugh!
340 could make a real mess. Shoulder shot could be an explosion of meat and bone.

Good luck, Mark....06................... :heart:

It will probably blow all the snow up into drifts at 20mph.....glad we aren't hunting Friday in that crap. I think checking zero will happen Thursday in the desert on the way there if the rain doesn't stop us.

New Mexico

Well..it's cows ..they can be really tuff.... I think...just post the meat pole dude...you all be alright...

Shot placement and angle as well as range are all factors. That being said I'd put my money on the .340 Wby doing the most damage because of velocity and copper/ lead construction bullet. Strike a bone and all bets are off. Let us know waht happens....

I will say.. after reading this post clearly...put one in the throat..and all those calibers will work..I read alot..

Typical NM.....first hunt for cows in that state I got a LOT and we go out in a truck with bald tires, no spare and a tripod shooting stick with one broken leg. Buddy left his at home.....dumb ass
We kill one, load the truck and we get stuck in the snow 10ft from the load up.
3 hunters and the guide no cell stuck in the bottom! Finally after 30min the other truck went looking for us. But he had to call for back up......
Something about elk they always create an adventure.

Typical NM.....first hunt for cows in that state I got a LOT and we go out in a truck with bald tires, no spare and a tripod shooting stick with one broken leg. Buddy left his at home.....dumb ass
We kill one, load the truck and we get stuck in the snow 10ft from the load up.
3 hunters and the guide no cell stuck in the bottom! Finally after 30min the other truck went looking for us. But he had to call for back up......
Something about elk they always create an adventure.
Plan.....
Ahea...
d.....

SC sometimes you wonder why the guides are cheap!
Going in blind with a virgin is always fun!
Most shots should be qt away as they run away from the truck.

I want to shoot grandma so just infront of the hip and stop lower chest. A reverse throat patch......my favorite shot always!
No offense throat patches..... But when they're running away they're running away!

Some one say ass shot?? What's wrong with that? Up the old dirt road works ...the ass is a big target..just go gutless..I would....and have....pretty messy...I digress.....just post them all when you kill them mark....have fun....and be safe...rooting for you and the others buddy.... Finish!

Last edited:
Thanks guys other than freezing our southern California asses off, will be fine everybody's on target. I'm the only one that hasn't shot my gun in two years but I shoot the RR every day in the backyard.......LOL!

SC sometimes you wonder why the guides are cheap!
Going in blind with a virgin is always fun!
Most shots should be qt away as they run away from the truck.

I want to shoot grandma so just infront of the hip and stop lower chest. A reverse throat patch......my favorite shot always!
No offense throat patches..... But when they're running away they're running away
Never wondered about guide prices, they have to feed their family as well. Shoot the lead cow in front, she is grandma and herd leader and if you drop her all the others will stop and stand around while the rest of you fill your tags. Seen it happen more than once...

Well @HATCHET1 never gets out of the truck and he seems to do okay.. you've got that going for ya lol.

06 for the win! That's what I shoot.. old skool

Back