Trail cams??

Halety

Oct 28, 2013
So I know I have deer in my spots. And I'm on or near water food and beds. All I can come up with are pictures of deer butts..... Help! Need some direction on a decent trail cam that won't break the bank, but won't sacrifice quality- results. Brands? Models? Anything. Mine trail cam is going to the chopping block.

I've been using the Bushmell trophy cams for a while now and have been happy with them. The Cudybacks are good also. If you want really good go with the reconx.

How do you have the camera set up? Are they pointed down a trail or across a trail. If on water move them back a few feet.

Have them pointed across. I was thinking that may have been a prob. And maybe too high. Will 100 to 150 get me a good camera? Or do I have to break the bank?

If your pictures are clear and you have a full view of the animal. It's probably your location of the camera.....Sideways pictures take a faster shutter........Try to point camera in the direction that they normally come from for head on pictures....... If your over water try and find a tree where the animals are stationary.....If your cam has a shutter speed adjustment. You may want to speed it up.

I use the Bushnell Trophy Cams. They're around $250.00 (varies).......They do have a lesser model that I think sells for about under $150.00.......Check around. Lots of deals on them........Another great feature is the use of 8 AA batteries. I get at least a year on them....U-Tube video gives you the low down on the Trophy Cams.

When I helped with DFG's big horn sheep surveys, we used Reconyx.......Super pix, night or day.......Pricey at around $500.00 or more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdce27Fb33w

Attachments

• PICT0939.JPG
    PICT0939.JPG
    856.8 KB · Views: 30
  • trail cam desert 881.JPG
    trail cam desert 881.JPG
    323.7 KB · Views: 27
Picked up a cam this morning......Nothing too special......But always neat seeing what's happening in one of my hunting spots.......1st fawn seen this morning was also on the trail cam......A few turkeys as well.

Attachments

• PICT0182.JPG
    PICT0182.JPG
    873.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PICT0181.JPG
    PICT0181.JPG
    847.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    851.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0098.JPG
    PICT0098.JPG
    845.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PICT0062.JPG
    PICT0062.JPG
    846.7 KB · Views: 27
Ever see one of these set off your trail camera? These wild burro's are always setting off our cameras. Just kind of funny.

Attachments

• Burro.jpg
    Burro.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 238
Nope John, but I do get these........... lol

Attachments

• PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    863.2 KB · Views: 22
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    864.7 KB · Views: 25
  • trail cam....5-18-13 085.JPG
    trail cam....5-18-13 085.JPG
    742.5 KB · Views: 21
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    852.1 KB · Views: 27
Alright we stole the thread but must show these...

All from the same cam.

Attachments

• IM000221.JPG
    IM000221.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IM000141.JPG
    IM000141.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 25
  • IM000092.JPG
    IM000092.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Coyote.jpg
    Coyote.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 239
John,

I love trail cams.........No telling what your going to get........Maybe there should be a special thread for the pix.

Love the badger pic......... :)

I'm a Cuddyback fan , been using the attack ir and really like it (no flash) I originally bought them new for just under $250 each, had one stolen recently and went to replace it and found that Cuddy sells reconditioned ones for $80 that was no brainer so I picked up three more for what I thought I would spend on one.

ilovesprig said:
I use the Bushnell Trophy Cams. They're around $250.00 (varies).......Another great feature is the use of 8 AA batteries. I get at least a year on them....U-Tube video gives you the low down on the Trophy Cams.

WOW, that is some incredible battery life!!!! I have a Moultrie and a Stealth cam (both @ $100 cameras)...I don't really like either one. They both do an OK job but are hard on batteries and picture quality isn't all that great, especially the night photos.

Like most everything in life, you get what you pay for. If we didn't have the amount of theft that we do, I wouldnt have a problem paying more money for a camera. :-\

Thanks for the link.......Even though my camera's were at the top (Bushnell Trophy Cams)...... I thought the Reconyx were the best I've ever used.

Attachments

• trail cam desert 2840.JPG
    trail cam desert 2840.JPG
    442.8 KB · Views: 24
  • trail cam desert 2810.JPG
    trail cam desert 2810.JPG
    492 KB · Views: 18
  • trail cam desert 2710.JPG
    trail cam desert 2710.JPG
    472.7 KB · Views: 19
ilovesprig said:
Thanks for the link.......Even though my camera's were at the top (Bushnell Trophy Cams)...... I thought the Reconyx were the best I've ever used.

Dang, those are GREAT pictures!!

Sales are coming up, so I'm reviving this thread. I'm thinking of buying 2-3 cams this off-season. Summarizing the above, Bushnell and Cuddeback, reconyx keep coming up as high quality. Moultrie and Stealthcam, not so much. You get what you pay for. Interested to know if any mfr other than Cuddeback has reliable reconditioned cams for purchase. Reading other forums and reviews, that looks like an uncertain thing in general. Thanks for the links and that video is a great overview of the Bushnell series.
Thanks all for taking the time to give thoughtful input.

Reviews on the Bushnell HD suggest mediocre night photos. Interested in people's thoughts on that, and whether Cuddeback is better in that regard.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu