Turkey Hunting Basics

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Since there's no turkey hunting forum.......I thought I'd pin some of the do's and don'ts of turkey hunting.

A).....Safety & set-up.

1......Don't wear clothing that has red, white, or blue in it (same colors as a gobblers head).

2......Do wear full camo, including camo gloves, face mask (or paint), and socks (dark color).....Turkeys have great eyesight and can see any kind of movement. Being in full camo will help with this......I like leafy jacket & pants.

3......Don't hunt with shiny guns. The do is to have dipped camo with a dull finish.....Camo tape is a cheap way to remedy a blued or shiny gun.

4......Get a good turkey seat, pad, or chair......Don't cheap out here. Sitting for long periods of time can be uncomfortable. Many of the better vests have good cushions. The less you move around, the better the chances are a gobbler will come in.

5......Don't put jake decoys on public land in your line a fire......In fact, unless you've walked to remote areas. I don't like jake decoys on public land at all.....On private land, I almost never hunt without a jake decoy. Old toms don't like the young bucks getting any.....lol

6......Do carry a hen decoy with you. Many times this will take the attention off of you. I like them out at about 25-30 yds.......Much closer if your shooting a pellet gun or bow.

7......Do use a pop-up blind if your shooting a bow and use decoys. Decoys are set normally at about 10 yds......Pop-up blinds are good for kids and inclement weather too.

8......Always try to hunt next to a tree that's wider than your shoulders (boulders & rocks are good too). Losing the human outline is important.

9.....If someone walks in on you while your set-up.....DON'T way your arms......Whistle or yell at him 1st......Surprised people that see movement can do stupid things.

10.....Always try to set-up where you have good visuals in front and to the sides. Always set-up if possible in the shade.

B)....Your turkey vest and stuff to carry in it.

1.....Buy a vest that has a quality cushion. Or invest in a turkey seat (think low beach chair). The chair can be carried over the shoulder or in the back of the vest...... Lots of pockets on the vest are a plus too.

2.....Do carry bug and insect spray.....Mosquitos are very prevalent in spring. With another warm and dry spring, ants will be out early.....Spray the tree 1st.....Then spray your seat seat or cushion. Nothing worse than trying to hold still when ants are crawling all over you.

3.....Carry shears and a small saw. Cutting shooting lanes and putting natural vegetation around can help for less detection......Always carry a knife as well.

4.....Carry extra strikers for your slate calls. Always losing those things.

5......Carry extra mouth calls.

6......Carry box call chalk, sand paper, and stone for glass calls.

7......Carry a few extra shells.....I normally carry about 5.

8......Carry an extra flash light with extra batteries. I'll add lighter or matches as well.

9.....Water.....Goes without saying.

10.....Toilet paper.....Again, goes without saying.

C)......Types of calls.

1.......Box calls are the easiest and one of the most effective. I like Primos single-sided box call.....Makes all the calls you need......Cluck, yelp, purrs, and cutting......There's also box calls nowadays that don't need chalk......The Primos Wet Box is a nice little call.

2.......Pot & stick/striker calls......The pot calls come in a number of surfaces. Slate is the easiest to use and is most common. There's also glass that is louder and sharp. Aluminum, copper is ok, but rare to find. And I see no need to have one other than to have another sound.

3.......Mouth calls......Hardest to master, but every turkey hunter should learn to use. The main advantage is both your hands are free and there's no movement needed......Lots of brands and they all work. Try a H.S. Strut starter kit with instruct tape.

4......Push-pulls calls are good for the beginner and actually can sound very turkey like. The draw back is they don't have great volume and many sounds. Pretty good for less movement though. They can be attached to barrels and along side your leg with a single hand.

5......Wing bones......Guess they work, but really no need to learn to call them IMO. Too many good other calls for the same sound (yelps).

6......Gobble calls......I never use them. On public land your more apt to call in other hunters.

7......Locator calls.....I never hunt without a crow & peacock call around my neck. There's many times you don't want to get a gobble from a turkey sound. You just want to know where he's at.

D).....Calling

1)....DON'T over call......Turkeys can hear you from great distances. If you get a gobble. Then try him again. Many times you'll get just a shock gobble. If he gobbles a 2nd time or gobbles on his own, your in business.

2.....You'll need to determine how far he is.....The amount of calling will determine how much you want to call to him.....Move forward and try to close the distance if you can.

3.....If your running and gunning. Always call with a tree or hiding place near by.....Many times the bird is just over a rise and will come in quickly.

4......Older toms want the hens to come to him. If you call too much, he will gobble like crazy, but won't move. Make him look for you.....If he doesn't move after awhile, try a different call.....But be very careful, the old boys almost always come in silent.....In this situation, I almost always use my mouth calls after getting him fired up.....Call to hens too. They can get really pissed off that another hen is in their zone. Many times a gobbler will follow her right in.

5......After you put a visual on him, don't call unless he's out of any direct visual of you. He can and will hone in on you. Here's where decoys really help.

6......If the bird is in full strut, and he's at the decoy. Some people like to give a kee kee or or loud cluck to put their head up.....Michael Waddell once told me, "Shooting them gets them out of strut real quick"......lol

There's tons of other stuff and situations that only experience will cure (and I haven't mentioned)......Remember, no questions are dumb ones......Way better than getting a citation for shooting a hen or someone else.

Steve

ps.......Remember your hunting beards.....A tom without a beard is illegal......A hen with a beard is legal.

Great post! Are there any inclusive starter kits? I'm either buying cheap or borrowing. But hey, since I also don't know where to go, every learning curve goes somewhere.

great post! I guess I will leave my turkey costume at home this season. I would like to add this as well.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Regulations/2014-Upland-Hunting-Summary

310.5. SHOOTING HOURS FOR UPLAND
GAME BIRDS.
The shooting hours for all upland game birds,
except for pheasants and the spring wild turkey
season, shall be from one-half hour before sunrise
to sunset. The shooting hours for pheasants shall
be from 8:00 a.m. to sunset. The shooting hours for
the spring wild turkey season shall be from one-half
hour before sunrise to 4:00 p.m.

311. METHODS AUTHORIZED FOR
TAKING RESIDENT SMALL GAME.
(Refer to Section 507, page 19, for authorized
methods of take for migratory game birds, i.e.
MOURNING DOVES, WHITE-WINGED DOVES,
BAND-TAILED PIGEON, AND SNIPE .)
Only the following may be used to take resident
small game:
(a) Shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells
only and incapable of holding more than three
shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If
a plug is used to reduce the capacity of a magazine
to fulfill the requirements of this section, the plug
must be of one piece construction incapable of
removal without disassembling the gun;24 California Department of Fish and Wildlife
UPLAND GAME BIRD, SMALL GAME MAMMAL & CROW
(b) Shotgun shells may not be used or possessed
that contain shot size larger than No. BB, except
that shot size larger than No. 2 may not be used or
possessed when taking wild turkey. All shot shall
be loose in the shell.

(c) Muzzle-loading shotguns;
(d) Falconry;
(e) Bow and arrow (see Section 354 for archery
equipment regulations);
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and
used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild
turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at
least 0.177 caliber;
(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c),
(d), (e), and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may
be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except
in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may
not be used;
(h) In San Diego and Orange counties only, rabbits
may be taken at any time during the open season
by means of box traps. Such traps shall not exceed
24 inches in any dimension, shall be tended at least
once every 24 hours, and shall show the name and
address of the trap owner. All rabbits taken under
this section shall be immediately killed and become
a part of the daily bag limit;
(i) Electronic or mechanically-operated calling or
sound-reproducing devices are prohibited when
attempting to take resident game birds;

(j) Coursing dogs may be used to take rabbits;
(k) Archers hunting during any archery season may
not possess a firearm while in the field engaged in
archery hunting during an archery season;
(l) The use of live decoys is prohibited when
attempting to take resident game birds;

(m) Pistols and revolvers may be used to take sooty
and ruffed grouse in those counties only and for the
season described in Section 300(a)(1)(E).
(n) Crossbows, except for provisions of Section
354(d) and (g).
(o) Dogs may be used to take and retrieve resident
small game.
JULY 2014 - JUNE 2015 UPLAND GAME BIRD

Excellent post especially with the calling tips. And thanks for the reminder on bug spray.. I somehow always setup on trees loaded with fire ants lol. I was thinking of getting a pot call to add to my vest.. any you'd recommend?

Reactions: Goyaałé
And if that turkey takes off after you shoot it and you can't find it get a dog to help. I've had one burry himself in a bush I stomped hard he didn't move until the dog was on his arse

Reactions: Goyaałé
SurfNHuntSD said:
Excellent post especially with the calling tips. And thanks for the reminder on bug spray.. I somehow always setup on trees loaded with fire ants lol. I was thinking of getting a pot call to add to my vest.. any you'd recommend?

I have a number of different calls and like duck calls. I'm a sap for the new sounds & stuff.......lol

My go to pot call is made by one of the kids I take hunting.....And it's glass.....Flydown Custom calls......40 bucks (includes matching striker) and they're sweet.....Pure Strut slate is another that I use (sweet sound).

I'll have a number of different calls at the turkey tune-up along with some other manufactures.

Attachments

• IMG_6887.JPG
    IMG_6887.JPG
    628.6 KB · Views: 149
MJB said:
Don't forget about the rattlers........

Thanks Mark......I had it typed in and got sidetracked and didn't put it back.

Rattlers are very common in San Diego Co. especially in the spring time...Every spring I have friends that get close to them. The Southern Pacific's can be very aggressive....If you don't have snake boots or chaps, you may want to consider them.....Also, watch when you sit down, where you put your hands after sitting for awhile, and stepping in rocks or over logs.

Attachments

• turkey hunt 4-19-12 013.JPG
    turkey hunt 4-19-12 013.JPG
    468.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG1300_234.jpg
    IMG1300_234.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 178
Haha Tanner and Josh look so young in that last pic :D

One of my go to calls is a Adam Prouty glass call. extremely realistic with a sharp front end and a raspy transition.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 131
A few more tricks of the trade........ ;)

When scouting get out at least an 1/2 before flydown.......Right now it's about 6:25 am......The gobblers and hens are very vocal at this time.....Also don't use turkey calls to make them gobble, if you can help it....Good old DR-85 duck call works great. The traditional owl hoot and coyote yelper work too.

If your scouting in unknown areas, look for droppings, feathers, drag marks, leaf litter scrapes, and tracks. If the dropping is in a hook shape, it's a tom.......The best site you can see are drag marks. This is from the toms displaying and dragging their wings......Lots of feathers and dropping indicate a roost tree......Tom tracks are much larger than a hens and the middle toe is longer.

Another thing to remember is that turkeys travel almost all day (normally a big circle). Don't be discouraged, if you see sign but no turkeys. They may have passed thru at a different time. A friend got one last year on public land by putting out a trail cam. Knew exactly when they were passing thru the property.

I never hunt turkeys without binos especially in places like New Mexico or Montana. San Diego has some big country too.

Lastly (for now), spring dispersal is when the winter flock-up starts moving off. Toms will push hens away. Big toms push jakes away. Once hens are dispersed, toms start moving around looking for more hens. This is when they're most vulnerable. If your near known turkey spots, hang with them. Any day could be the one that tom or group of jakes may hear your calling......I might add in this situation, many times the tom won't call. He doesn't want to bring attention to his find. So, call every 20-30 minutes and stay put. Watch for movement and let them find you.

I'll cover shooting and shotshells next time......4:30 am comes early......lol

A few pix of things to look for.

Attachments

• Co. youth hunt 3-2-13 003.JPG
    Co. youth hunt 3-2-13 003.JPG
    553.1 KB · Views: 139
  • turkeys 3-2-11 006.JPG
    turkeys 3-2-11 006.JPG
    764.1 KB · Views: 151
  • new mexico turkey hunt 2011 026.JPG
    new mexico turkey hunt 2011 026.JPG
    881.8 KB · Views: 188
  • new mexico turkey hunt 2011 046.JPG
    new mexico turkey hunt 2011 046.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 163
  • turkeys 2-10-12 008.JPG
    turkeys 2-10-12 008.JPG
    1,021.6 KB · Views: 157
Wow lots of great tips for us newbie hunters. Now how about some spot :) I kid I kid. Well hope to find me a spot this we'll be my first yr hunting turkey. Question does any one know if there are turkeys in the south part of Angeles forest d11,d13 area and the in Cleveland forest (d15) or is it more up north and down south in San Diego?

chava,

with 23 posts, you can be forgiven for asking. NOBODY is going to tell you where turkeys are. NOBODY!!!

Thanks for the tips! This will be my second year going after turkeys and Im excited. I will be attending the turkey tune-up as well. Hope to meet some of you guys there.

I hope to be all about pigs up north and leave what little turkeys are left to grow another season

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu