Turkey Hunting

There is a great amount of info in the upland forum . Suggest starting there. When scouting for turkey look for sign just like deer hunting.
Tracks, scat, and definitely use game cameras.
At day break turkeys use locator call's, this is how find them.
They like feed, water near by. And trees to roost. They have sharp eyes. And can detect movement.
And any features that are not natural. Colors , the shape, ect.
Must , must be camo or have blind
That blends in.
I have had them walk by me because
I was camouflage and and sat perfectly still, with out calling.
Go to the turkey tune up.
Watch videos.
Calling has to be perfect.
So many hunters call and they get use to it. They can tell the difference.
If ain't right.

An other thought to is this.
To all newbies don't chase the turkeys. I see hunters do this every year. It chases them out of public land into private.
Don't do it. Plus it's dangerous you
Could be stalking an other Hunter.
And no no turkey gobbling.
Dangerous as f___k.
Camo everything bow or shotgun.
Hands, face,boots, everything.
Like I said they keen eyes and will
Bust you. LOL, it's happened to me
With my traditional bow, or sun glasses.

G',

Way too much to try and discuss here about what it takes to bag a turkey....I can tell you, full camo is needed....Learn a couple of calls (box call easiest), don't over call....Constantly listen & look while calling (learn their sounds)….It is imperative that you see them 1st (I never hunt them without binos)….A good cushion or turkey lounger will help on those long slow days.

Know your gun, pattern gun, don't shoot at the body or eyeball, shoot at the base of the neck....Buy the best shells you can afford (Hevi-Shot blend or TSS)....You may only get one opportunity a year....And yes, guys miss turkeys every year....lol

Run & gun (walk & call) especially when you first start out....I've felt a good woodsman will get more turkeys than a good caller (try to be both)….If you find birds, then set-up as close as possible....Just because a bird gobbles, it doesn't mean he coming (shock gobble), but he could be....Find a tree ASAP....Don't call again....He knows exactly where you are....Oh, and have your gun up….If it was just a shock gobble, let him go (walking away)....Come back later (10:00 am-1:00 pm)….Middle of the day can be great after they lose their hens (he will remember you)....If you're hunting public and there are other hunters around....Find a likely spot and sit still (think deer hunting).

The turkey tune-Up is where it's at, if you want to get into turkey hunting (Feb 23rd)....Lots of knowledgeable guys that are more than willing to share their experiences.

Today

Might go scout Cleveland forest above camp pendleton. It is half the distance to the turkey tune up

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé
I love this time of year. Turkeys are fascinating animals. My 2 cents... find a gobbler or a flock ASAP to target, and stick with it. If you can do this now, check periodically to make sure he's in the same area. As the season gets closer, FIND THAT ROOST. If you can hear them at daybreak or sunset, you're in the right area (correction: if you hear them or see them at all, you're in the right area :joy:). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to use the same roost over and over and over again...... most of the time, as long as someone or something doesn't spook it so bad that it is forced to relocate. When i found my first roost, I finally felt like I had a fighting chance at killing one.

James,

They will stay on the same roost for years, if not disturbed....They will use historical roosts when spring dispersal starts too....When I'm checking bird counts, I haul a$$ from historical roost to historical roost....Gives me a pretty good idea how recruitment went.

And we never know enough.
Hardest part is calling.
Some are natural at it, I suck....lol

I don't totally suck, but not very good either....The answer to this is, don't call a lot and use calls that are hunter friendly....Push pull, slate over glass, and box calls....Bat wing diaphragms are a little easier too....Like I mentioned earlier, if you get a hit (gobble back), read the bird (distance from you), call sparingly, and have your gun in a shooting position (or at least on your knee)....It's amazing how fast a hot tom can get to you....They don't all gobble coming in and some have much softer gobbles....So be ready....My second bird last year came in totally silent....Only because I had another bird gobbling did I get him (gun was up), when I saw the movement from the side.

Cadence is the key to calling....Listen to live hens....A little video I made a few years

I don't totally suck, but not very good either....The answer to this is, don't call a lot and use calls that are hunter friendly....Push pull, slate over glass, and box calls....Bat wing diaphragms are a little easier too....Like I mentioned earlier, if you get a hit (gobble back), read the bird (distance from you), call sparingly, and have your gun in a shooting position (or at least on your knee)....It's amazing how fast a hot tom can get to you....They don't all gobble coming in and some have much softer gobbles....So be ready....My second bird last year came in totally silent....Only because I had another bird gobbling did I get him (gun was up), when I saw the movement from the side.

Cadence is the key to calling....Listen to live hens....A little video I made a few years

Thank you Steve, I have a box caller.
And a few mouth calls. I do like the slate callers.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Doesn't do much good scouting areas without turkeys....Just sayin'

ps....Another 25 miles and you'll possibly find some....;)
I was planning on going to just north of the Santa Rosa plateau reserve. West of Santa Rosa south. Where is the location "another 25 miles"?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu