Turkey Hunting

DH,

Over the years, I did get reports of a few turkeys in the Santa Rosa Plateau, but it's been years....They never really told hold, especially after the drought....Lake Henshaw area....And if you're going that far, why not go to the tune-up, where I know there's turkeys on public.

ps....If you're going to hunt SoCal....You better get used to driving....;)

And we never know enough.
Hardest part is calling.
Some are natural at it, I suck....lol

The trickiest thing for me the last few years is that the first week of the season the toms have been henned up already and can't be called off. Then once those hens go down to nest and the toms wander, they've already heard every hunter's call since for a whole week everyones been hitting them hard with yelps and cuts and purrs and.. you get the picture. Tough game!

DH,

Over the years, I did get reports of a few turkeys in the Santa Rosa Plateau, but it's been years....They never really told hold, especially after the drought....Lake Henshaw area....And if you're going that far, why not go to the tune-up, where I know there's turkeys on public.

Ilovesprig, I'd go Saturday but have plans, that is why I was going scouting near Santa Rosa plateau. I got you with the drive too.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The best turkey hunt I ever had was putting them to bed. Then the next morning I knew where to find them.

A funny moment I had once was on one of my early turkey hunts before I had a clue about what I was doing (and still don't, really). I set up nearby a known roost tree but maybe I made too much noise because, when the flydown time came, the big gobbler flew from the tree.. about 120 yards in the air across the meadow and never came back. Doh!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Well my son and I had hike in before day light sat down under a pine tree.
Doing archery hunt for turkey.
Sat quietly for 3 hours. No calls no gobbles. Lots of turkey's o future scouts. We get up. Stretching. Freaking Tom flies off the same tree
We were sitting. LOL.

Reactions: DirtHunter

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu