Turkey

I'm definitely getting ready for the season. Practicing my calls, scouting, and working on the NWTF events coming up.

Oh, and really looking forward to coming to Utah for the 1st time......;)

.107.JPG

I live in turkey country (Mesa Grande/Santa Ysabel) They need to be left alone for a few years. Let them recover....
Been on a few properties in the area lately seen a few birds but that area definitely has a few more years to get back to form. Now as for some other areas around there I have seen some flocks of like 50 birds so kill away on those ones.

Been on a few properties in the area lately seen a few birds but that area definitely has a few more years to get back to form. Now as for some other areas around there I have seen some flocks of like 50 birds so kill away on those ones.
In east county is not even close as it was, except in areas where it is private and had water.

This is just my opinion, but not shooting fall hens (turkeys at all) or spring bearded hens is what matters to our turkey population locally.....We had pretty good recruitment last spring in many areas (judged by the number of jakes I've seen).....This spring will be even better because predators will NOT be able to hone in on any one water source when hens have poults (plus higher grasses).....Very few of the best hunters I know even shoot jakes.....Dispersal will take care of the rest.....Remember, we only started with 289 turkeys in 1993 (and there was a turkey season that year).....We are obviously starting with way way more than that now.

Fred......Less than 2 miles of your place, I saw 13 jakes recently.....Another couple of miles from there, we had 7 jakes that made it thru the season (longs this year).....Saw another 11 jakes at Tino Cauza's last week.....The turkeys are there.....For whatever reason, they're just not in the numbers you're used to at your place yet.....And these observations are just driving around.

Can't wait, as my first daughter gets buisy with life and the SHERIFFS academy, my third daughter decided she's ready to hunt.Will take her to hunter safety on Saturday, just in time for turkey season.

Looking forward to it as always, although I may only get out once or twice due to a busy schedule. I'm also hoping CNF opens the roads back up that have been closed due to the rains. Pretty excited to try out this new call I got from Pure Strut!
492a1f0413b2fbf0f0113cb1141a767b.jpg

I don't think we had one fall hen posted on here this year? I don't know anyone who hunted them this year either. I have been against it for years. If anything they should break the fall hunt up by zones up north can do it but down here we shouldn't have a season.

Reactions: turkeyman 85
I don't think we had one fall hen posted on here this year? I don't know anyone who hunted them this year either. I have been against it for years. If anything they should break the fall hunt up by zones up north can do it but down here we shouldn't have a season.

Drew,

That's the way it used to be.....San Diego Co.....No fall season (changed 6-7 years ago)......San Bernardino Co. planted birds at the same time SD did.....There was a fall season there and those birds lasted about 3 years (heavy snows those years probably didn't help either).

ps.....Sadly, I did hear that one landowner killed 4 hens this fall.....What you going to do?.....They own the land.

pss.....Jason.....Steve at Pure Strut makes damn nice calls......;)

.IMG_6887.JPG

Drew,

That's the way it used to be.....San Diego Co.....No fall season (changed 6-7 years ago)......San Bernardino Co. planted birds at the same time SD did.....There was a fall season there and those birds lasted about 3 years (heavy snows those years probably didn't help either).

ps.....Sadly, I did hear that one landowner killed 4 hens this fall.....What you going to do?.....They own the land.

pss.....Jason.....Steve at Pure Strut makes damn nice calls......;)

.View attachment 29629

Almost as nice as flydown custom calls;)

IMG_1290.JPG IMG_1266.JPG

Reactions: Matagi

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu