Turkey

I'm definitely optimistic about our recruitment from last year......Only problem is, we just didn't start with many hens.....This spring I've observed a number of hens that either have no gobblers or a jake or three.....I've come to the conclusion these groups of hens are all jennys......Non breeders for now......The big toms are with the mature hens.....Yesterday was a perfect example.....This jake (1st pic) was by himself with 17 hens.....Right across the road was 10 more jake following 6 longs with about 30 hens.....I'm very excited about next years recruiting class.

The other thing that should play out is a much later dispersal and gobbling peaks because of our weather this year (cold, windy, & wet).....The last couple of years the breeding was pretty much over by our opener.

.005.JPG 007.JPG

Reactions: The Deer Guy
Glad to hear that Steve, What your report speaks to is don't shoot jake's and no fall season hunting of hens. I believe if we do that it will lead to a quicker recovery in the coming years if the rain continues to fall over the next few seasons. I personally don't hunt them much but enjoy their presence in and around my property.

Reactions: Matagi

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu