We will be on top of the mountain

CMPeterson said:
Like I said above the tournament is cool but I want meat in the freezer!

A lot of time for meat. I'll shoot a small one when I have my son with me.

Ya, sleep on the ground with the tarantulas................No thanks.

I woulda shot that second one, any day of the season. The first one probably too, I'd only feel bad till I was eating it.

Captaintb said:

I woulda shot that second one, any day of the season. The first one probably too, I'd only feel bad till I was eating it.

We didn't get pics of the rattle snake or the scorpion on the way up the hill. Poisonous critters all over.
The rattler (4 footer) was a few feet off the trail and buzzed us as we went by. Johny tried to catch it but with the warm weather the snake wasn't playing the game. We didn't have any lights on until then, had them on quiet a bit after that.

Shooting the first one just wouldn't have been right. he was to friendly. We first saw him at 189 yards and he saw us and still walked up to 50 yards from us.

Captaintb said:

LP let's go get HIM

I know where you guys went, that is a lot of work getting in and out of there. I went to a spot way deep on public land but not quite as long of a hike as you guys. Scouted it 2 weeks ago and found good buck sign, and I could tell no had been in there for a long time. So we loaded up the packs and went for it. Long hike in got set up early and no deer at all. we sat it out till about 11.00 am. On the way out we checked the area real good for fresh sign and it didn't look like they had been there in a while. Bummer! Oh well you gotta try. I have been thinking about this spot for years so Im glad I got it out of my system. I was pretty bummed because it has everything a good spot needs to hold deer. Here is a pic right after sun up. It did hold mountain quail, and a small group of turkey walked through the far end.

Attachments

• 2013-10-26_07-06-55_823.jpg
    2013-10-26_07-06-55_823.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
I'm riding the horse up there this week. Way easier for a meat shot.

Its great if there's water in the pond. Use to hunt with my dad before he passed up there. We would go up for 4 or 5 days every year. That's until 2003 when it burned then mitigated in 2012. I shot my first buck there in 1994. Bret use to let us park and ride off the ranch and it was a breeze. You just can't do it if there's no water for the stock. There's a Indian arrowhead site up there that's littered have you ever found it.

Good looking out I guess youngun has to Cary his own water.I've heard that its no longer private since mitigation up top. Any validity to that. My buddy killed a pig up there when his company was mitigating the land so their around and he validated his tag as USFS after and gave GPS coords and nothing was said to him . They told him to kill um all.

If all goes well we will be putting another notch in the headboard of the Forky nation. 308 yards just waiting for him to stand up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 21
Back