Welcome Newbies!

BigStixx said:
I'm a newbie and proud of it!! Haha
I live in the city of Lake Elsinore just south of Riverside and north of Temecula on the 15 freeway. I currently own an AR 15 and am looking to get into hunting out in my area. I come from a non gun owning family but have always been pro gun myself. Now that I have my own family I would like to start a tradition of shooting and hunting in my family. I have heard of lots of great areas to go shooting and hunting near by but since I have never been on a hunt I'm in need of some help!
Looking for some family oriented/friendly friends to start popping off a few rounds!
Any help would be great!!
Thanks
:)
Do you have kids already? The NWTF Jakes event on June 27 will have lots of activities (bow, BB, etc) with basic safety instruction for juniors. Bringing your family to events like that will help you get them started off right.

Welcome BigStixx,

Yes, the JAKES event is a great time for the kids and adults alike......It's free to all children ($5.00 for adults)......The kids even get a free membership to NWTF JAKES.....I will start taking names June 1st.......1st 100 kids get in.......Check out NWTF San Diego's website......sandiegoturkeys.com

I will have more info closer to the event here on SCH.

Tophurian said:
Hello, my name is Christopher and I've never been hunting but after working for Turner's Outdoorsman for the past 3 years I'm extremely interested and trying to plan my first hunt.

I was originally going to try Cottontails in Mt Baldy but it's totally not the season so instead I'm going to hunt Jackrabbits off the I-15. I suppose I'll just have to crock-pot it instead of the barbecue I originally had in mind (cause my customers got me concerned about parasites)

I was going to go alone but it looks like I found another first timer to hunt with so we'll get to learn as we screw up and get dysentery together. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate them.

Hello Christopher, my name is Chris and I'm new to hunting in SD, I'm also looking for hunting partner, let me know if you want get together for some small game hunt.

Hi everyone, I'm just a hillybilly from Tn. a friend put me on your site I like it. Just a little about myself , Love to bow hunt Been standing behind a bow for 39 years . And had a lot of fun doing it . Be bless in meeting a tremendous amount of good people over the years also. And hope to get to talk with a lot of you'll.

Thanks, Dana

BigStixx said:
I live in the city of Lake Elsinore just south of Riverside and north of Temecula on the 15 freeway. I currently own an AR 15 and am looking to get into hunting out in my area. I come from a non gun owning family but have always been pro gun myself. Now that I have my own family I would like to start a tradition of shooting and hunting in my family. I have heard of lots of great areas to go shooting and hunting near by but since I have never been on a hunt I'm in need of some help!
Looking for some family oriented/friendly friends to start popping off a few rounds!
Thanks

Hey BigStixx,

I'm right up the 15 in Corona...and have a very similar story to you. I have a hunting AR15 6.8 SPC for Deer/Pig...but want to start off my hunting career focusing on quail. Seems to be a better option from what I have learned. PM me if you want to hook up for a hunting this Oct (upland game tag needed).

2dogs1name said:
BigStixx said:
Thanks

Hey BigStixx,

I'm right up the 15 in Corona...and have a very similar story to you. I have a hunting AR15 6.8 SPC for Deer/Pig...but want to start off my hunting career focusing on quail. Seems to be a better option from what I have learned. PM me if you want to hook up for a hunting this Oct (upland game tag needed).
\

i already offered stixx b ut my offer to both stands im available with a good pointer and my first love in hunting us upland game quail particularly. I do of coarse also have and love my AR lets set something up.

2 dogs,

Welcome to SCH...........Tough times lately for our quail pops, but did see a lot of chicks last week in the desert......Late rain like this could give us a banner hatch for both valley & gambel quail (chukar too).........Fingers crossed.......... ;)

Look closely at the picture......This hen has about 18 babies......That's how you get good coveys quickly...... ;D

Attachments

• IMG_7840.JPG
    IMG_7840.JPG
    772 KB · Views: 26
My name is James, Im up in the Wrightwood/ Phelan area. Never really had time to hunt before, but now i have a job that allows me a great deal more free time.

Welcome James to SCH,

Your very close to deer, chukar & quail country.......What kind of hunting were you looking to get into?

Pretty well what you mentioned there ilovesprig. I grew up with a generation gap between hunters, dad thought it mean to murder animals.. He still thinks im in it for fun, instead of for putting meat on the table. Basically upland game and Deer is what I'm looking for.

Hi guys,

Aspiring bow hunter from Orange County. I'm prior military, very experienced in hunting, but haven't had the chance to hunt wildlife. Can't wait to meet ya'all at the BBQ!

Well, we have a "Snake Charmer" and now a "Snake Eater....Good combo...... :D

Welcome to SCH......See you at the BBQ....... ;D

ps......And thank you for your service.

Hello everyone, I'm new to hunting world and interested in starting out dove hunting. I live in the Victorville/Apple valley area and looking for good spots locally to scout before the season starts. Any advise or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Welcome PB. I take it you are shooting an 870? What gauge? You'll want to pattern it with different loads of birdshot before you go out, and it's helpful to practice at the range on skeet or trap in order to practice swinging. Doves are fast, and they can be challenging till you learn to swing through, and follow through. So I'd just get to know your gun too, in addition to scouting properties to find birds.

Thank you Bonejour. I have an 870 12 gauge with a 21 inch barrel and a full choke. I have been taking it out once week for a few months now trying to get a good feel for it. Shooting clays. Not the best, but very much enjoying getting out there. Never hunted before and this will be my first dove season and trying to find some local areas to get my feet wet.

PB,

Welcome to SCH........Rem 870 with 21" barrel & full choke?........Is it the Special Field edition (English stock). I thought they came in either mod or choked.......Anyway, I commented on your other post about doves in your area.....They'll be no substitute for you driving around some.....Try the areas around Acton, Lancaster, or Mojave.....Finding a water source would be great. Can't think of any on public land, but with a spinner, you may be able to short stop some, if there's a local reservoir/sanitation pond......Good luck & start scouting now..... ;)

New to the Forum. I run a San Diego Survival School www.sdswot.com

Looking to take a turkey for my first time in San Diego this year. An outdoor nut, have hunted small game most of my life, and love learning, practicing and sharing primitive and outdoor survival skills. My co-instructor is an active Survival, Evasion, Resistance & Escape (SERE) instructor for the military here in San Diego. He's more tacti-cool where I generally am playing with a lot of rocks, bones and sticks. :)

I look forward to the board and hopefully meeting a few of you sometime out getting dirty. Remember, Knowledge Weights Nothing!

SDSS,

Welcome to SCH..........Lots of turkeys in the SERE camp.........Just sayin'......... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_6457.JPG
    IMG_6457.JPG
    856.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6463.JPG
    IMG_6463.JPG
    959.8 KB · Views: 25

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu