Whats in your day pack

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
Covering 5-10 miles a day during deer season in San Diego definitely takes a tole on me. I am a big believer in lighter is better and less weight is less pain. Here are a few things I always care: two knifes, a pen, my tags & ties, a primos raspy coaxer, a few band-aids(for blisters or something), toilet paper roll, at least two peanut butter and honey sandwiches, trail mix, a few quest bars, one 3L camelbak (sometimes i worry its not enough). I only cary about ten rounds on me as well. Pack weighs in about 12lbs plus my rifle another 8-9lbs.

I am also looking for any input on a couple of bright reliable packable flashlights that you might use? I can never seem to get a flash light I really trust or is bright enough.

Also what kind of survival gear do you guys have in your hunting pack all the time?

What do you guys carry to keep you comfortable and confident in the field?

i carry more then most but if im out away from the truck i carry a full first aid kit with celox trauma kit fro gun shots. incase the unthinkable happens. a 2ltr camel plus another litr in my pack. Cliff bars save my back. i have several plus jerky for when i need an emotional pick up. I use fenix lights for when it counts like on my weapons but i carry a single 18650 ultrafire 502B. its cheap at 15 bucks. and ive beat the hell out of them. they are cheap enough to have several. each car, all my kids, and i carry one for work every day on my belt and use it all day every day and get at least a 5 day work week out of one battery. Its crazy bright for my needs. it has enough flood to clear big buildings in the dark and tosses the beam a good 40 yards. it is only 3.7volt to no CR123's but my 18650 batterys last for months in my go bag as well. i love them for the price. they are not fenix or sure fire and i would not bet my life on one in combat but i dont need to worry about loosing one either. my first aid kit also has an emergency blanket and fire starter and a zippo with fresh fluid and 2 bic lighters. Im maybe a little too prepared i admit. i come in at about 18lbs with 20rounds of ammo total 10 in the gun and 10 in the pack in a mag.

10 rounds of ammo, 2 liters of water, 2 knives (not in the pack, one is a belt knife and one is a multi-tool and lives in my pocket), game bags, a few trash bags, a few pair of disposable medical-style gloves, 50 ft of cord, my home-made med/blister kit, tags and pens and ties, trail mix, one sandwich, a bar or two, lighter, extra batteries, my headlamp (forget flashlights….), binocs are around the neck, truck keys, phone, pre-charged portable phone battery charger (only weighs a few ounces) potentially a jacket but rarely. I think that's it.

My bird hunting pack probably weighs more than my deer hunting pack because I have to carry so much water for the dogs….

Really though, forget flashlights guys, you'll thank me. I come from a climbing background where using a flashlight is not possible. The headlamp looks where you look and having two hands free is amazing. I'm not really paranoid about lions, but when I'm hiking into or out of spots in the dark, I really appreciate that I can have both hands free to operate a long gun or access my belt knife and still see where I am looking. Look at Black Diamond or Petzl for quality lights. Not sure if Surefire or other quality hand light makers make them.

AS a mountaineer for 25 years I do agree with the head lamp. I have many and do usually take them however from a operator stand point if I'm out deer hunting scouting yote calling I've always got my side arm. I need the hand light head lamps don't work for that. So I've switched over but if I'm hiking and I know I'll be in the dark the head lamp is always packed. They make some great cr123 and 18650 powered lights as well as normal AA power. Nothing replaces a head lamp when you need one

GSPman said:
i carry more then most but if im out away from the truck i carry a full first aid kit with celox trauma kit fro gun shots. incase the unthinkable happens. a 2ltr camel plus another litr in my pack. Cliff bats save my back. i have several plus jerky for when i need an emotional pick up. I use fenix lights for when it counts like on my weapons but i carry a single 18650 ultrafire 502B. its cheap at 15 bucks. and ive beat the hell out of them. they are cheap enough to have several. each car, all my kids, and i carry one for work every day on my belt and use it all day every day and get at least a 5 day work week out of one battery. Its crazy bright for my needs. it has enough flood to clear big buildings in the dark and tosses the beam a good 40 yards. it is only 3.7volt to no CR123's but my 18650 batterys last for months in my go bag as well. i love them for the price. they are not fenix or sure fire and i would not bet my life on one in combat but i dont need to worry about loosing one either. my first aid kit also has an emergency blanket and fire starter and a zippo with fresh fluid and 2 bic lighters. Im maybe a little too prepared i admit. i come in at about 18lbs with 20rounds of ammo total 10 in the gun and 10 in the pack in a mag.

I picked up one of these guys http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VPPERC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and would recommend it fully. I'll probably buy a bunch more just to put in all my packs and vehicles, the thing is $5 and is as bright as one $50 more. I don't know if it's water proof or if it matters right now, you could wrap it in electrical and you'd be good.

I'm pretty much not a day backpacker, but when it comes to headlamps......This little baby at 5 bucks is the deal of deals......I ordered 10 and gave them to some kids and myself......Unbelievably bright, it's light as a feather, and takes 3 AAA batteries......One of the best investments I've ever made.

They even passed the frog hunting test.....So bright, they never made a move..... ;)

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/150-Lumen-CREE-Q5-LED-3-Mode-Zoomable-Headlamp-Head-torch-Light-Lamp-Headlight-/111335226791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ec18bda7

Attachments

• frog huntin' 6-19-13 024.JPG
    frog huntin' 6-19-13 024.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 24
  • frog huntin' 6-19-13 016.JPG
    frog huntin' 6-19-13 016.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 26
Sweet ill check those lights out. I really want a high quality head lamp.... i have a low end head lamp i use for fishing when needed but i want a brighter more reliable. What about field dressing? Do you guys field dress and drag or prefer to quarter out your deer? Do you have to leave the testicals for identification in san diego ?

I'm old school and still drag......Of course, at my age I don't make the big walks like I used to......In California, you do not have to leave the nuts on a buck, but it does have to be identifiable as a legal buck (forked horn)......I recently shot a buck in Montana and there I DID have to leave them on till he was at the butcher (elk too).......I drug him too. From up here to down there.......Always hunt up hill....... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9396.JPG
    IMG_9396.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9407.JPG
    IMG_9407.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
sweet i think I'm looking for more lumens in a head light...... price is not much an issue compared to reliability and durability because if i only have to pay for it once and it lasts multiple years then its worth the investment. Most of my buddies gut and drag but i have seen people who don't even gut they just cape and remove the meat from the bone seemed much more time and weight efficient? what do y'all think.

Jdrivsd619 said:
Most of my buddies gut and drag but i have seen people who don't even gut they just cape and remove the meat from the bone seemed much more time and weight efficient? what do y'all think.

If you really are doing 5-10 miles a day, debone and pack it out in one trip. Dragging for miles is unrealistic. Quartering it out or deboning is your best option.

It never really seems like i travel that far but according to my Iphone6 Health app which measures steps, altitude change, distance walked, and height climbed an average day in the area I hunt will run us about 8-10 miles from truck and back....... I felt like quartering would make the trip much easier being able to control the weight rather then having dead weight over your shoulders or dragging behind you but both of my friends drag there gut and drag that same distance......... takes them 4-5 hours to get to the truck.... i think I'm going to quarter my buck next year!!!

These head lights are great. Mine arrived today.
Thank you for the recommendation.

DanSanDiego said:
These head lights are great. Mine arrived today.
Thank you for the recommendation.
Which headlamp did you purchase ? I saw that the bow and arrow shop had a few head lamps in there was wondering if anyone has used them?

I also purchased one of these lights through the link that Steve posted. At first I thought it may be too good to be true but for $4.99 including shipping I was willing to take the chance. Well the light arrived yesterday and for five bucks I think it's awesome. A lot brighter than my $20 streamlight headlamp and you can adjust the beam.

Over the past few months I've come go trust Sprig. I've got to admit I have 2 on the way as well. I guessi jumped on that wagon with many I you

I do have very expensive weapon lights but I'm finding that for daily use they are making some great cheap lights these days

As far as lighting goes, I ran this

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coast-20144-Coast-HL44-LED-Headlamp-210-Lumens/36039945

the red led got a great workout, it's lightweight, didn't turn on in the pack, fairly inexpensive and readily available.

and I always carry

http://www.amazon.com/Nextorch-Lumen-Multi-Mode-Penlight-Batteries/dp/B008VEFTFS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1425192886&sr=1-1&keywords=nextorch+k3

Other goods include, but are not limited to:

Sog Paratool (on belt)
Schrade SCFH9 (on belt)
Havalon Piranta
Buck Knives Bantam
"True Utility- Firestash" http://www.amazon.com/True-Utility-FireStash-Keyring-Lighter/dp/B0045OW0N2
25ft 550 cord x2
Small first aid kit (bandaids, blister aids, snake bite kit, neosporin, tylenol, gauze, etc.)
Game bags
Trash bag
Diposable gloves
Reg Books
Tags
Pens/ sharpie
Campfire permit
Zip Ties
Maps
Compass
Phone (Airplane mode)
Jacket (sometimes)
Extra pair of socks
2L Bladder
Sandwiches
Fruit
Sig P226 Dark Elite (on belt)
Remington 783, or Benelli Nova

Now that I look at it. I carry a lot of stuff...
Starting to look at lightening the load a bit.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu