Whats in your day pack

Now that I received the one headlamp ($5 eBay) I'm going to order a second.
I saw in your list a 'camp fire permit' - is that just for an emergency situation or with that permit is it permissible to have a campfire while camping?
I expect that it is just for emergency situations but wanted to ask (I think about camping a night while hunting but haven't actually done that yet - and if I did I would probably just sleep in my car to save the driving time early I the morning).

DanSanDiego said:
Now that I received the one headlamp ($5 eBay) I'm going to order a second.
I saw in your list a 'camp fire permit' - is that just for an emergency situation or with that permit is it permissible to have a campfire while camping?
I expect that it is just for emergency situations but wanted to ask (I think about camping a night while hunting but haven't actually done that yet - and if I did I would probably just sleep in my car to save the driving time early I the morning).
Restrictions vary by time of year, jurisdiction and location of campground. If you have ANY thought of building an open fire, you need to know the law and the restrictions in that area beforehand. There is no fire allowed in CNF at any time except in designated pits in specific campsites. You'll find no permits (and no mercy) for building a fire in an emergency. Just a word to the wise.
Some useful links:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/landmanagement/?cid=fsbdev7_016451&width=full

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/cleveland/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5278260&width=full

Here's an article about a couple of fires set by hunters in "emergencies."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-caused-huge-wildfire-near-yosemite-us-forest-service-says/
The hunters clearly were inexperienced outdoorsmen as well as novice hunters, but the fact they were hunters is what folks remember. Nowadays with GPS and cell phones, it is harder than ever to get lost in the woods, but it can still happen. The basic rules of backwoods hiking still hold: Know the terrain, tell someone where you'll be and when to expect you back, and take extra layers, food and water depending on your hunt plan. I still carry topos with me as well if I'm in the backcountry. Old habits die hard and I don't want to worry about battery life.
Sorry for the rant. I'm done now :)

Honestly y'all are pretty entertaining and very helpful. Well i guess I'm going to jump on the wagon and get a couple of those head lamps.

And to be honest if i am in a survival situation and need a fire to survive i am going to build one if my life depends on it. Suffering the reproductions of the law are no comparison to a potential loss at life. If it comes down to it ill call my self a conservationist rather then a hunter to throw the uneducated sprout eaters for a spin!!!! :p After all hunters are the true conservationists over time people have skewed the definition to confuse people.

Anyways what about scent eliminators? do any of you use a scent eliminating product especially when bow hunting? and which product to recommend ? i feel like there is to much marketing in that aspect of hunting and can't see around the curtain of advertisement ??

Don't backpack much (or at all... ;)), but I have tried all kinds of scent illuminators.....I've showered before going out with scent free soap, I've brushed my teeth with scent-free toothpaste, I've put my cloths in scent lock bags, I've washed my cloths in scent free soap, I've sprayed myself down, and I've bought & used scent lok clothing.......You know what?......When deer are down wind or get in that zone......They still bust me......Just my 2 cents

ps.....I'm not saying go eat onions, have a cigar, or leave your cloths in the dirty cloths hamper, while hunting either......Maybe they help in the distance they pick you up...... ???

Just like Bonejour said, always check with your local Forestry/ Law Enforcement to get in the know about current fire conditions/ situations. In some of the areas I frequent, there are fire pits near the trailheads so if for whatever reason I wanted to hang out, I'm legal. Another reason I carry one is because to my understanding, backpacking "stoves" can fall under campfires and may need permission to operate. I am just trying to get as legal as I can. It's free, takes a few minutes to get, and weighs nothing in your pack.

Ya I watch animals pass all the way to exactly downwind before they bust me. I use scent free soap all the time (hunting or not) because I don't care for all the perfumes, but if you eat onions or garlic within a day of hunting, that's a much bigger issue than the soap you use. Earth oil is pretty cheap and you can put a couple of drops on the ground where you stand. Oils carry scent a lot better, so use that to your advantage if you're going to try scent.

I think ill pass on the scent control for now...... I don't plan on ever needing a fire while hunting so close to home. Thanks for sharing all your guys's pack equipment, i like to be a minimalist and light weight so wen i get that kill i don't have to be weighed down by unnessicary gear i guess...... I fell i can never be to prepared for being in nature but make sure i have enough food and water to last me two days... by then family would be out looking and lets be honest there isn't much land in San Diego that would take you more then two days to reach the nearest road!!!!! Thanks again guys ;)

I've also heard that all the scent elimination stuff doesn't do much and the best thing you can do is keep the wind in your face. You can carry a little pouch or container of talcum powder to spray in the air and see where the wind is headed if it's light.

gregg said:
I've also heard that all the scent elimination stuff doesn't do much and the best thing you can do is keep the wind in your face. You can carry a little pouch or container of talcum powder to spray in the air and see where the wind is headed if it's light.
Gregg, that's a great point about carrying a spray bottle to check the wind. I use climbers chalk but talcum is fine too, if not perfumed. The bottles are cheap at Target and Walmart. Get one with pop up lid rather than screw-on, so you can use it one-handed. Tie some string or rawhide to it that can hang out of your pocket, so the bottle is easy to find in your pocket with gloved hand. I'll post a pic of mine when I get home from work.

My list of stuff in my day pack:

Good knife
Game bags
Compass
Flashlight/head lamp
Cell phone and extra battery
Water (70 ozs)
Non-perishable food and snacks
Waterproof matches in sealed container
Space blanket
Quick Clot
Parachute cord
Hunting license & necessary tags + ID
Toilet paper and or moist towel thingy's
Lightweight bone saw
Latex gloves - (two sets)
Clothing (depends on weather regarding layering - I have a system I use)
Sometimes a GPS

On my person:
Weapon
Binoculars
Range Finder
Extra rifle magazine
Leather belt
Little squeeze bottle with corn starch (for the wind)

Obviously the pack config changes depending upon the hunt.

Im defiantly going to add a good flash light a head light and some water proof matches or a fire starter at least.......

but I'm definatly going to get a little squeeze bottle for wind direction

What is quick clot NBK ? I'm assuming its a type of wound dressing ?

Jdrivsd619 said:
What is quick clot NBK ? I'm assuming its a type of wound dressing ?

Quikclot is a chemically inert material in a mesh bag that speeds coagulation of blood, resulting in a stable clot that stops bleeding.

There are several good dressings that stop arterial bleeding:

QuickClot, KytoStat, and WoundSeal (formerly QR Powder)

Gotta have a stop bleed of some kind. Quick clot is good as any. I use celox because that's what I trained with. Just don't get an old school one that burns the wound Ouch :mad:

A first aid kit is a great thing to have on hand. Quick clot is good stuff if you have it, but bear in mind that direct pressure and, if possible, elevation of the wounded part, is the way to stop bleeding. Any cotton fabric will do as a dressing; cotton is a pretty good coagulant by itself, if you just keep it in contact with the wound. Just keep pressure on the wound.

Yeah what the surgeon said.....^^^^^

A good way to adjust your pack items is mentally put yourself where your hunting and go thru your pack one item at a time to see if it's really needed

I've been kicking around getting a personal locator device......some places I go if I broke a leg it's going to be days to get out.

MJB said:
Yeah what the surgeon said.....^^^^^

A good way to adjust your pack items is mentally put yourself where your hunting and go thru your pack one item at a time to see if it's really needed

I've been kicking around getting a personal locator device......some places I go if I broke a leg it's going to be days to get out.

John,

I was thinking this same thing last when I was in New Mexico turkey hunting. A long ways from nowhere in the Gila NF........Where do they sell PLD's?........Do they work in areas where there's no cell service?

PLDs work every where except under ground or big bridges (think car radio satellite) they are a great things to have if your out alone or alone with kids. every one should have one if you can afford it. ive used them in many countries and on top of big mountains on deep valleys. REI sells them as do most outdoor stores and amazon. no need for any cell coverage.

one note... i dont know about other stop bleeds but ive personally seen celox stop arterial bleeding fast and saved lives because of it. a stop bleed should at least be in every ones rigs, trucks, rangers, quads..... hopefully no one will ever need it but if you need it it will saves lives.

gregg said:
You can carry a little pouch or container of talcum powder to spray in the air and see where the wind is headed if it's light.
Here is a pic of my chalk bottle.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425438372.633400.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425438372.633400.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 37
I also use a small piece of yarn or feather attached to my bow when I'm close. Don't forget dry dirt works or leaves or grass.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu