Where to hunt? Orange County...

Almasy

May 4, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I'm totally new here. I did a lot of research but couldn't find anything. I living in Orange County.
Does anyone know any legal place to shoot? I only have a pellet 1.77 gun..

If you're shooting a pellet gun, there are tons of legal places to shoot it. You can't hunt with it unless it's gas / PCP powered. No spring powered allowed to hunt with. You already have your Hunter safety
Course and license? I know there are threads on this as I've responded to them. Do your research please.

8SteelTown said:
If you're shooting a pellet gun, there are tons of legal places to shoot it. You can't hunt with it unless it's gas / PCP powered. No spring powered allowed to hunt with. You already have your Hunter safety
Course and license? I know there are threads on this as I've responded to them. Do your research please.

You can't use spring powered pellet guns for hunting anymore?

Thanks for quick response. I planned to get my license and hunter course as soon as I got places to shoot.

I did lot of research though. However I couldn't find any place, my English is bad anyway. I'm afraid of if I made mistake to expose the rifle not in legal place, i will end up with trouble :'(

TaftHunter said:
8SteelTown said:

You being sarcastic?
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.

8SteelTown said:
TaftHunter said:
8SteelTown said:

You being sarcastic?
(f) Air rifles powered by compressed air or gas and used with any caliber of pellet, except that wild turkey may only be taken with a pellet that is at least 0.177 caliber.

that includes spring powered because, spring powered is also considered compressed air because the spring creates an air chamber when it is released.

I've been using a spring powered air rifle for 10+ years and stopped by multiple game wardens, not one has said a thing about it being illegal

Almasy said:
Thanks for quick response. I planned to get my license and hunter course as soon as I got places to shoot.

I did lot of research though. However I couldn't find any place, my English is bad anyway. I'm afraid of if I made mistake to expose the rifle not in legal place, i will end up with trouble :'(

IMO, you're doing it backwards. Why do you want to hunt? So if you can't find good hunting spots in OC, you won't do the safety course or get your license? Forgive me for being a dick, but go get serious about hunting. Get a gun that will actually kill your quarry, do your research, and come back. You want us to give you hunting spots and haven't done any research. Go to www.wildlife.ca.gov and explore. All the rules and regulations are available there to at least get you into understanding how to identify places to hunt. If you are solely interested in hunting Orange County with a pellet gun, I'm not able to help you. Good luck.

Better explanation.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430772516.685238.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430772516.685238.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 63
TaftHunter said:
8SteelTown said:
TaftHunter said:
8SteelTown said:

You being sarcastic?

that includes spring powered because, spring powered is also considered compressed air because the spring creates an air chamber when it is released.

I've been using a spring powered air rifle for 10+ years and stopped by multiple game wardens, not one has said a thing about it being illegal

I'll have to go back and look but when I was researching I found 3 different kinds of air rifles: spring, air, and pcp. I was pretty dang certain you couldn't use spring powered. They sell your Benjamin in spring powered and air powered and they look virtually identical. What do you hunt that often with your pellet gun? Varmint?

8SteelTown said:
Almasy said:

IMO, you're doing it backwards. Why do you want to hunt? So if you can't find good hunting spots in OC, you won't do the safety course or get your license? Forgive me for being a dick, but go get serious about hunting. Get a gun that will actually kill your quarry, do your research, and come back. You want us to give you hunting spots and haven't done any research. Go to www.wildlife.ca.gov and explore. All the rules and regulations are available there to at least get you into understanding how to identify places to hunt. If you are solely interested in hunting Orange County with a pellet gun, I'm not able to help you. Good luck.
If I can't find a good spots, I just simply quit ??? I just don't want to waste much time on course then have nothing to do.
I actually have experience with pellet gun hunting, I shot hundreds of birds in my old country. I know the basic gun safety. I'm a US soldier.

I just completely new here in OC.... 3 hours of research didn't get me any luck ???

Yes, but spring powered is a type of air powered also.

I have a Benjamin npxl, but I have multiple Crosmans they only make in spring.
Why would they sell millions of spring powered guns if they were illegal? Small game/ varmints

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430773019.226215.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430773019.226215.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 68
Sounds like you're right. Guy from Pyramid Air said the same thing. No need to answer your rhetorical question. Hey Almasy, you can legally hunt upland game and varmint with your pellet gun. Good luck.

Those are good informations for me.
However, I still have no idea where I can go. Or should I take a safety course and ask some people there?

Almasy said:
Those are good informations for me.
However, I still have no idea where I can go. Or should I take a safety course and ask some people there?

The site that 88steeltown linked has all the regulations for this state

The easiest way to understand the boundaries is to take a map and outline the area based on the description in the regulations

Almasy said:
8SteelTown said:
Almasy said:

If I can't find a good spots, I just simply quit ??? I just don't want to waste much time on course then have nothing to do.
I actually have experience with pellet gun hunting, I shot hundreds of birds in my old country. I know the basic gun safety. I'm a US soldier.

I just completely new here in OC.... 3 hours of research didn't get me any luck ???

First, Thank you for your service.

What kind of birds and what kind of habitat in your country. You have Cleveland National Forest in OC which is pretty much the only legal place to hunt (STAY AWAY FROM STATE PARKS WITH A FIREARM). Go drive Ortega Highway and take one of the hiking trails and you'll see what I mean about trying to use a pellet gun. The bushes are 6 foot tall and all slammed together and sparse for trees. The trees you do find are either camp grounds or terrain that will be very hard to hunt. Especially if you're .177 is only deadly to 40-50 yards max.

Hunting spots are hard to find around and in Orange County. You're going to need more than a pellet gun to have any kind of success. Hard enough to hunt in So Cal. You're extremely limited on places to hunt if you aren't willing to drive more than an hour away.

Springers work just fine on possums, squirrels, cottontail, you get the drift.

In OC, unless you are related to Donald Bren, there isn't much in the way of hunting spots. Get a map and figure on driving for an hour or so. Two hours puts you in even better spots.

TonyS said:
Springers work just fine on possums, squirrels, cottontail, you get the drift.

In OC, unless you are related to Donald Bren, there isn't much in the way of hunting spots. Get a map and figure on driving for an hour or so. Two hours puts you in even better spots.

He only wants to hunt if people hand feed him hunting spots. People like this REALLY piss me off. Go do the f'n leg work like everyone else. If you're going to quit before you even start, you don't belong here.

8SteelTown said:
He only wants to hunt if people hand feed him hunting spots. People like this REALLY piss me off. Go do the f'n leg work like everyone else. If you're going to quit before you even start, you don't belong here.

Almasy,

Nobody is going to tell you where they hunt. If you've hunted before, then you should know this. The hunter course is a 1 day 8 hour class with a test at the end. I'm in LA county and the closest hunting spots I know of are an hour drive. If you're already doubtful of the effort you're willing to put in, hunting isn't for you. I've been hunting for 2-3 years and I only have 4 doves under my belt. I agree with 8steeltown, save yourself the trouble.

& thank you for your service.

Easy guys he's not from here......the U.S. can be overwhelming at first and he doesn't want to get in trouble. It would be like us thrown into a foreign country and don't speak the language very well and then you have laws that make no sense so you get frustrated and quite.

And the OC is very confusing when it comes to hunting. When I lived there I still went to the IV and else where because it was so hard to figure out......and it sucked unless you were in the Ivine family.

Thanks for your service

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu