Where to hunt? Orange County...

8SteelTown said:
TonyS said:
Springers work just fine on possums, squirrels, cottontail, you get the drift.

In OC, unless you are related to Donald Bren, there isn't much in the way of hunting spots. Get a map and figure on driving for an hour or so. Two hours puts you in even better spots.

He only wants to hunt if people hand feed him hunting spots. People like this REALLY piss me off. Go do the f'n leg work like everyone else. If you're going to quit before you even start, you don't belong here.
you misunderstood me
I can read map and find a good location, i just don't know if I can expose the gun within the law or not. I'm afraid that people will freak out if they see me with a rifle walking around. "wrong place" is what I am afraid of.

MJB said:
Easy guys he's not from here......the U.S. can be overwhelming at first and he doesn't want to get in trouble. It would be like us thrown into a foreign country and don't speak the language very well and then you have laws that make no sense so you get frustrated and quite.

And the OC is very confusing when it comes to hunting. When I lived there I still went to the IV and else where because it was so hard to figure out......and it sucked unless you were in the Ivine family.

Thanks for your service
thank you for understand me.

In my old country, Vietnam. I can go around with the hunting rifle on my bike, and if I spotted a bird, I can shoot it right from the street to the field.
Here is some example, you can expose your gun right on these place if you see any bird:

Qu%E1%BB%91c_l%E1%BB%99_1A_(Ph%C3%BA_Y%C3%AAn_-_Kh%C3%A1nh_H%C3%B2a).jpg

DSCF2133.jpg

some meat:

7863_3d0238e99a1aa3fc676616de644f98a9.jpg

And the reason I started this thread is we have different laws. What If I do the same as I was in Vietnam? Walking with a rifle, around hiking people? Stop in middle of desert highway and expose the rifle? I really want to know they are legal or not.

I can find a place for myself, but If i choose wrong place, I may have a special place in police car.

No, We can not just pull over & shoot anything from any street. If your going to shoot at any Big game, birds or any other animal, you have to have a hunting license and a animal tag if necessary, Or upland game tag for most birds.

Get signed up for your hunter safety course so you can get your hunting license. After you get it send me a PM and I'll take you out dove hunting or predator/rabbit hunting. I don't hunt in Orange county.

Almasy, thanks for your service.
Even though you know firearm safety and have experience hunting with a pellet rifle, the hunter safety course is a good place to start getting an idea of when and where you can hunt in California. As far as legal places to hunt, you need to know the seasons and what species can be hunted at which times of year, and you'll need a license with necessary stamps. But in the end you'll need to put in leg work to find birds to hunt.

Mark, that was dead on advice (btw love those dogs!)

Ok, here is the deal. Look online for National or state forests. If you check the DFW website there will be areas. Also if you check Bureau of Land Management (federal) they even have maps for you to look at or print out. To find areas you need to go buy a map and look for forest areas usually mapped in green. Once you find one close check on their webpage to see if hunting or shooting is allowed. There is a difference.

Some will not permit shooting but will allow hunting. It sounds technical but it is not. No Shooting means you can not bring cans and bottles, shoot them and leave them.

Hope this helped.

Thanks Tony

The hunter safety....Like was said by Don is your first step and you should do it ASAP. I think their is an online test in any language. Take that first to practice the correct answer too get your "safety card" as they call it. Then your Set to start hunting with in the regs.......just need to get a shotgun 12ga........SBE 1 in mod 26"L........???

SurfNHuntSD said:
Rollin around with a rifle on your moped thats hardcore haha. Are those mongoose u shot or some kind of squirrel?

Yes, that kind of hardcore :) they allowed in Vietnam. Usually we go with a partner, one drive, one with the rifle behind spotting for birds.

Those are a kind squirrel

PICT0115.jpg

There are many kind of bird that you can hunt in Vietnam. If you go to the forest you can find snake, monkey,... some of them are prohibited so just be careful.

TH.jpg

15122010082.jpg

Back to the thread. I will to take a safety course first. Hopefully I can find more information there.
Thank you all for your help! ;)

I'm pretty sure some of those birds were delivering babies to the hospital before you intercepted them.... what a shame!

nicapopolis said:
I'm pretty sure some of those birds were delivering babies to the hospital before you intercepted them.... what a shame!

What do you meant?
They are totally legal, to hunt. We have hunting license and hunting course in Vietnam too, and we know exactly what kind and what season that we could take.

Almasy said:
nicapopolis said:

What do you meant?
They are totally legal, to hunt. We have hunting license and hunting course in Vietnam too, and we know exactly what kind and what season that we could take.

I'll let Nick explain........He was just visited by the stork......... ;)

Almasy said:
nicapopolis said:

What do you meant?
Now this might come as a shock and be slightly different than Vietnam, but in America those big white birds delivery babies.

... soo in essence someone did not receive their babies that day. Quite a shame.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431007941161.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431007941161.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 154
Maybe I understand now, is that different beliefs in countries/culture? I never heard about that before.
Well, at least I learned one lesson here to prevent stupid action in future.

I did some google research on wiki, the "white birds" that delivery babies are Stork, right? The one we hunt in Vietnam is "Little egret," not Stork. I'm not sure if they are related.

I think some of you guys should take it easy on Almasy. Perhaps if he had started with his background and pics, or rephrased his questions, the outcome would have been different, but I feel bad about the reception he received here.

Almasy, it looks like you are serious about hunting, so you should definitely take the hunter safety course (as you said you would). Your questions regarding legalities will be answered, or you will be given the resources you need in order to find those answers. Thank you for asking before proceeding. I met some guys recently who were about to head out into an area with their shotguns where they are not legal, and there are conversations on this website all the time discussing this same thing. Better to ask first.

As for where to hunt, it's not true that nobody will tell you where to hunt- many are willing to help out new hunters. Some of the guys who have replied to this thread help out the noobs all the time. Knowing where you can and can't hunt is probably the #1 problem confronting hunters just getting started in SoCal.

The Hunter safety course will educate you on how to transport your gun, care for the game after shooting, and much more.

Get maps of the Cleveland National Forest, and the Bureau of Land Management maps for your area. Those will get you started.

Go hiking. If you see hunters, stop and talk to them. Ask them what areas nearby are closed to hunting.

Join a club or two. National Wild Turkey Federation, Ducks Unlimited, etc. If Quail Forever (may not exist anymore) or Pheasants Forever has a chapter near you, join up, and participate in any events (especially work days) that they organize. Make some friends, ask questions. Don't ask for their hunting spots. If they want to take you hunting, let them offer. Ask for information on HOW to determine whether or not it's legal to hunt in a specific area.

If you are persistent, you will find places to hunt, and you will have a lot of new friends and acquaintances who are willing to help.

El Matavenados, thank you for your help.And sure I will take a safety course next two week. Since I am too new for this country, I have to be careful at anything until I know what I can do.

I have one noob question, I need to transport this pellet rifle from my home to my uncle's home. And I have no license at this time. Can I put my rifle in the trunk like this? It unloaded and separated pellet ammo in the glove box.

10986677_10203793671029621_8474311405457160519_n_zps7ucbiqgi.jpg
11150946_10203793670869617_1942249125319418982_n_zpsbrnndy6r.jpg

Almasy said:
El Matavenados, thank you for your help.And sure I will take a safety course next two week. Since I am too new for this country, I have to be careful at anything until I know what I can do.

I have one noob question, I need to transport this pellet rifle from my home to my uncle's home. And I have no license at this time. Can I put my rifle in the trunk like this? It unloaded and separated pellet ammo in the glove box.

10986677_10203793671029621_8474311405457160519_n_zps7ucbiqgi.jpg
11150946_10203793670869617_1942249125319418982_n_zpsbrnndy6r.jpg

Yes........But places like LA County have some pretty strict rules about guns....Always check local jurisdictions....All this can be checked online.

Don,

Very nice reply in the helping of Almasy........ ;)

Almasy - I like your style. You remind me of me when I was younger. Good stuff right there.

Rolling in a Prius with a straw hat and a pellet gun hidden in the trunk. You will fit in well here my friend. Full on urban fowl warfare! The pidgeons down at McDonalds better watch out. Sneak attack in the silent hybrid next thing you now bam Gammo silent cat to the broadside.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu