Where to hunt? Orange County...

Almasy said:
El Matavenados, thank you for your help.And sure I will take a safety course next two week. Since I am too new for this country, I have to be careful at anything until I know what I can do.

I have one noob question, I need to transport this pellet rifle from my home to my uncle's home. And I have no license at this time. Can I put my rifle in the trunk like this? It unloaded and separated pellet ammo in the glove box.

10986677_10203793671029621_8474311405457160519_n_zps7ucbiqgi.jpg
11150946_10203793670869617_1942249125319418982_n_zpsbrnndy6r.jpg

Ummm.... Where to start? Well a "licence" is that to hunt? Gives no ability to transport a fire arm any different then any other person.
2nd a bb or pellet gun Is not a fire ar and is not restricted
3rd as long as a rifle or shot gun (long gun) I unloaded you can transport it in the window or on your lap or?...
So go take the safety coarse and please read all laws for your self ASAP

Attachments

• 10986677_10203793671029621_8474311405457160519_n_zps7ucbiqgi.jpg
    10986677_10203793671029621_8474311405457160519_n_zps7ucbiqgi.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
I will :)
I have safety class tomorrow. Thanks your your reply.

Truduct said:
Rolling in a Prius with a straw hat and a pellet gun hidden in the trunk. You will fit in well here my friend. Full on urban fowl warfare! The pidgeons down at McDonalds better watch out. Sneak attack in the silent hybrid next thing you now bam Gammo silent cat to the broadside.
I didn't realize that I always bought "silent" stuff. haha :D

Almasy,
I'm new to hunting as well so I understand you want to go out and hunt but you need to know the rules and the steps.
Hunting safety class should have been the first thing on your check list, even before you purchase a hunting firearm.
Most of your questions about rules and regulations would be already answered if you would have taken the test, it's inexpensive, educative and fun to do. You will meet good guys there and they will educate you. Once you pass the test (which is very easy if you pay attention), go to a Department Fish and Game office and ask them what kind of license and tags you need for the game you want to harvest. They will also put you to the right course.
I also suggest that you read some of the previous threat, there are many answers. One of the threat that is very good is about hunter's ethic, sorry I can find the link but maybe someone knows where to find it and post it.
Good luck to you.

i'm thankful for all of your help. I just got safety certificate couple hours ago ;) first step done

Congrats.............. 8)

Now learn the regs backwards & forwards.......If in doubt about something, PLEASE ask questions....... ;)

Almasy said:
El Matavenados, thank you for your help.And sure I will take a safety course next two week. Since I am too new for this country, I have to be careful at anything until I know what I can do.

You're welcome, and welcome to the hunting community. Sorry for the delayed response.

Congratulations on completing hunter safety. Get your license, and go hunt!

I am really new to hunting and my family have no hunting background. In fact just started reading up on it this month. I've read the DFG website about the Hunter Education and license & tags etc.

This might be a very stupid questions, but after I got a license and wants to hunt small games like rabbit. As long as it's within the season and area, I can hunt it or is there something else I need to do? Let's say I go to the Cleveland National Forest, do I need to notify anyone that I'm hunting or can just drive to the right area and start hunting rabbit?

Not after anyone's hunting spots, but how would I know what locations might container what type of animals? I don't want to go hunt rabbit and come face to face with a bear. Is it just experience or can I read up on it on a website?

Last questions.... I'm reading the regulations and it says "•(g) In addition to the methods listed in (a), (b), (c), (d), (e) and (f) above, firearm rifles and pistols may be used for taking rabbits and squirrels only; except in Los Angeles County where rifles and pistols may not be used." I can't use a .22 rifle to kill small games if I'm hunting in LA Country? Seems like I'm only limited to air rifle/shotgun, unless I learn bow or train a falcon haha. Did I misunderstood the regulation?

Reg 302,

1st off, welcome to SCH.......Secondly, you should probably post up in the Newbie Den......To answer a couple of your questions.

When it says rifles are illegal in LA County.....That's pretty much what it means. There are zones though that it may be legal within the county.....Buy a shotgun, if you don't have one. Opens up many more hunting opportunities.

You can hunt anywhere in the Cleveland NF as long as your at least a 150 yds from any buildings (there's lots of places where homes are near the boundary). No need to notify anyone that your in the forest. Same goes for BLM land. Wildlife areas which are also legal to hunt, you do have to fill out a card that your on the property. (no charge with hunting license).

Read your regulations backwards and forwards (and ask lots of questions)......Coming across bears, lions, and other creatures is just part of the deal, even if your just hunting rabbits. They're normally just as afraid of you as you would be of them. Be more concerned about rattlesnakes (very common in SoCal).

Hope this helps a little.......Read this.......http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,6032.0.html

Ok Thanks!

You are right. I should have posted in the Newbie Den. I just got caught up reading this post about where to hunt, which I wasn't clear. Sorry!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu