Wild Dogs

Moe Terboat

I picked up trail cams this weekend I got a surprise. There seems to be a pack of wild dogs that are running through that area. How dangerous do you think these dogs are?

Attachments

• PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • PICT0040.JPG
    PICT0040.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • PICT0061.JPG
    PICT0061.JPG
    962.8 KB · Views: 43
  • PICT0112.JPG
    PICT0112.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
looks like a bitch with pups.... how far from people are you in this spot?

The wild dogs have killed at least 3 cows & calves on MCC properties.......One dog has been eliminated.......Tough to pattern.......Would like to talk to you if this was on MCC.

This was on MCC. Seems to be about 6 or 7 different dogs. PM me.
Wanted to hunt the area for archery but with only a bow and that many dogs could be a problem if they aggressive

Moe Terboat said:
This was on MCC. Seems to be about 6 or 7 different dogs. PM me.
Wanted to hunt the area for archery but with only a bow and that many dogs could be a problem if they aggressive

The one killed was very aggressive.........I saw them last year and should've taken the one black one out.......They were chasing deer.......Area 51.

pm sent

That's up in Dyche Valley I think, where Matagi and I were 8 days ago. The only fresh sign was what we assumed was cougar scat (too big for coyote, but now that I think about it, it could have been a large dog given what my lab can put out when motivated). The scat was filled with black fur and the remains of a calf were nearby. Larry and I were in 51 Saturday and went up above the scout camp to glass. No sign of them. We are going up again this weekend. Will PM you.

Not in Dyche valley or will valley. I posted pictures earlier of Dyche Valley waterhole with the cougar that is standing guard there. I regularly scout up there and there was less and less sign of deer by that water hole so I put up a camera to see if it was a big cat and sure enough it was. There was some sign way way way back in there towards the mendenahall valley but I had to hike about 5 miles way back through some pretty thick stuff, def wouldnt hunt the area though. It would be a nightmare to carry a deer out of there. Looked like a lot of pig tracks out there as well...

Yeah, as we walked through there I decided I wouldn't hunt that area alone. I also wouldn't hike there without a firearm.
;)

The question is "do wild dogs count in the predator contest?" could be a good chance for some of you to catch up in the rankings.

I personally wouldn't worry about them. I get them in my spot some times and they scatter when I confront them. They should be easy to kill. No wild instincts.

Invisible man said:
And posting them up dead may look bad to some people who already don't like us. ;)

Certainly agree with this.......Posting would be a no-no.......As far as being wild?......I think they're very wild and run like no other when I confront them. They're instinct to survive is very apparent........Kill anything edible!

Steve is right; these dogs in particular are wild, not feral. One of the group went after a rancher (from behind) a couple of weeks back, and the rancher barely had time to react before the dog reached him coming up out of a draw. But they'd look tame enough dead, so no photos.

My issue is that I will be walking out there in the dark to set up with only a bow. Granted the dogs probably don't hunt much as the pictures taken were during daylight hours, I still don't need 5 dogs running up on me with only a bow. I do not plan on killing them unless I get permission from the owner. If I am told to leave them be then that is what I do. Real question is, do you think the dogs chased out any bucks in the area?

I have permission just down the road from MCC prop (& res).......This property was loaded with deer before the dogs moved in.......Not anymore.......This year they will be shot on sight!

Back