Winchester SXP Pattern for Yotes?

Cknight60

Jun 4, 2014
Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a new winchester SXP 28" black shadow. I want to do some coyote hunting with it. I patterned it using HEVIshot Dead Coyote 3" and a Carlson's turkey choke (.665) at 55 yards. I wasn't sure if the amount of hits i got at this yardage was sufficient? Thoughts?

16640383623_fd70a2d7d0_z.jpgIMG_3281 by jertot15, on Flickr

17258578492_8932d8b480_z.jpgIMG_3281 by jertot15, on Flickr

Hevi-Shot what?.....Dead Coyote?......If so, shooting it thru a turkey choke could ruin your barrel (bulge).

Remember, Hevi-Shot is not forgiving like lead. I've always got the best patterns with Hevi-Shot out of a plain modified choke.

Oops sorry for not specifying! Yes, it is the dead coyote ammo. I double checked the choke and it says, "Shot Type: Hevi-Shot, lead, or copper plated lead." Do you think its safer to avoid the HEVI shot and stick with led #4 buck? I was a little surprised at the cost for the HEVI shot as well. ($70 for 10) Thanks for the info!

Hevi-Shot was created to compete and be similar to lead for waterfowlers.....Yes, 4 buck is good.....I'd get rid of the turkey choke either way.....Tightest I'd go would be imp. mod......2 cents.

Like Steve said mod choke......the dead coyote loads are good & expensive.......the pattern doesn't look bad but id aim low......bead on bottom of target if you had the bead dead center for the test but it's splitting hairs at that point

I use a Carlson's coyote choke in my Browning Maxus for coyote and turkey hunting. It is .663 and I shoot 3.5" Hevishot Dead Coyote in T shot through it for coyotes and 3.5" Hevishot Magnum Blend in the 5,6,7 size for turkey. Carlson's told me it was safe to shoot Hevishot through that tight of a construction but to stay away from shooting steel through that particular choke. So far I have killed a coyote at 74 yards and a turkey at 55 yards using the above choke/load combos.

Josh Pearson said:
I use a Carlson's coyote choke in my Browning Maxus for coyote and turkey hunting. It is .663 and I shoot 3.5" Hevishot Dead Coyote in T shot through it for coyotes and 3.5" Hevishot Magnum Blend in the 5,6,7 size for turkey. Carlson's told me it was safe to shoot Hevishot through that tight of a construction but to stay away from shooting steel through that particular choke. So far I have killed a coyote at 74 yards and a turkey at 55 yards using the above choke/load combos.

There you go!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu