Winchester SXP Pattern for Yotes?

Cknight60

Hi Everyone,

I recently picked up a new winchester SXP 28" black shadow. I want to do some coyote hunting with it. I patterned it using HEVIshot Dead Coyote 3" and a Carlson's turkey choke (.665) at 55 yards. I wasn't sure if the amount of hits i got at this yardage was sufficient? Thoughts?

16640383623_fd70a2d7d0_z.jpgIMG_3281 by jertot15, on Flickr

17258578492_8932d8b480_z.jpgIMG_3281 by jertot15, on Flickr

Hevi-Shot what?.....Dead Coyote?......If so, shooting it thru a turkey choke could ruin your barrel (bulge).

Remember, Hevi-Shot is not forgiving like lead. I've always got the best patterns with Hevi-Shot out of a plain modified choke.

Oops sorry for not specifying! Yes, it is the dead coyote ammo. I double checked the choke and it says, "Shot Type: Hevi-Shot, lead, or copper plated lead." Do you think its safer to avoid the HEVI shot and stick with led #4 buck? I was a little surprised at the cost for the HEVI shot as well. ($70 for 10) Thanks for the info!

Hevi-Shot was created to compete and be similar to lead for waterfowlers.....Yes, 4 buck is good.....I'd get rid of the turkey choke either way.....Tightest I'd go would be imp. mod......2 cents.

Like Steve said mod choke......the dead coyote loads are good & expensive.......the pattern doesn't look bad but id aim low......bead on bottom of target if you had the bead dead center for the test but it's splitting hairs at that point

I use a Carlson's coyote choke in my Browning Maxus for coyote and turkey hunting. It is .663 and I shoot 3.5" Hevishot Dead Coyote in T shot through it for coyotes and 3.5" Hevishot Magnum Blend in the 5,6,7 size for turkey. Carlson's told me it was safe to shoot Hevishot through that tight of a construction but to stay away from shooting steel through that particular choke. So far I have killed a coyote at 74 yards and a turkey at 55 yards using the above choke/load combos.

Josh Pearson said:
I use a Carlson's coyote choke in my Browning Maxus for coyote and turkey hunting. It is .663 and I shoot 3.5" Hevishot Dead Coyote in T shot through it for coyotes and 3.5" Hevishot Magnum Blend in the 5,6,7 size for turkey. Carlson's told me it was safe to shoot Hevishot through that tight of a construction but to stay away from shooting steel through that particular choke. So far I have killed a coyote at 74 yards and a turkey at 55 yards using the above choke/load combos.

There you go!

Back