Wyoming Passes 90/10

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway

TLDR: Wy cut non-res tags by 50% or more on sheep, bison, moose and goat to 10% of all tags. For us who dont have a bunch of points we basically pissed away some money the last several years. Elk, Deer and Antelope are next and will probably be subject to the same quota.

What is the reasoning for this?
Mostly pressure from residents wanting more tags/opportunity I believe. The last two years hunting out of state are the only two years I have ran into a hunter who clearly didn't like me because I wasn't from their state. I get the feeling that type of resentment/entitlement is growing.

WY is also looking at taking that 10% and giving half of that to outfitters. Leaving essentially 5% to non-res DIY guys.

Well.. according to some..they do exist..I'm not sure who the some are..but I've heard story's of the 16 and parkland ...oh man.

Well that sucks, it was already unpalatable to build points for those species considering the price -- this just makes it a no-brainer to avoid.

But 'Worst Article You'll Read This Year' is kind of tone-deaf

California has the worst and most unfair non-resident hunting plan in the West.

Just saying.

I have quite a few points for deer, elk and pronghorn in Wyoming. Might have to cash in a some point. Or not.

Reactions: 180ls1
I've gone to Wyoming the last 2 years was able to draw antelope buck tag the first year and 2 doe tags last year. As far as the deer buck tags first year no but 2nd year I did draw... I also draw a cow, fawn elk tag... last year they pulled 20,000 tags off the the table for antelope due to a bad winter kill. Not sure if they put them back on the table... the area we hunted had alot of antelope. So we're going after the area again. This us what I got 2 years ago. The one in the middle with the habitat. This was done by a guy named Justin who owns Living Legends... does awesome work every thing I saw looked so alive and life like.....IMG_4415.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bailed on Wyoming when they started charging for points.... except for elk. Wyoming had some of the best N/R odds for sheep and moose... no more. I have 15 elk points and have a good chance to draw this year and get out completely. Looking forward to it. If I were to move... it would be to Wyoming. Colorado will be implementing similar changes soon.... Ed F

We ran into some local hunter resentment last deer season in Utah. We were filling the vehicles at a local station when we were approached by 3 individuals from that small town who let us know how unfair it was for us to be hunting when they weren't able to. They got a little heated in their description of the situation, but fortunately the members of our party remained calm and they eventually apologized, recognizing we hadn't created the problem. It was a little unsettling, but I can certainly see their point of view . I'm sure we will see nonresident quotas change for the worst in most western states.

I bailed on Wyoming when they started charging for points.... except for elk. Wyoming had some of the best N/R odds for sheep and moose... no more. I have 15 elk points and have a good chance to draw this year and get out completely. Looking forward to it. If I were to move... it would be to Wyoming. Colorado will be implementing similar changes soon.... Ed F
I imagine there will be a run on tags in WY this year. I hope you draw it! I hear you on WY, western WY puts you close to so many killer states/hunts.

What you you know about CO? Is there something in the mix or just grumblings and the inevitable change? I have a 50/50 shot on a elk tag there this year.

We ran into some local hunter resentment last deer season in Utah. We were filling the vehicles at a local station when we were approached by 3 individuals from that small town who let us know how unfair it was for us to be hunting when they weren't able to. They got a little heated in their description of the situation, but fortunately the members of our party remained calm and they eventually apologized, recognizing we hadn't created the problem. It was a little unsettling, but I can certainly see their point of view . I'm sure we will see nonresident quotas change for the worst in most western states.
Yikes! I had a similar experience in UT with a guy at a gas station a year an a half ago but he was far more passive aggressive then outright confrontational. Later that hunt I had another local laugh at me when I told him I was looking for a 130" buck. I guess the jokes on them....UT Buck 2020.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What you you know about CO? Is there something in the mix or just grumblings and the inevitable change? I have a 50/50 shot on a elk tag there this year.

OTC elk for non residents will be gone. It will be harder and harder to draw elk tags in Colorado. Ed F

Isn't Montana going the same way? What about Idaho? I know Colorado is going that way.
The good old days of going out of state maybe
numbered

Hunter resentment from locals towards outsiders is everywhere. You think those hunters in X12 and X9a are happy not getting a tag in their own backyard unless they have over 7 points? They are not happy with us showing up. When we get a draw, we just keep a low profile and tell them we are fly fishing.

John

Reactions: Wildgame
Hunter resentment from locals towards outsiders is everywhere. You think those hunters in X12 and X9a are happy not getting a tag in their own backyard unless they have over 7 points? They are not happy with us showing up. When we get a draw, we just keep a low profile and tell them we are fly fishing.

John
I've thought about that. I might start changing my tune when guys mouth off.

Who needs terrible politicians or greenies taking away our rights when we have "our own" treating each other so poorly?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu