Yeager in Training

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Well, the little man is growing up (20 weeks).....He has just been introduced to water retrieves and real birds.....Also, got him using his nose in tall grasses.....It's amazing how fast they pick up scent from what you want them to find..... 8)

Easy going lab, but a go getter & leaper in the water..... ;)

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    654.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    606.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    597.9 KB · Views: 35
good times. He will be getting birds in the fall. Get a blank pistol or even a cap gun to start getting him use to gun shots.

Steve are you doing the training or is Jacob doing it?

If he wants to run his dog with mine is be more then happy to do so.

Truduct said:
good times. He will be getting birds in the fall. Get a blank pistol or even a cap gun to start getting him use to gun shots.

Drew,

He's already been shot over with no problems.....I think he'll be a bull.....He will be ready this fall.

Mark,

He's a chewer!.....But not nearly as bad as Trigger.....lol

Brandon,

He lives with Jacob & Stefanie, but he kennels with Trigger at my house daily......Jacob works with him in the morning. I work with him during the day.....Shooting & retrieving marks takes both of us..... ;D

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    471.1 KB · Views: 25
Yep......He's almost as tall as Trigger and his feet are much bigger.....His disposition though is very gentle.....Think of Hoss Cartwright"..... :D

ps.....He's going to have to go some to out retrieve Trigger though.....That boy is fast & strong.... ;)

Huntndogs said:
Looking great Steve! Where is that water?

Mike,

It's Hodges...The water is so algae laden and he took a couple of big gulps when he leaped into the water. Thought maybe he'd have the $hits this morning..... ;D

Fish Zole gets most if not all of the water Protozoa

Green runny shits are the best.......spatula style pickup

ilovesprig said:
Huntndogs said:

Mike,

It's Hodges...The water is so algae laden and he took a couple of big gulps when he leaped into the water. Thought maybe he'd have the $hits this morning..... ;D

I didn't know they allowed dog/water contact...good to know.

Huntndogs said:
ilovesprig said:
Huntndogs said:

Mike,

I didn't know they allowed dog/water contact...good to know.

They don't.................... :D

ps.....When he gets more advanced, we'll be going to Henshaw...... ;)

:D. law breaker.... ;D. The ranger at Sutherland used to let me swim my dog there and would even allow her on hunt days if you showed up with a dog. Henshaw works, they let us use a .22 blank bumper launcher there. I need to get Wyatt in my boat, can I launch there?

Huntndogs said:
:D. law breaker.... ;D. The ranger at Sutherland used to let me swim my dog there and would even allow her on hunt days if you showed up with a dog. Henshaw works, they let us use a .22 blank bumper launcher there. I need to get Wyatt in my boat, can I launch there?

Mike,

Steve Raney works his dogs there all the time......And yes, you can launch a boat.

ps.....Lots of law breakers at Hodges...... ;D

Will Valley this morning with Yeager......No problem marking & shooting right next to him.....Learning to swim checked in today instead of the flapping dog paddle.....Our biggest problem is dropping the bird before he hands it off.....Prime candidate for "Force Fetching".....Just don't know, if I want to do it (I have a hard time with e-collars).

Trigger was a dropper as well, but not all the time (none of my other 4 labs were). In fact, the older he has gotten, the better he's gotten (he's now 7).

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    894.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 23
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    816.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    798.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    952.5 KB · Views: 25
MJB said:
Sometimes creating competition with another dog helps

Oh, he'll have plenty from Trigger......Right now, he's submissive to him.....Remember, he's still much smaller than Trigger, but catching up fast..... ;)

Another way get in the water before he touches and complete the retrieve that way he can't drop it and slowly work your way back to shore.

But force fetch will work better in the long run......talk to Bruce he has a guy that worked wonders on Angus and a Jagd is not a duck dog and FF is out they shut down. So he really understands dogs & duck hunting with dogs. He's a lab duck guy himself.

Steve, Force fetch can be done without e-collars, We do it without the use of collars unless they are a very stubborn dog. Give us a call or come by for a lesson and we'll show you how to get it done.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu