Young Hunter.

socalcowboy

Sep 12, 2012
Lakeside
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/16/young-bowhunters-trophy-buck-now-part-dfg-investig/?page=2#article

Something smells fishy!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

what are they charging him with..that's a giant buck!

I cant tell by the story but i hope he had permission in writting. That would be lame if he got busted after tring to go about it the legal way.

Breacher said:
ivhunter said:

Did you read the article?

sorry, didn't see pg1 first.. started on page 2 somehow.... crazy stuff... I hope all gets worked out..

Read the article and while I am disappointed I can't say I am surprised knowing who was involved.

Awesome buck, bigger than I originally thought.

My hope is that the Judge will dismiss the case and tell the GW to give the kid his deer back.

This kid was not out to intentionally break the law, he was not or did not put anybody in danger. This is a simple this is what you did wrong don't do it again type of situation. Instead it's going to go to court and actually create a bigger gap between the GW's ( especially this one) and the Hunters.

This is a great example of DFG laws being abused. This is a law intended for public safety and instead it is being used for a high profile bust. I have read through the fish and game code before and do not recall a barn as being listed as a type of occupied dwelling that your not allowed to shoot within 150 yards of. So I can see this as a mistake that I may have made which makes me feel more sympathetic to the hunter. It is unfortunate that this Warden could not take this into consideration (especially since misdemeanors do not go over very well when working for public agencies)but having heard and read of this Warden before he seems to operate with an all stick philosophy. I would love to find out more about the Hunter's legal fund and make a donation. Hopefully he can get the charges reduced to infractions so they do not damage his future employment goals.

here is the Code
http://law.onecle.com/california/fish/3004.html
(a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,
person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."

sounds like he blew it, with a next door neighbors barn so close and no permission. A lot of guys get busted for this in the IV hunting dove.

ivhunter said:
Breacher said:
ivhunter said:

Did you read the article?

sorry, didn't see pg1 first.. started on page 2 somehow.... crazy stuff... I hope all gets worked out..

When I opened the link at work it did the same thing, opened to page two. So initially I didn't know what he was charged with.

D16hunter said:
Sounds like a jelous game warden
I agree, the warden sounds like he wanted to bag that one, but when it boils down to it the rules are clear and he did break them, knowingly or not.
I wonder if the kid was on his radar if he already knew his name and that he was entered in a big buck contest.

I volunteer to be on the jury for this trial. Sounds fishy like the trial I was on with a sheriff and a boarder patrol agent.. Give them boxing gloves and settle in the arena...

socalcowboy said:
I volunteer to be on the jury for this trial. Sounds fishy like the trial I was on with a sheriff and a boarder patrol agent.. Give them boxing gloves and settle in the arena...

All the more reason why they wouldn't want you on the jury. ;)

This is the story I was telling you about Lungpopper (nice to meet you btw). There is going to be a fund started next week on another forum (TOF) if the chargers aren't dropped. There are a lot of influential people involved (on both sides) so this is high profile. From the story I heard, this is a case of jealousy and the infractions are being used to get the buck out of the contest (several people in the contest were targeting this buck). By the letter of the law, he may have been in the wrong by a couple of yards. In the spirit of the law, he did nothing wrong! Have you ever heard of anyone getting a speeding ticket for going 56 in a 55? Very similar case here.

Socalhntr said:
D16hunter said:
Was the game warden in the contest???
I can't confirm it but I've been told he is.

Too much second and third hand information in this case to pick a side. If the hunter committed a crime, regardless if we agree with the charge or not, that is on him. There are always two sides to the story and I've heard a bit from each side to make me undecided.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu