Young Hunter.

Agreed Breacher. The info I have is from the hunter's mentor (Steve T in the article) but it is still 2/3rd hand.

I can’t wait to hear more of the facts in this “Case”. It doesn’t sound like the punishment fits the crime at all. He admits to knowing the barn was there so yes by the letter of the law he’s busted on that. But he’s being treated like and labeled a poacher. Shooting to close to a barn is a safety violation not a trespassing / poaching offence.

“J-walking across the street to go into the bank doesn’t mean you are guilty of bank robbery. Or maybe it does in Pine Hills. “

That deer should not be confiscated the gw said the land owner could shoot 150 yards from the house even the their was a barn nearby on the adjacent property and then ahunter shoots a buck near by sounds like double standdard

Just to chime in, the Josh is a friend of mine and heard the story from him. there are some technicalities involved in the citation it's self and also Josh' hunt. I know Josh is a good kid who is a ethical hunter and someone who follows the law as best a human being can. Not saying he's 110% in the right but there are players in the background of this incident who are not so nice people. By the way I won a nice handmade skinning knife one year at the lake Henshaw deer contest, nothing like what SCH has.

A lot sounds wierd about this. Mainy how many people knew of this deer lol no one told me. I've met the gw befor. Treated me good but I have heard of some dirty doings

Latest on this young hunter -

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/17/young-escondido-bow-hunter-victim-selective-law-en/

Also heard they are going to get a hunter fund setup because he cant afford an attorney - I will post when I find more information

SoCalCowboy

Doesnt the dfg have something better to do? Like catch poachers not investigate legally taken deer. I think the law making it illegal to shoot within 150 yards of a house shpuld be change to exclude bows as long as the shot is in a safe direction. just my .02

That is just like California. I love it and dont think I'll ever leave but I hate it at the same time. I get a little bummed out when I think of the money I pay to dfg and this type of stuff happens. I know dfg does a lot of good work too but don't slam a good hunter for something like this.

brice s said:
wild story and truely a buck of a lifetime, hope he gets the cape and rack back no matter the outcome

There are only two ways that he can get it back.
1, The DA drops the charges 2, He goes to court and wins.
He cant even plead guilty to a lesser charge. It's considered a conviction, and its gone.

If any of you would like to help a fellow hunter out in his time of need, there has been an account set up here in Escondido. Mail your checks to "Josh Kettl Legal Fund" 326 W. 3rd Ave. Escondido, Ca 92025. Any donations are greatly appreciated.

P.S. A paypal account is also being set up, will post more information when I have it.

Lungpopper said:
brice s said:
wild story and truely a buck of a lifetime, hope he gets the cape and rack back no matter the outcome

There are only two ways that he can get it back.
1, The DA drops the charges 2, He goes to court and wins.
He cant even plead guilty to a lesser charge. It's considered a conviction, and its gone.

Sad thing is that is very unlikely in the wonderful state of california, but i wish him luck

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu