1/11/14 at henshaw

CaliCreole

Oct 26, 2011
Riverside, CA
Slow day over all. Reuben said he saw around 6 groups get skunked. The weather was absolutely perfect for fishing but didnt help much for getting the birds to fly.
Hunting here was a lot different then hunting San J, the birds are not as forgiving of mistakes as they are at San J. I got skunked on birds but picked up a hell of an education so i would say it was worth it.

Right now the best way to get the birds to decoy is to use full bodied decoys (wigeon, sprigs, and a couple mallards). Only use the spinning wing for the first hour or two and use the coots to your advantage. My last few limits were made by using coot decoys, full body wigeon and sprig decoys, wigeon, gaddy, spoonie, GW floaters, and honker shells all around my layout blind. Oh and hunt where there's food, look for water draining into the lake and look for bullrush. That's been my ticket for success at the shaw lately.

I stopped hunting there after they kicked me off the lake. I was hunting out of my layout in the middle of the lake.......said the boat was too small. Had a stringer of deks hooked to the boat. Just killed them that way. It also helped keep the birds moving. There was a lot more water in the lake back then too.

Good luck. I know guys who are pretty hush about the birds there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu